autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting from scratch, brand new "Super White" Tacoma

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have found so much information reading so far it's making my head spin. All great info but a lot to digest and put into use without a whole lot of experience.

I just bought a new Tacoma in Super White. It's not and never will be a show car nor do I want it to be, but I want to preserve it's value and make taking care of and keeping it clean as easy as possible. I've always waxed my vehicles in the past but especially during winter in Colorado, it doesn't seem to hold up very long. I looked into getting a professional ceramic coating job done but I've since talked myself out of that and am going to continue down the DIY path.

I never realized there was so much difference in the composition of different kinds of paints, but reading here I've since read here that "Super White" Toyota paint is a single stage paint with Titanium Dioxide used as tint which makes it very hard. I don't think any of my current paint care products are really up to snuff for a quality finish and protection, so I'm looking to purchase a decent DA, polish, sealer, and wax to get this truck shiny and protected.

Does anyone here have any advice or experience with this paint, that could point me towards some products (DA, polish, sealer, wax, clay bar, etc) that would be particularly good for this application? I also have a 2002 Tacoma in "Impulse Red" that is in great shape considering its age and what I've done with it, and a 1969 AMX that needs some serious paint TLC. I'm willing to spend a bit more on a DA if I need to as I'll be using it on these other vehicles and no doubt on others down the road, but my primary concern is getting this new Tacoma taken care of before proactively to make my life easier down the road.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing from you all and posting some progress pics when I get rolling on these projects!

Starting from scratch, brand new "Super White" Tacoma-whitetaco-jpgStarting from scratch, brand new "Super White" Tacoma-redtaco-jpgStarting from scratch, brand new "Super White" Tacoma-amx-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Starting from scratch, brand new "Super White" Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by 02TACO20 View Post

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have found so much information reading so far it's making my head spin.

LOVE reading comments like the above. Thank you for sharing.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 02TACO20 View Post

so I'm looking to purchase a decent DA, polish, sealer, and wax to get this truck shiny and protected.
    Best option for an entry level polisher with pro grade quality is the Griot's Garage G9. The Griot's BOSS compounds and polishes would also be a great choice as these are top notch products that use great abrasive technology. And might as well get matching Griot's BOSS buffing pads.

The above polisher, pads and products will take care of all your rides.

Love the 1969 AMX!

Now this is a CAR.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! The head spinning is a good thing, right? Thanks for the compliment on the AMX! That's about as close as you can get to it before all the flaws start popping out at you. I'll definitely share those once I begin fixing them

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Best option for an entry level polisher with pro grade quality is the Griot's Garage G9. The Griot's BOSS compounds and polishes would also be a great choice as these are top notch products that use great abrasive technology. And might as well get matching Griot's BOSS buffing pads.

The above polisher, pads and products will take care of all your rides.
    Mike, thanks for the recommendation on these products as well, I'll add those to my cart! On the brand new truck, would you recommend going over it will all 4 compounds or starting with one of the lighter ones?