autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most swirl resistant ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    I like to put my car up dust free, cover it, and have a totally clean car to drive when I uncover it and pull it out. I do a lot of other work in my garage and it gets really dusty.
    Then yes, get a cover. Some people, have garages where the vehicles stay pretty clean, others not so much due to areas they live, etc.

I think most will agree, the best car covers in the business are Covercraft, and they are sold right here. I've owned two for my Tahoe, first the NOAH, and then the Weathershield HD.

They are custom made to your specific vehicle. Usually the least expensive models will be indoor types, and Cotton Duck is one common material. With all covers, there will come a time where they will become dirty, and will need to be washed. And Cotton Duck, while adequately durable for an indoor cover might also be a fairly "bulky" cover to maybe place in a home sized washing machine. (Although for a car such as yours, they are surely smaller than say for a full sized SUV-Pickup)

I once had a custom fitted Cotton Duck Cover for my 1967 Corvette. It did the job just fine.

Nylon types that they make may be much more compact, more easy to store, They have a huge variety of cover materials and types, and if you call Covercraft, they will send you swatches of every material they use free of charge so you can examine them, and to help you make the best choice of material

Some sport some nifty options, 2-tone color schemes, stretchable, etc.

The Noah was a relatively soft cover, both for indoor and outdoor use, but didn't hold up that well to the ravages of the New Mexican Desert, with dusts, often very high winds, even though I had a Metal Carport to protect some. The Weathershield HD is their toughest best outdoor cover. wears like Iron, but it is not as paint friendly as the NOAH, and probably any other cover they manufacture.

Many of their better covers can be laminate materials. These can hold advantage versus single ply materials such as better water resistance, better UV, and dust protection. But yet still breathe so damaging moisture will not become trapped between the cover and your vehicle.

There is the rare occasion here, where Autogeek will hold sales with no exclusions for items like tools, and also car covers. I was lucky in the one instance with the Weathershield HD when I ordered, and saved abut $67 on the purchase price. This cover is also no doubt one of their most, if not the most expensive too. I think we're talking close to a $600 cover if memory serves me correctly.

Such as the lighter covers, simple enough to store in a laundry bag when not in use. I am able to store my Cover in a Laundry Bag if needed.

Car covers won't necessarily scratch your paint if they are cleaned periodically, and are properly installed and removed (And especially with a better mar resistant Ceramic Coating applied). And much less likely to scratch-mar being an indoor cover, and not subjected to winds, and blowing dusts. Many times in NM, my cover because of high winds looked like an Air Balloon with the billowing, even with these custom fit covers. Additional tie downs helped some, but impossible to eliminate.

As an example, I have a friend who owns two best of show Chevys, a black '68 SS396 Chevelle, and a '65 Turquoise El Camino. Both are always covered in storage and in a climate controlled garage, neither are driven either, both are trailed to shows in a single vehicle $16,000 enclosed Car Hauler-Trailer.

Hope this helps you some, and if I can be of further help, I'll keep an eye on your comments.

2. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thicker materials on car covers will offer some degree of "bump protection", but of course there's not a cover in the Covercraft line-up, or anyone else's for that matter that's going to protect against quarter sized hail, a child running a bike hard into the car, things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I had gotten the free Samples from Covercraft when the NOAH Cover was starting to fail. This cover I believe had a 4 year warrantee, but began to tear at stress points due to extreme high winds. I didn't press Covercraft over the warrantee for a few reasons. It began to fail at about the 2, to 2-1/2 year mark.

One, that in time, nothing will survive the conditions I exposed this cover to. Not being able to shield the vehicle from predominant westerly winds subjected the cover to very vicious weather conditions.

Two, adding some additional Cords with RV type Cinch Clamps designed for such a purpose at the Bottom Hem at the front and back did nothing to help and in fact I feel it actually placed more stress that those points than helped. It was at those areas the cover did begin to tear.

The NOAH Cover really isn't a woven cover that I could see, more like a thick soft Paper Towel-Like 3-layer Laminate.

And lastly three. As time passed and the cover seemed to lose its water repellency, I in haste sprayed down the entire cover with Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard. I truly believe this chemical created a bad interaction with the synthetic material, accelerating its decomposition-deterioration.

So, not Covercraft's fault in any instance I felt.

With an indoor cover, there of course would not be the need of a waterproof cover, or resorting to a need of applying a product like a Fabric Guard.

Covers like their Sunbrella, that's a outdoor cover to block high intense UV. The stretchable covers, if a hole-grommet needs to be made for an Antenna Mast, it is not advised by Covercraft.

The Duststop Cover looks nice, good warrantee, but this will be a more expensive cover than say cotton duck, or other lesser models in the line-up.

Like I said, and if serious about a car cover, contact them and get the free swatches sent to you. Then study the various covers and which have their strong points and weaknesses. You'll then be able to select the best cover for your personal needs.

5. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My process with my CQuartz UK car is literally just rinseless wash it. I might powerwash it first if it's very very dirty but other wise, I don't iron X or anything consistently, just once a year. I bucket wash my cars maaaaybe four times a year, max. Winter time, I take it to a coin wash and power wash it before I do a quick waterless or rinseless wash, too much salt here in Canada so after it's cleaned, it's gonna be dirty again when I get to the highway.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I put another 4 hours in today polishing the driver's side of the car. I ended up following up the Perfect Finish with Menzerna 3800. It looks nice! It's going to take me a while to finish this project if I only work on it a few hours on Saturdays. But, I want to make sure I take my time and do it right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234