autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to do you guys reapply sealants if you are using a QD on top every car wash?

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I don’t think anyone in this thread thinks
    a new sealant “needs” a topper. It’s about
    drying aids and getting that just-waxed look.
    •Why would I want my vehicles’ Sealants
    to ever have ‘that just-waxed look’?

-Why, I’d bet that they’d be embarrassed
    if I were to take them out in public all
    greasy & oily looking...

•Using toppers as so-called “drying aids” on
    Sealants, regardless their newness, is still
    topping them...and that’s something I will
    not have the Sealants I use on my vehicles,
    to ever have to undergo!

-”Drying aids”:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to do you guys reapply sealants if you are using a QD on top every car wash?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    to ever have to undergo!

-”Drying aids”:

Bob
    Right, got it. And it’s still not a need for those discussing doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Right, got it.

And it’s still not a need for
    those discussing doing it.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Why would I want my vehicles’ Sealants
    to ever have ‘that just-waxed look’?

-Why, I’d bet that they’d be embarrassed
    if I were to take them out in public all
    greasy & oily looking...

to ever have to undergo!

-”Drying aids”:

Bob
    Hey I pretty much agree with everything you said there especially the whole “drying aid” thing which honestly just plain sounds silly but that’s what they call it..

I was stubborn as hell, and I too preffer not to meddle with my protection, but a little extra slickness and a drop of that oily look ain’t all that bad.how to do you guys reapply sealants if you are using a QD on top every car wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    Here is one of those odd questions that I do not see a lot . If you had a ceramic coating applied to your car , lets say car pro cquartz, then you maintain that coating with car pro reload every 2 months , but you are one of the many guys that may be using another product to boost your gloss even more everytime you wash your car , lets say a product like bead maker

What do you do after 2 months when reload has to be re applied and you just applied bead maker the week prior on your regular car wash. So bead maker is still on your paint .

Do you try to remove bead maker with some type of harsh soap or iron x , do you just apply reload on top of beadmaker ? , or do you just keep putting bead maker and forgot about reload .

This is where topping products on top of each other gets confusing to me . Specially if your last topper is a different brand

I have done both , just apply reload ( topper) after a good car wash , regardless of beadmaker being there or not , and then applying bead maker on my next wash . I have also used at least some type of harsh chemical to try removing bead maker to apply reload. I have also tried stop using bead maker for 3 weeks prior to reload application and hope for the best. At some point I even used elixir which is a version of reload, so it was easier to just apply reload, since they were both in the same family.

I see people all the time using a base coat and a topper , seems to be standard. If the base coat is something like a ceramic coating , its not to bad since you do not need to re apply that for a long time. But if the base coat is something like a 6 month sealants and your topper is use every week , then it gets tricky to me. Or if you are using a ceramic coating , a topper, and a drying aid, there is always that questions once you need to reapply the topper, how do I remove the left over of the drying aid to apply the topper every 3 months

How do you guys do it?, or do you guys just stay in the same family all together and find a QD that is using similar products than the sealant?
    Stick with Beadmaker as your topper. You are using it often so your coating is maintained just fine. Not many know but beadmaker does contain some silica. You will get about the same durability as Reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

I respectfully disagree with that.^ there’s definitely a difference between a little and nothing and if it’s a little or to be specific Carpro Echo diluted anywhere between 6:1-10:1 it definitely has the ability to make bare paint bead alot better than most people would think. I’ve tested it several times on my own cars bare paint when I 1st started using it. IME Ech20 is comparable to typical spray sealants at those stonger dilutions.

6:1 may be overkill for most, but on the other hand I would never consider Ech2o in the same category as products that leave nothing behind.

Fyi: These days I dilute Ech2o + Reload @3oz of each into a 32oz spray bottle. My dilution with both combined winds up being 6:1, which is stronger than most like to use it at.

Reason I mix it strong is for use as a waterless on full on dirty vehicles.
    You are correct as you are using a higher concentrate of EcH2O in your mixture. Most of use it as a drying aid at 1:20 which leaves a little something behind.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Stick with Beadmaker as your topper. You are using it often so your coating is maintained just fine. Not many know but beadmaker does contain some silica. You will get about the same durability as Reload.
    Include me as a former person who didn’t know BM contained any trace of silica. That won’t make me a huge fan of it, but interesting nonetheless and I’m surprised they don’t market the buzzword. I guess my ‘must-be-logical’ part of brain now feels slightly more warm and fuzzy that so many people top coatings with it. Not that anyone needed my quirky permission.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol... Think that’s why i love Ammo products. You Put down Reflex then Skin then Reboot then Spit then Hydrate for a drying Aid.

It’s like Topper Inception. Some people believe less is more.... good on them.... look at all the money their saving.

The thing is most who don’t top are usually looking for best protection. Those who do top want the best looks (gloss, shine, depth). Does it look better to yourself? Answers yes then it’s worth it.

Great thing about this is you detail YOUR car how YOU like. If you want suggestions.....ask.... if you love your regimen keep on doing it.

None of you guys are right.... and none of you are wrong. It’s a difference of opinion and the Toppers ain’t gonna change the non toppers mind and vise versa.

Have fun and Happy Detailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion but I don't understand why the OP wouldn't just use CarPro Elixir? It's in the "family" therefore compatible and a little goes a long way if you spray into a microfiber to apply. I have a bottle that's easily going to last me a year using it about every 3rd wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I respectfully disagree with that.^ there’s definitely a difference between a little and nothing and if it’s a little or to be specific Carpro Echo diluted anywhere between 6:1-10:1 it definitely has the ability to make bare paint bead alot better than most people would think. I’ve tested it several times on my own cars bare paint when I 1st started using it. IME Ech20 is comparable to typical spray sealants at those stonger dilutions.

6:1 may be overkill for most, but on the other hand I would never consider Ech2o in the same category as products that leave nothing behind.
    1:6? Wow, that's pretty concentrated, I bet at those ratios you do leave something behind. CarPro recommends the QD and WW ratio be 1:20 which is significantly less product in the mixture and most likely very little left behind. At 1:6 do you find it hard to spread, i.e. you get streaking or have to buff it off? Ech2O is really thick and I'm amazed at the "thickness" even at 1:20 compared to other QD's like Kenotec.

Fyi: These days I dilute Ech2o + Reload @3oz of each into a 32oz spray bottle. My dilution with both combined winds up being 6:1, which is stronger than most like to use it at.

Reason I mix it strong is for use as a waterless on full on dirty vehicles.
    Isn't this essentially Elixr...or more like a highly concentrated version of Elixr since you mix your Ech2O at much higher levels than typically recommended.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Interesting discussion but I don't understand why the OP wouldn't just use CarPro Elixir? It's in the "family" therefore compatible and a little goes a long way if you spray into a microfiber to apply. I have a bottle that's easily going to last me a year using it about every 3rd wash.
    I dont like elixir or reload too much anymore , thats why. I want to try something new

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast