autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D ONE for failed sandwich bag test?

Like Mike said, perfection in the claying step is nearly impossible to achieve. But... If that's what you're looking for be prepared to spend several hours getting there.

The only way I have found to get close to perfection is to work in sections, i.e., one panel (or less) at a time. Clay - Inspect - Repeat. Keep doing that until you achieve the result you desire. You will never get there doing the whole car at once.

When I have done it this way, it's usually 3 or 4 times over with the clay until the desired result is realized.

On the other hand, shooting for clay bar perfection can be a futile attempt, and completely unnecessary. Polishing, even with an AIO, will remove much, if not all, of whatever is left behind after claying. You can prove that to yourself by polishing a section and then doing another baggie test. In fact, I've often questioned myself as to why clay bar at all when polishing removes the contaminants so well. The answer I give myself is that some contaminants are so bonded that only claying will remove them.

Ultimately the answer lies in your test spot. If you can polish and achieve the desired result without claying, then why would you want to waste your time claying?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am definitely entering the learning mode of the "detailing process". Great advice of clay baring one panel at a time getting it to the stage of where I want it. I did the entire car and was a bit disappointed when doing the bag test. I thought having a relatively new car I would just clay bar and go right to the polish and LSP. Oh well ---- I'm about finished with the 3D ONE correction step (passing the bag test-for the most part) and will go on to the POXY for the LSP. This entire process is definitely an ongoing education. Thanks to the forum information it helps make the load a lot lighter. Thanks for all of the advice. ABSAV

Post Thanks / Like

You may also want to chemically decontaminate the paint with Iron-x too as this will also help with the baggie test.

It’s a fairly simple step too, spray onto the paint (while holding nose because it stinks so bad), spread over car with a damp microfiber towel, let dwell, rinse off thoroughly, Rewash car then on to the polishing / aio steps.

Just a thought.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Do you already own 3D One and Poxy? Sounds like what you're trying to achieve is basically what a good AIO would do. If you haven't purchased them yet might be better to just get BF One Step or 3D Speed and get it all taken care of with one pass. If you were looking for protection in a higher level then I'd not recommend those AIO products but since you mentioned Poxy and that isn't a long lasting product, an AIO might just get it done for you.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12