autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coat after Meguires D166 Ultra Polishing Wax?

Hey ya'll. Does it make sense to apply a ceramic coat after applying the Meguires D166 (applied with cutting pad to remove swirls caused by a CG V32 compound). Also, should I apply a 2nd coat of D166 with a polishing pad? I know its an AOI but these were the instructions i was given andvi just wanted to double check. Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coat after Meguires D166 Ultra Polishing Wax?

A ceramic coating needs to bond to bare paint. D166 is an AIO and leaves wax behind. If you plan to ceramic coat then follow up with a polish and prep wipe. Coatings can bond to primer polishes.

No need to do a second coat as the first coat will be removed. D166 is an abrasive AIO.

3. Thanks Mikem3574 thanked for this post
    Likes Mikem3574, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Im thinking that I made a mistake by wiping off with an IPA spray after polishing with D166. I should have wiped off with clean MF towel after polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post
    Hey ya'll. Does it make sense to apply a ceramic coat after applying the Meguires D166 (applied with cutting pad to remove swirls caused by a CG V32 compound). Also, should I apply a 2nd coat of D166 with a polishing pad? I know its an AOI but these were the instructions i was given andvi just wanted to double check. Thx.
    Who gave instructions, and these were instructions for applying a coating, or just for removing swirls?

You should have used a non-AIO as your finishing polish, then done your IPA if you want to do a coating. It would then be ready for coating. The word “coating” is thrown around a lot. What are you trying to apply?

Post Thanks / Like

I had serious trail rash along both sides of my black f150. I

used a CG V32 compound followed by a V36 polish with white CG pad, initially.

Applied with DA. I ended up bad swirls all over my paint.

Was told to use D166 AOI and cutting pad to remove swirls. Was also advised to do a polish with AOI after cut.

I had already purchased the ceramic coating so i wanted to use it but...anyways...so now lol...i had planned on doing a 2nd polishing coat with the D166 so i have been wiping the D166 off with an IPA after each pass.

Im 95% done with the first coat and planned on cont. with a 2nd coat this morning but now im not really sure what to do lol.

I know. Ima mess lol.

First time with detailing.

Any advise with how to move forward now?

Did i remove all the wax from D166 with the IPA? Should I apply a coat of wax or sealent or do I need to de-grease and wash before?

Ugh....

Mike Phillips

I had serious trail rash along both sides of my black f150. I

used a CG V32 compound followed by a V36 polish with white CG pad, initially.

Applied with DA. I ended up bad swirls all over my paint.
    You ended up with MICRO-MARRING all over your truck - not swirls and not holograms. Words mean things.

Was told to use D166 AOI and cutting pad to remove swirls. Was also advised to do a polish with AOI after cut.

Well whoever gave you the advice to use an AIO to remove the micro-marring the CG products left behind was correct, a quality AIO that uses GREAT abrasive technology will undo the micro-marring.

BUT - you cannot apply a ceramic paint coating if you're using an AIO because the WAX or SEALANT in the AIO will prevent the coating from making a proper bond.

Did the same person that told you to use the AIO tell you it was okay to apply a coating over the AIO?

I had already purchased the ceramic coating so i wanted to use it but...anyways...so now lol...i had planned on doing a 2nd polishing coat with the D166 so i have been wiping the D166 off with an IPA after each pass.

Im 95% done with the first coat and planned on cont. with a 2nd coat this morning but now im not really sure what to do lol.

I know. Ima mess lol.

First time with detailing.

Any advise with how to move forward now?

Did i remove all the wax from D166 with the IPA? Should I apply a coat of wax or sealent or do I need to de-grease and wash before?

Ugh....

You can never truly know if IPA or any solvent completely removes some company's wax or sealant. This is why - if you want to install a coating you have already RULED OUT using any type of product with a wax or sealant in it.

You must stick with pro grade compounds and polishes and then chemically strip the paint after using these types of products.

I tried really hard to help you in this thread you started,

Tuxedo Black F150 - Need help removing micro-marring

I typed out accurate info in all my replies to your questions. In post #9 you wrote,

Thanks Mike.

What polish and pad combo would you recommend to correct this?

The light micro scratches appear to be in straight line form and large swirls. Very light but visible in direct sunlight. Do I need to go all the way back to the compound stage and start the 2/3 step process over?

Or would a micro abrasive cutting polish suffice.

Thank you.

Your question was in the context of removing the deeper scratches plus the micro-marring. I also knew you wanted to sue a coating. So I DIDN'T recommend an AIO - I recommended dedicated compounds and polishes which you could then chemically strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The only way to know for sure is to do some testing. You can pick up Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish just about anywhere and they use great abrasive technology.

Sounds like you got bad advice from someone else about using the Meguiar's AIO - OR - they did not know you were planning on installing a ceramic paint coating - OR - they don't know you cannot apply a ceramic paint coating over a cleaner/wax i.e. an AIO

At this point - if you want to install the coating you need to at a minimum - re-polish the car with CLEAN UNCONTAMINATED buffing pads and a dedicated polish in order to remove the AIO.

Hope that helps....

Post Thanks / Like

The guy who reccomended the AIO didnt know I planned on using the ceramic. I had been told prior (incorrectly apparently lol)that ceramic could be used over wax so i didnt bother mentioning it to him. AMoving forward....would it be ok to apply a coat of wax over the AIO that i wiped clean with IPA? Or not necessary? I appreciate your help Mike.

Mike Phillips

The guy who reccomended the AIO didnt know I planned on using the ceramic. I had been told prior (incorrectly apparently lol)that ceramic could be used over wax so i didnt bother mentioning it to him.
    Copy that. I always write in terms of giving people the benefit-of-the-doubt - never judging.

AMoving forward....would it be ok to apply a coat of wax over the AIO that i wiped clean with IPA?

Or not necessary? I appreciate your help Mike.
    You can apply what is called a,

Topper

A topper being a non-cleaning wax or sealant over an AIO. Also - you don't need to use IPA to strip an AIO before applying a topper. Just go right to it.

See my article here,

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

Sheldon explaining Quantum Physics to Penny on the Big Bang Theory

Post Thanks / Like

Update....so after 30 hrs of investigation lol, a decent chunk of change, and a good learning experience, i finally got the truck looking up to par. After swapping out CG products to meguiars (brown and yellow thin foam and D166 i found that I was still getting swirls and holograms. After an initial coat of d166 with brown cut pad (and stupidly wiping it off with an IPA i decided to go at it with another coat od d166 but with yellow pad and slowing my speed down from 6 to 4 and increasing up my arm speed significantly, the swirls and trails are adios. I still have some minor scratches barely noticeable but im willing to live with them. I think a rotary might be needed (oprated bh a pro lol) to get em. Appreciate very much the advice from Mike and everyone. Kick ass to have yhis site available. I will absolutely make sure that any online products i buy go through this site. Takes a village. Thc. (Ima try to post some picschere)

11. Likes amalik liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some after pics.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast