autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most swirl resistant ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Many members here go to extreme great lengths, not just the pros, but as well the hobbyists, Foam Guns, High Pressure Washers, Two Bucket washes with Grit Guards, the gentlest of towels for wiping and drying, some even use Blowers (Metro Vac) Leaf Blowers, anything to reduce rubbing which will cause sleeks, marring and swirling.
    I'm already infected, lol. I'm just a hobbyits, but already have the grit guards, foam canon, pressure washers, MF towels, blower, etc. Lol. Of course, I have an OCD type personality, so when I do something, I try to do it right.

BTW, I really appreciate the attitude and responses I've gotten here. I have a lot of years on a lot of forums and it's often not this way. Kudos to you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. As several have pointed out, I realize that nothing will make the finish swirl proof. I'm just looking to maximize my efforts. I've owned a lot of black vehicles, but have never had a garage queen that I wanted to keep as perfect as possible.

I'm getting the feeling that most are recommending something besides CSL/EXO. Is that because of price or performance?
    Nothing wrong with CSL/Exo. It is a nice combination and leaves a nice slick finish. CSL is easy to work with where Exo take a little more attentiveness to completely wipe it off. CSL by itself is ok but Exo is the icing on the cake as I have mentioned many times. Better hydriphobic's but also a better self cleaning effect.

Cquartz UK 3.0 gets many recommendations because it is a very good coating. It may not be as slick on its own as the two mentioned up above but it is more durable and has a better self cleaning effect. Add Gliss to it and it is just as slick as the CSL/Exo combo.

I would not bother with Gyeon Syncro or Mohs. They are just a step behind GTechniq and Cquartz.

I mentioned the use of a lite coating for a couple reasons. Number one any coating is going to last a long time on a garage queen so toss durability out the window in my opinion. The other reason is that people love to touch their garage queen. They touch it so much that they induce swirls from all the wiping. It is just normal to do so.

Which is why I recommended Cquartz Lite which is great and it's base chemical make up is Cquartz UK 3.0. Gyeon CanCoat is another good one and would be easier to apply that Cquartz Lite but Cquartz Lite is more durable as I mentioned. It just has the feeling of a real coating. It has a claimed life of 1.5 years but in the garage you can easily double that. Not to mention you get more product for future use. You can coat the wheels with it as well.

I would recommend to try and stay away from using the quick detailer and switch to a waterless wash if you do have to wipe anything down. I don't wipe down my 02 Camaro SS as it is my garage queen. If it gets dusty I will take it out and wash it. Overkill but better to keep it as swirl free as possible.

If it was me I would go with

Cquartz Lite and maintain with Elixir. I would add Essence if you have not already finished polishing.

Also expect a 98-02 F Body to have hard paint as you work on it. Mine does.

3. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I say practice safe techniques touching the paint. Proper wash techniques, quality towels, etc.

Don’t get wrapped up in ceramic hooplas about scratch resistance. Be proactive not reactive.
    Jim

5. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cquartz UK 3.0 gets many recommendations because it is a very good coating. It may not be as slick on its own as the two mentioned up above but it is more durable and has a better self cleaning effect. Add Gliss to it and it is just as slick as the CSL/Exo combo.
    Bingo. That's what I'm looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I say practice safe techniques touching the paint. Proper wash techniques, quality towels, etc.

Don’t get wrapped up in ceramic hooplas about scratch resistance. Be proactive not reactive.
    True,
    Nothing is going to protect against vandalism, severe neglect, or a mishap of say driving in a 40mph windstorm and a tumbleweed, or a cardboard box comes flying across the road and collides with your vehicle. Ask me how I know? LOL

Once living in southern New Mexico (14 years) sure had its fun moments out on the road. (I often referred to it as "The Land of the Tumbling Tumbleweeds" LOL) Those Tumbling Tumbleweeds are akin to a large ball of Barb Wire

Still, and using a multitude of products from here, and also some of my old standbys on a "test mule" vehicle, Wolfgang Sealant, Pinnacle Black Label Spray Coating, other Si20 sprays, Collinite, Menzerna Powerlock, etc etc, none had the mar-swirl resistance of the Carpro Coatings.

Thanking that others such as yourself have chimed in to help our new member here.

And yep, you are 100% correct, this is a fantastic forum, countless great members here, we're all sort of like one big family.

Here ya go, another lovely New Mexico mainstay for a 1-2 punch to your paintjob, those lovely little Dust Devils.

YouTube

8. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True,
    Here ya go, another lovely New Mexico mainstay for a 1-2 punch to your paintjob, those lovely little Dust Devils.

YouTube
    Thats....insane. *shock*

Mike Phillips

BTW, I really appreciate the attitude and responses I've gotten here.

I have a lot of years on a lot of forums and it's often not this way. Kudos to you guys!
    Thank you for the comment about the decorum of this forum.

I've been posting on forums since the software was invented. I'm a member of multiple forums and have owned a few too.

Like you - my experience is a lot of forums simply are not friendly or helpful. In the past when I joined a forum like this I usually shook the dust off my shoes and left.

My goal for this forum when I came here from MOL was to ensure it is always helpful and friendly.

When I first came to this forum in 2009 - it had a few Negative Nancy's cyber-squatting here demeaning just about everyone all the time. It took a while to get rid of them as this forum didn't have any "formal" rules, just a paragraph asking everyone to be nice.

After multiple, multiple problems with a handful of dude, we adopted the forum rules I wrote for MeguiarsOnline.com and this set-up BOUNDARIES for forum member to abide by. It also gave our Moderators the ability to enforce rules now that we had some rules. No rules? No ability to enforce rules.

And the way I have always run a forum is we NEVER ban anyone - a person BANS THEMSELVES by breaking the forum rules. It's all about their actions, not ours.

Anyway, once the bad apples were removed, this place became what it always should have been and is now, helpful and friendly.

Car Wax History

And yep, you are 100% correct, this is a fantastic forum, countless great members here, we're all sort of like one big family.
    I agree Mark.

11. Likes blsnelling liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here ya go, another lovely New Mexico mainstay for a 1-2 punch to your paint job, those lovely little Dust Devils.

YouTube

I've seen this in Apple Valley, California, never that bad but we had a LOT of Tumble Weeds out there and a lot of windy days.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a favorite MF towel you guys recommend for removing the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a favorite MF towel you guys recommend for removing the coating?
    I use the orange CarPro Suede-like Microfiber 16x16 ones. ZERO lint and very effective. I use 1 per panel except on large hoods and roof tops. Soak in a bucket after, launder then dry.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes blsnelling liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast