autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer not wanting a full exterior detail even if needed?

2 part question.

1.) Customers wants to hire detailer to do their car. Ziplock bag test indicates customer has some contaminants in clear coat.
    Customer doesnt want to pay for clay bar "just wants a simple wash and wax"

What do you do? How much harm is there in applying wax without clay bar if you feel bumps on ziplock bag test?

Additonally im guessing most people at least do a minor coat of polish after every clay bar? (Im working completely by hand)

2.) Im in a sedan and have no way (to my knowledge) to transport water supply. Go to customers place and they cant provide water. First time detail for them so there is some contaminants and car has dirt on paint.

Going waterless for a first time detail ia pretty bad right? To my understanding waterless wash and wax sprays are really meant for mostly clean cars.

What can i do here?

Mike Phillips

Re: Customer not wanting a full exterior detail even if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsKYRO View Post

2 part question.

1.) Customers wants to hire detailer to do their car. Ziplock bag test indicates customer has some contaminants in clear coat.
    Customer doesnt want to pay for clay bar "just wants a simple wash and wax"

What do you do? How much harm is there in applying wax without clay bar if you feel bumps on ziplock bag test?

If there are contaminants built-up on the paint this also means there's a GREAT likelihood there is ROAD FILM on the paint too.

If they don't what to pay for claying, then simply use a great one-step cleaner/wax also called an AIO. It will clean off the road film and other surface staining and also remove "some" of the contaminants.

Additonally im guessing most people at least do a minor coat of polish after every clay bar? (Im working completely by hand)
    That's my rule. If I do ANY type of mechanical decontamination I'm also doing at least one machine polishing step. I've shared this on this forum for the last decade.

2.) Im in a sedan and have no way (to my knowledge) to transport water supply. Go to customers place and they cant provide water. First time detail for them so there is some contaminants and car has dirt on paint.

Going waterless for a first time detail ia pretty bad right? To my understanding waterless wash and wax sprays are really meant for mostly clean cars.

What can i do here?
    You can do a waterless wash. Just use the product heavy, or wet. Take lots of towels. Take dedicated towels for wiping down the wheels.

I wrote this BRAND NEW article just for you last week and posted it LAST Friday.

How to use the Cobra Super Plush Jr Microfiber Towels to do a Waterless Wash

The Cobra Super Plush Jr Microfiber Towels

It explains everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If there are contaminants built-up on the paint this also means there's a GREAT likelihood there is ROAD FILM on the paint too.

If they don't what to pay for claying, then simply use a great one-step cleaner/wax also called an AIO. It will clean off the road film and other surface staining and also remove "some" of the contaminants.

That's my rule. If I do ANY type of mechanical decontamination I'm also doing at least one machine polishing step. I've shared this on this forum for the last decade.

You can do a waterless wash. Just use the product heavy, or wet. Take lots of towels. Take dedicated towels for wiping down the wheels.

I wrote this BRAND NEW article just for you last week and posted it LAST Friday.

How to use the Cobra Super Plush Jr Microfiber Towels to do a Waterless Wash

The Cobra Super Plush Jr Microfiber Towels

It explains everything.

Hi Mike thank you for the detailed response. For the AIO for customers not wanting to clay bar by AIO are you referring to a product like Meguiars ultimate waterless wash and wax or something similar? If so i was not aware this could remove some contaminants as i already use this for door jams and and hard to clean areas.

Additonally for part 2 you said a waterless wash can be applied with heavy product, would this also apply to the meguiars ultimate waterless wash and wax (asking because i have this at home already)

Also thank you for the article i will read it on my lunch break.

Post Thanks / Like

For the AIO for customers not wanting to clay bar by AIO are you referring to a product like Meguiars ultimate waterless wash and wax or something similar? If so i was not aware this could remove some contaminants as i already use this for door jams and and hard to clean areas.
    AIO is "All In One" and refers to cleaner/polish/waxes, not washes. They usually contain some limited chemicals that remove mild contamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    AIO is "All In One" and refers to cleaner/polish/waxes, not washes. They usually contain some limited chemicals that remove mild contamination.
    Thank you. Now that i think about it i believe Mike has an article all about these AIO waxes i will look up when i get a chance

Post Thanks / Like

So this customer only wants to pay for a wash and wax from what I understand. I agree with Mike, just make the wax be an AIO. Honestly though, I would charge extra doing an AIO unless there is no plan to work it at all and literally just apply a quick, thin layer like a finishing wax... but I don’t think I’m personally capable if doing that... good thing I don’t derail for a living.

As far as customer not having water, you can probably carry a 5 gallon bucket of Rinseless wash and a bunch of microfiber towels. Also bring waterless wash (or Rinseless wash at QD dilution) and presoak first.

Post Thanks / Like

My minimus service includes: wash, clay if needed, one machine polish step.

Now if someone wants a simple “wash and wax” I suggest washing, using something like Optimum Car Wax and send it out the door. I personally don’t do this but there is a market for it.

Be honest with your client as to what the expected outcome of different packages will be.
    Jim

9. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    My minimus service includes: wash, clay if needed, one machine polish step.

Now if someone wants a simple “wash and wax” I suggest washing, using something like Optimum Car Wax and send it out the door. I personally don’t do this but there is a market for it.

Be honest with your client as to what the expected outcome of different packages will be.
    Or use WG Coating Wash for this type of simple wash and wax, with an up charge for the free weeks of protection versus a normal wash and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Or use WG Coating Wash for this type of simple wash and wax, with an up charge for the free weeks of protection versus a normal wash and wax.

Absolutely. Amazing product.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast