autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Groits 3 inch or 5

Help me see logic here. I’m back into detailing and it’s time to start one step polish. That’s for two cars, one or two polishes per car per year. Both cars have lots of small areas, like 3 inch width areas.
    My ego wants a Rupes kit which with everything I’ll need (do consider this would be a single machine with a 3 inch backing plate) I’d be in for about $400. That’s with 5 pads and the polish I’d like to try. My logical side says that for about $20 more, I’d have a Groits Garage G8 and a G9 (3 and 6 inch machines) with everything else needed. Guessing I cut polishing time in half with 3 and 5 inch machines available. Why is this not an easy decision? Anyone work on their one car with only a 3 inch machine? Worth is very subjective but double the cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Groits 3 inch or 5

If you’re not grinding out cars often, get the Griots. I love mine and lifetime warranty is nice.

3. Likes Mike In Auburn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with switching out backing plates on 1 machine, how did you get to the thought of saving half the time by getting 2 different size machines? After my test spots I usually hit all the small areas first then go back and hit the larger areas, it takes under a minute to swap out to a different backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can polish your paint with a 3"/4" pad. I've done it with a Rupes Mini. I would much prefer polishing with a 5" pad and a 1,2,3" for tight areas.

If the G8/G9 fits your budget, go for it.

6. Likes Mike In Auburn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    There’s absolutely nothing wrong with switching out backing plates on 1 machine, how did you get to the thought of saving half the time by getting 2 different size machines? After my test spots I usually hit all the small areas first then go back and hit the larger areas, it takes under a minute to swap out to a different backing plate.
    Can you put a 3" backing plate on a G9? I know you can't do it on a Rupes 15/21.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the griot's tools. I sold my rupes 3 inch polisher. It served me well for years but I got tired of it stalling. The Flex PXE 80 seems to have more torque than the rupes 3 inch machine.

9. Likes John U liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I was thinking that a 3 inch machine would take a lot more time than a 5 inch machine on the large areas such as the hood, roof, door panels, etc. Regarding the backing plate switching; Rupes, Groits, Portal Cable all say no. You cannot switch from a 3 inch plate to a 5 or 6 inch plate. At first I called b.s., seems you agree. So if I may ask what machine do you use where there have been no issues going back and forth with a 3 and t inch backing plate?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Can you put a 3" backing plate on a G9? I know you can't do it on a Rupes 15/21.
    I have am email from Groits customer service saying no. From the message:

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for taking the time to email us here at Griot's Garage.
    Unfortunately we do not have an orbital that is compatible with both a 5 and 3 inch backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike In Auburn View Post
    I was thinking that a 3 inch machine would take a lot more time than a 5 inch machine on the large areas such as the hood, roof, door panels, etc. Regarding the backing plate switching; Rupes, Groits, Portal Cable all say no. You cannot switch from a 3 inch plate to a 5 or 6 inch plate. At first I called b.s., seems you agree. So if I may ask what machine do you use where there have been no issues going back and forth with a 3 and t inch backing plate?
    You can put on a 3" 5 or 6" on a Porter Cable and probably all the 6" orbital knock offs including the older Griot 6".

Post Thanks / Like

I used 3” and 5” backing plates on my old GG6 as well as a utility/fabric brush on it without issue. I considered the Rupes polishers as I value quality tools (I use Festool woodworking tools as another hobby) but the Rupes are more limiting when it comes to different size backing plates so I decided to upgrade to the GG8 and GG9 combo but just got them and haven’t used them yet. I also bought a 1.5” backing plate to go along with the 2” and 3” backing plates of the GG8 so I can get everything from the headlights to the trunk molding areas. And the GG9 can run 5” and 6” and has a better warranty than Rupes or Flex. And I’ve read about issues with the Griots, Flex, and Rupes so it isn’t like one of them is light years ahead of the others in quality.

14. Likes Mike In Auburn liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast