autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Polish and Pad Recommendations for a New Car

Quote Originally Posted by GotBPS View Post

I just bought a brand new black Honda Civic Si

I have everything I need added to my cart, but I'm still not sure which polish to go for. I know the only way to really tell is with a test spot before doing the whole car, but I don't have the budget to buy different kinds to polishes to test this out. What would be the "safest" polish to buy that would most likely deliver the results I am looking for. Currently the car has minor to no swirl marks and some water spots. Once again I really appreciate everyone's help as I am new to ceramic coating.

While I hate to generalize and in fact have an article on this topic, my experience as is the experience of hundreds and likely thousands of other detailers is that the factory paint on Honda's tends to be very soft.

If the swirls and scratches are shallow or light - then I think you could do the job with a high quality fine cut polish like the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Test it with a foam "finishing" pad first. If you need more cut, use it with a foam "polishing" pad.

For back-up - the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. Both of these are really nice products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I will make sure and post pictures of the car when I am finished. Probably in a couple weeks depending on how long everything takes to get here.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update. I have finally got the time to start and am on the polishing stage. The black gg pad with carpro essence is getting about 80% of the scratches out. Would going to a orange pad help get the rest of these out? Or what would you suggest. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

If that didn't do the trick the car is more scratched than you let on or I thought it would be for being new. You could try a more aggressive foam pad. If you've got scratches that aren't coming out with that combo I'd suggest a uro fiber pad (they're superb). You can correct and finish down with that on most colors, *maybe* black, too, but if not now you've got the black pad to fall back on.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think the problem was that I waited too long to do this. I have about 1500 miles on the car and have done about 4 washes since I got it. I will look into these pads thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that Essence is a finishing polish with little cut. Either go up with a more aggressive pad and/or a more aggressive product.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Keep in mind that Essence is a finishing polish with little cut. Either go up with a more aggressive pad and/or a more aggressive product.
    Exactly.

Just remember that when you are new to this, there is really no "magic bullet".

That is to say, you have to start somewhere and refine your pad/product until you are satisfied.

Don't get discouraged. Once you dial it in, you'll know what to use as long as you own the car.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think the problem was that I waited too long to do this. I have about 1500 miles on the car and have done about 4 washes since I got it. I will look into these pads thanks.
    If 4 washes added scratches that require stepping up a level in terms of pad or polish (I'd still do the pad) then you've got other problems. You need to have a serious look at your wash routine and equipment. Otherwise you'll do this, get your coating applied, and be wondering why you need to polish again in 18 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    If 4 washes added scratches that require stepping up a level in terms of pad or polish (I'd still do the pad) then you've got other problems. You need to have a serious look at your wash routine and equipment. Otherwise you'll do this, get your coating applied, and be wondering why you need to polish again in 18 months.
    I'll agree.

That said, he is dealing with soft black paint as a newbie. Double whammy. :/
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

The black gg pad with carpro essence is getting about 80% of the scratches out.

Would going to a orange pad help get the rest of these out?

Or what would you suggest.

The Griot's orange pad with Essence "may" remove the deeper scratches, you won't know until you do a Test Spot.

If it were me?

I would have done a TEST SPOT before I started and made sure I was getting the results I hope for and dream about BEFORE buffing out the entire car only to find out I'm not getting the level of correction I hope for, want and expect.

This is the entire purpose and idea behind doing a Test Spot.

Dial-in your process to one small section of paint BEFORE buffing out the entire car.

To your question - the orange pad "may" remove the deeper scratches with the CarPro Essence but the pad itself, because it's more aggressive than the black pad, my in an of itself leave micro-marring also called Pad Haze.

Again - a Test Spot will show you everything. I explain how to so a Test Spot in this video.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

This is my opinion is one of the best videos Yancy and I have ever made together and also one of the easiest to follow, understand and then implement the techniques video on the topic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123