autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Intro and questions on getting started

Hello everyone,

Thank you for this forum and all the great info you all contribute. As someone new this website and forum have been a tremendous help to getting started.

I am not a professional detailer so I guess you could call me a driveway enthusiast. 25 years ago when I was a younger man I worked for a small private charter airline cleaning and detailing a variety of planes as the fleet returned and before the next day. I also did company cars or waxed the hanger floors while the fleet was out for the day. I suppose that's where my obsession started . Autodetailing is always something that was zen for me and I need more of that in my life right now. I have watched 100's of hours of YouTube vids, this site, and read a lot of info in the last few months. Amazing how much has evolved.

I recently purchased an RV with Gel Coat and a Ram 2500 Black Night Edition (black wheels, grill, badging, etc). Both I would like to take care of as they were large investments. I will not be able to garage the truck for a few months (next spring) and I live in the northeast. I have a hose hook up inside the insulated garage and central vac as well, but its not a wash bay. Despite our weather we have plenty of days even in the winter where a wash is very possible.

What I have;
    • Buckets
    • Microfibers, microfiber mop on pole, mitts, waffle towels, wheel brushes, microfiber drying towel
    • Foam cannon and 2800 2.3gpm Gas pressure washer
    • Had a 10" orbital buffer but I think I threw it out with waxes and compounds that were 15+ years old
    • I was gifted a chemical guys kit which has a grit guard, snow foam, diablo wheel gel, butter wet wax, glass cleaner, speed wipe

Looking over the truck I just purchased there are some minor scratches and swirl marks that I just missed on delivery and the thing is huge as is the RV so I am thinking a polisher is a good purchase for me. I think the G9 seems like its in my budget for the couple times a year I will use it. Regarding the truck I would like to keep it looking new, but I live in the Northeast, my in laws live on a dirt road, its huge so I have already hit some small branches in peoples driveways. With this situation and my life being super busy with work, multiple fast routines are going to be more my speed. It doesn't have to be showroom ready I just want to keep it looking nice.

I am looking for advice on;

• polisher g9 thoughts?
    • Polishing compound for the light scratches and swirls on the new truck. Was thinking a finishing polish but this is a new area for me.
    • Wax, sealant recommendation. Was leaning towards Powerlock + & Collinite 845
    • Is an all in one possible?
    • Caring for black wheels tips?
    • I don't have a wheel woolie, can I use some old dedicated mircrofibers or wash mitts on the wheels?
    • Interior is mostly leather including dash, wheel, seats. Need an interior detail spray?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Post Thanks / Like

Intro and questions on getting started

Quote Originally Posted by Roborep1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for this forum and all the great info you all contribute. As someone new this website and forum have been a tremendous help to getting started.

I am not a professional detailer so I guess you could call me a driveway enthusiast. 25 years ago when I was a younger man I worked for a small private charter airline cleaning and detailing a variety of planes as the fleet returned and before the next day. I also did company cars or waxed the hanger floors while the fleet was out for the day. I suppose that's where my obsession started . Autodetailing is always something that was zen for me and I need more of that in my life right now. I have watched 100's of hours of YouTube vids, this site, and read a lot of info in the last few months. Amazing how much has evolved.

I recently purchased an RV with Gel Coat and a Ram 2500 Black Night Edition (black wheels, grill, badging, etc). Both I would like to take care of as they were large investments. I will not be able to garage the truck for a few months (next spring) and I live in the northeast. I have a hose hook up inside the insulated garage and central vac as well, but its not a wash bay. Despite our weather we have plenty of days even in the winter where a wash is very possible.

What I have;
    • Buckets
    • Microfibers, microfiber mop on pole, mitts, waffle towels, wheel brushes, microfiber drying towel
    • Foam cannon and 2800 2.3gpm Gas pressure washer
    • Had a 10" orbital buffer but I think I threw it out with waxes and compounds that were 15+ years old
    • I was gifted a chemical guys kit which has a grit guard, snow foam, diablo wheel gel, butter wet wax, glass cleaner, speed wipe

Looking over the truck I just purchased there are some minor scratches and swirl marks that I just missed on delivery and the thing is huge as is the RV so I am thinking a polisher is a good purchase for me. I think the G9 seems like its in my budget for the couple times a year I will use it. Regarding the truck I would like to keep it looking new, but I live in the Northeast, my in laws live on a dirt road, its huge so I have already hit some small branches in peoples driveways. With this situation and my life being super busy with work, multiple fast routines are going to be more my speed. It doesn't have to be showroom ready I just want to keep it looking nice.

I am looking for advice on;

• polisher g9 thoughts?
    • Polishing compound for the light scratches and swirls on the new truck. Was thinking a finishing polish but this is a new area for me.
    • Wax, sealant recommendation. Was leaning towards Powerlock + & Collinite 845
    • Is an all in one possible?
    • Caring for black wheels tips?
    • I don't have a wheel woolie, can I use some old dedicated mircrofibers or wash mitts on the wheels?
    • Interior is mostly leather including dash, wheel, seats. Need an interior detail spray?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    Look at the griots g15 or 21 and ad the g8 also. Alot of flat real estate with that truck and RV and a long throw will get er done faster. Having a 3” even with g9 is a necessity.

The griots creams are nice but don’t know if the correcting cream is necessary. Maybe try the perfecting cream for light scratches with their boss yellow pads

I would ceramic coat black wheels as they seen to always get dirty. If you don’t want to ceramic coat and wan’t something easy look at the spray and rinse ceramic sealants (Carpros Hydro2, Meguiars hybrid ceramic spray wax)

Get some wheel woolies or a speed master brush.

I’m not a wax/sealant guy. I’d coat it or use something like 303 nano graphene spray coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk