autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me set realistic expectations for myself

I could use some perspective from an experienced group. I'm about to start polishing for the first time.

First handful will be daily's. Mine and my wife's (2014 Mazda 6 and 2011 Hyundai Tucson reapectively) then most likely my parents (2011 Cadillac CTS performance and 2014 F150 Limited)

I currently have an 8mm throw polisher, a handful of LC Orange and White Foam pads, and a big ol' bottle of BlackFire One Step.

I'm optimistic that will take care of the Mazda and Tucson well given softer paint. But what about the American rides? Particularly the Cadi. Its black and has been subject to YEARS of tunnel washes, needles to say, it's trashed.

I'm not expecting perfection, but are the American vehicles too much for my setup? Or what kind of correction can I expect?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me set realistic expectations for myself

What 8mm polisher? Do you have the 6" or 5" set up (Backing plate and pads)?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    What 8mm polisher? Do you have the 6" or 5" set up (Backing plate and pads)?
    MaxShine M8S and 5" plate and pads

Post Thanks / Like

Good start with good products.

Try a test spot with your white pads, and if you don't see exactly what you want, switch up to the orange.

Biggest thing to remember is this: It is not rocket science. Machine polishing is not only easy to do with the right techniques (Read Mike P's articles), but also an enjoyable task.

The Caddy sounds like a nightmare, but you might be surprised at what you can do to improve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly you have a great polisher, the right pad selection and size and a fantastic product in the Blackfire One Step. I would just suggest you get some quality Microfiber towels so you don’t ruin your hard work by instilling scratches back into the paint.

That being said, if you watch Mike Phillips videos on how to polish with a similar polisher(he has videos demonstrating the Porter Cable 7424 somewhere), I think you will surprise yourself as to how good it will come out.

If you do a vehicle or two and feel you need more correction on the Caddy after you try One Step, you can pick up Blackfire compound then follow it up with the One Step.

Don’t overthink it. Take you time and have some fun polishing.... then njoy the rewards!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Good start with good products.

Try a test spot with your white pads, and if you don't see exactly what you want, switch up to the orange.

Biggest thing to remember is this: It is not rocket science. Machine polishing is not only easy to do with the right techniques (Read Mike P's articles), but also an enjoyable task.

The Caddy sounds like a nightmare, but you might be surprised at what you can do to improve it.
    The CTS most definitely is. Black, driven about 600 miles a week (160k on the clock I think), tunnel washes only, and kept outside. Mechanically, it's in great shape. The tunnel washes were never meant to be torture, quite the opposite. My dad loves that car and wanted one since they unveiled the 2and generation.

He's well deserving as he has done a lot for me and my family, and he's a huge car guy. So now I want to do something to just say a little thank you. I'm making sure to practice on my own vehicles first.

Any articles specifically I should check out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cgdalton View Post
    The CTS most definitely is. Black, driven about 600 miles a week (160k on the clock I think), tunnel washes only, and kept outside. Mechanically, it's in great shape. The tunnel washes were never meant to be torture, quite the opposite. My dad loves that car and wanted one since they unveiled the 2and generation.

He's well deserving as he has done a lot for me and my family, and he's a huge car guy. So now I want to do something to just say a little thank you. I'm making sure to practice on my own vehicles first.

Any articles specifically I should check out?

Click on "Detailing How To's" on the top of the page, and each category will lead to a Mike P video

Post Thanks / Like

You might be surprised how the CTS turns out. If the swirls haven’t gone through the clear coat, a lot of them should go away.

Post Thanks / Like

The front end is peppered with rock chips from years of intense highway commuting. Pretty much the A-pillar forward would need a repaint. It's too far gone for polishing. But, everything behind the A-pillar is in decent shape. I've just heard that Cadillac paint is pretty hard so I didnt know if my combination would be aggressive enough to see much improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

BF One Step and a Microfiber is a combination I have used and worked fine. But do try the orange pads first, and switch them often, as Mike Phillips teaches, clean pads cut better.