autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: McKee's 360

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 360

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Do the hood, that way you have a proper sized test panel to show the water behavior. And due to the longevity of Cancoat I think a paint prep polish should take place, along with a quik water test afterwards to make sure the paint is bare.
    The hood is taken for other testing. This is what I have to work with. I’ll prep and check bareness but you can disqualify from your desires for being too small a panel if you want. I’m still doing it.

And if an orange pad with 360 did not fully remove 5 month Cancoat then 360 abrasives should be ashamed of itself. But I know these are good abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: I never posted this, but remember the other day when someone told you that a panel wipe was more effective at creating a bare panel than a paint prep polish? Well I agreed with you... And I actually did the testing.

However I applied the Prep Polish with a Finishing pad on speed 3 and the sealant survived both of them! Hence why I never posted the results. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 360

FYI: I never posted this, but remember the other day when someone told you that a panel wipe was more effective at creating a bare panel than a paint prep polish? Well I agreed with you... And I actually did the testing.

However I applied the Prep Polish with a Finishing pad on speed 3 and the sealant survived both of them! Hence why I never posted the results. Lol

Yeah, I just tried Mckees Prep Polish by hand and maybe(?) Cancoat had been removed but 360 didn’t look totally removed (worse sheeting than Cancoat but still sealant-style sheeting).

Anyways, I brought in the heavy hitter with orange pad to make sure it’s clear now.
    McKee's 360-img_2912-jpg
    Did prep polish again, now I pray it’s bare (finger test, and all minor swirling is gone, just a very slight polishing haze that 360 on white would remove). But I can’t get water to lie flat on this angle. And generally, freshly polished paint beads when freshly polished (your opinion on that?). There’s no way LSP is still present if light swirls are gone. So I can’t technically prove Cancoat/first 360 is gone without letting this sit for awhile. I can let it sit or move on with my ‘possibly-unapproved-by-Eldo’ half panel test with 360 to get the ball rolling.

Haven’t decided yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Yeah, I just tried Mckees Prep Polish by hand and maybe(?) Cancoat had been removed but 360 didn’t look totally removed (worse sheeting than Cancoat but still sealant-style sheeting).

Anyways, I brought in the heavy hitter with orange pad to make sure it’s clear now.
    McKee's 360-img_2912-jpg
    Did prep polish again, now I pray it’s bare (finger test, and all minor swirling is gone, just a very slight polishing haze that 360 on white would remove). But I can’t get water to lie flat on this angle. And generally, freshly polished paint beads when freshly polished (your opinion on that?). There’s no way LSP is still present if light swirls are gone. So I can’t technically prove Cancoat/first 360 is gone without letting this sit for awhile. I can let it sit or move on with my ‘possibly-unapproved-by-Eldo’ half panel test with 360 to get the ball rolling.

Haven’t decided yet.
    Do what you gotta do. I just hope the panel is big enough to show the results.

And yes I agree that just polished paint will usually bead water.

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 360

Do what you gotta do. I just hope the panel is big enough to show the results.

And yes I agree that just polished paint will usually bead water.
    I’m a sucker and might even do back of the hood tonight to have a bigger area for results. I proceeded with 360 with white pad on the front drivers side.

McKee's 360-img_2913-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Say it ain’t so, Eldo. I’m doing my own test later today. Maybe it’s regional.
    My thoughts exactly! I’ve seen Eldo’s previous posts about AIO’s failing and figured this would be over quickly. I’ve also seen people report great durability from a few certain AIO’s. I know Chicago and I’m sure Pittsburgh have some tough winters that kill and clog LSPs with all the chemicals and brine collecting on the cars for weeks and months at a time. On the flip side I’m sure constant high temps and sun’s UV rays must have a pretty extreme effect as well. Then we have to account for industrial fallout and this truly becomes a regional test, where some LSPs, in this case AIOs, will go only a few weeks or an easy 3 months.

I’d love to see many more tests.. The only requirements are that the AIO be used as a stand-alone, meaning no toppers, no drying aids, no wax & wax soaps, no wipedowns in between bucket washes and the 1st wash should come no sooner than 2 weeks like mine did.

No beading from spray bottles, show us the hose nozzle. No garage queens.McKee's 360
    I’d love to do a test like this and if I can(moving in about 6 weeks) I will. I’ve got quite a few AIOs I could test, I’ll see what I can do!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I'll join in. This is a great thread. 360 was applied almost a month ago production buff style. The vehicle has never been coated, just various sealants so I'm not too worried about 360's abrasives removing them.

I'll probably see the vehicle again in a week or two and I'll try to remember to snap some pics. Nothing has been done since that detail.

8. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Water beading is definitely a good indicator... However I’ve come to notice that some products lately have really jumped on that bandwagon and have somehow raised the volume in terms of beading while failing to provide any form of real protection in other areas, mainly from bonded contaminants. That’s the main reason I’m not a fan of coatings.
    What good is water beading if your paint isn’t completely smooth while you’re wiping your car down?

I haven’t tested any of those new TW products, but yea generally speaking good water beading should be a good indicator, but don’t believe its really protecting unless it can also pass a baggie test throughout.
    Boy do I agree with you here. I think water beading is a good indicator that "something" is left on your paint but what's the point if bugs, birds, and water spots still etch the paint? I expect much more from my LSP's than water beading alone.

10. Likes Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

15 day update: As predicted the vehicle bearly moved in the entire 15 days. It might’ve been to the store once and that’s it. No rain. Just parked outside. It was a bit dirty with bird bombs and a layer of dust.

Here’s the 1st water to hit it in 15 days since application.

[...]

Thx for reading.

This is savage! Where's the 6 months I swear I read somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like

interesting... i've used 360 twice. Once on a blue chevy truck and also on a silver ford explorer. It didn't have the pop and shine of hdspeed but longevity was better. at least 3 months and these were dd's. Did it compare to a powerlock or dedicated sealant? of course not, but that wasn't what I was after.

Maybe a good example of YRMV...
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast