autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

hydrophobic /salt repelling tire detailer

I am going to spend around $750 on new rubber for my 2015 Forester. I would like to take care of the side walls so that they do not gather as much salt during winter and prevent browning eventually. I understand that browning is nothing but antioxidants doing their job but it looks ugly.

I can not take care of tires as often during winter so I am trying to find something that will create hydrophobic coating to repel as much salt from sticking as possible.

After noticing here, I started using Mother's Wheels and Tire cleaner this summer. It does the job but I don't think it is hydrophobic to repel salt sticking to it during winter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hydrophobic /salt repelling tire detailer

Look into a tire coating. Autogeek sells Optimum, DP’s and Pinnacle Black Label. I bought Mckee’s from them but they no longer sell.

Keeps tire pretty easy to clean and works best on new tires that haven’t seen tire shine. Just give the tire a couple weeks to bloom (release mold agent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That link you posted is a tire cleaner so of course it won't repel anything. You will want a tire coating as mentioned above. The tire coating I prefer is the one from McKee's 37. Tuf Shine is also another tire coating to look into.

5. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My tires are always coated and in the snow/salt it’s not going to matter. My tires will get hammered and for me the coating on the tires isn’t the same as paint coating to where a power washer can rinse almost all the gunk.

I know different tire brands take a coating or dressing differently and that may be what I see, during spring - fall the Mckees really holds up. I’ll go thru the lengthy process of cleaning and coating around Thanksgiving and after a few drives in the salted roads it’s almost gone.

Also note there’s been quite a few threads on coating new tires that turns out failing, I believe the release agent or whatever they use during the manufacturing process interferes with bonding of the coating. The good thing about tires is even getting trashed/neglected during winter they always clean up nice in the spring

7. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, KBsToy liked this post