autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marks on front glass where rubber wipers sit. How to remove and keep from coming back?

I noticed on my car that I have some dark marks from where the rubber wipers sit on the glass. I can't seem to get it off. I was thinking of trying paint thinner next. Also how to keep it from coming back? Is there some sort of coating I need to apply to the glass or to the wipers themselves?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marks on front glass where rubber wipers sit. How to remove and keep from coming back?

Have you tried a melamine pad (more commonly known as a Magic Erasure)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marks on front glass where rubber wipers sit. How to remove and keep from coming back?

Instead of Paint Thinner, try Alcohol. And a good glass cleaner is always a good thing to have. Sprayway, or Invisible Glass are good ones, easy to get, and are both safe for use on inside tinted glass.

Rain-X is often a good product for removing cruds that run of the mill glass cleaners won't get. And I believe again that this product has a type of Alcohol.

Could it be your wiper blades are getting old? Might be time to replace them? Silicone Rubber Blades might have less propensity of causing such.

With Wiper Blades, often you do get what you pay for. Avoid the cheapies.

Many of the various glass coatings-rain repellents sold here are good to use on all outside glass.

Many people do treat their wiper blades with various products. Some might simply use some type of rubber protectant, or even a detailer spray of some sort.

And it's surprising just how dirty Blades can be, often a neglected item. Simple glass cleaner will take lots of nasties off of them.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the previous mentioned solutions are great options. You can also try a plastic razor blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    All of the previous mentioned solutions are great options. You can also try a plastic razor blade.
    Or even a metal blade.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish. It's a good product for your detailing arsenal - pretty foolproof and deep cleans in addition to being a light polish.

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish polishes and restores auto glass windshields and windows.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Magic eraser didn't work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

glass cleaner, 91% isopropyl alcohol and paint thinner didn't work. The wiper blades are the OEM that came brand new with the car. I think I need to use a polishing compound perhaps. Funny enough I'm trying to super clean the glass to apply a rain repelling coating. The blades might be due to be replaced, my vehicle is 2.5 years old.

Mike Phillips

I would us any compound, polish or cleaner/wax and some terrycloth and then simply rub hard.

You want to use one of the above that has clearcoat-safe abrasive technology, the fibers from the terrycloth and some good old fashioned Elbow Grease - the rubber residue will come right off and that portion of the glass will now be cleaner than the rest of the windshield.

Whenever I detail a car, whatever I'm using for my "first step paint correction product" I also use this to buff out all the glass.

What do you have for products?

10. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sqenixs View Post
    glass cleaner, 91% isopropyl alcohol and paint thinner didn't work. The wiper blades are the OEM that came brand new with the car. I think I need to use a polishing compound perhaps. Funny enough I'm trying to super clean the glass to apply a rain repelling coating. The blades might be due to be replaced, my vehicle is 2.5 years old.
    It's hard to place a life expectancy on wiper blades. I've seen blades that were some good years old on a garage kept vehicle in the Midwest that looked just like new.

Then blades that were 3-5 months old in the southwest desert that were totally shot.

The attempts you have tried should've worked, but guess they didn't Mike explains that a polish might help.

House brands here like Pinnacle, and Wolfgang make some very nice glass cleaning products that are designed to also remove water spots. I have the Pinnacle brand, very good, get's glass pristine clean.

I once too tried some various products, and even rain repellents to get some glass clean once, still looked pretty bad until I used the Pinnacle water spot and glass restorer. It's about the consistency of a creamy liquid hand lotion.

Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover, hard water spot remover, glass water spot remover, glass polish, water spot remover for cars