autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I finished my first REAL detailing of my 2012 Forester

Wow... Did I learn a lot and also learn that something are not what I expected.

The first major thing I learned is clay bars are amazing! Holy moly, the clay bar was the star of the show. I never realized just how bad the contaminates were! I mean, my mind was blown! I am pretty sure I ruined half a clear bar doing it. Then again, it's a 2012 Subaru Forester from New England that I am pretty sure never even got a hand wash only touchless washes.

But my gosh... I mean... I thought it would help but I didn't know how amazing it is! I wants from run through my neighborhood showing everyone the difference on their cars LOL. Literally I did the hood and fenders and the. Was alike wow, it feels like new and everything else feels like sand paper.

The next thing I learned is I do need a proper DA legit buffer. Even if it is the $60 Baiter from Harbor Freight. They didn't have one in stock and I wasn't paying for shipping. And today was a cool overcast day and I needed to get this done. So I picked up a Ryobi plug in 6in hand orbital buffer. I would barely recommend it for waxing. It did not helpuch at all. Maybe it did but I think a legit DA buffer would get me way better results

With that said... After the clay bar I hit it with the Ultimate Compund. I was expecting better results from this. It did help make the paint look and feel like glass. But there were some imperfections and scratches it barely touched. With that said, I think that is my problem not having a right bugger and not understanding want a really light scratch was vs a light scratch vs a medium.

Some really light scratches it did take out or cover up. There is next to no swirling or hazing now. Not that there was a ton. But for some reason I was expecting better. I know it's not a Compund like I am used to, but I really felt more like this was a polish. Some light scratches it just kind of barely covered up.

Then I hit it with the Gold Glass Wax Paste. This went as expected.

Over all I was happy with the 3 hours I out into it LOL. Maybe next time I will be faster. And maybe as I get better and understand more.

But man, that clay bar! Wow! The paint really does feel so smooth now. And it does have a deeper floss and better shine. The only part I did not do yet is the front bumper and
    The roof. I ran out of steam and when I got to the roof I found a be bunch of pine tar.

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I finished my first REAL detailing of my 2012 Forester

Welcome to the addiction............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So I finished my first REAL detailing of my 2012 Forester

I remember that first "clay bar high". It really makes a difference.

With a proper tool you'll love the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28