autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?

My parents need a new hood for their 2003 Chevrolet S-10, so they snagged one out of a junkyard for relatively cheap. They initially told me that it needs to be repainted because the hood is lighter than the truck, turns out that it's the same color, the hood just needs some major paint love.

The paint is almost matte from how neglected it is, not to mention the pock marks of tree sap (black splotches in photos) that had sat on it forever. They're already on the train of thought of getting it resprayed, but I figured I'd take a crack at cleaning it up first to see if it can be salvaged. (picture doesn't do it justice right now since it's wet from rain, but even wet you can see it lacks reflection and depth). Apparently they gave it a wash with some dawn soap () and it didn't do much in the way of removing the matte-ness or bringing back any shine, just cleaned up the dirt that was on it.

LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?-hood-jpg

On hand I have my Griot's G9 DA, M105, Ultimate Compound, Meg's #21, and M205. I also have a smattering of LC pads, but no yellow pads or MF pads.

My question is should I order some LC yellow pads or just jump straight to a MF cutting pad for attempting this?

Edit: Also, should I tape over the wiper nozzle openings? Do I need to worry about the foam pad catching on that and ripping it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?

What kind of polisher do you have?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What kind of polisher do you have?
    Griot's G9 DA.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d say jump straight to the LC Microfiber pads using your M105. But 1st make sure to thoroughly claybar the paint 1st until it’s completely smooth and clean.

I transformed my hood using LC Microfiber pads using Megs D300 & Megs M205 w/Griots Boss G21 polisher.

Before:

After:

5. Thanks ebrammer252 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Would I need more than a single MF Cutting pad to do the whole hood?

Post Thanks / Like

LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?

Quote Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
    Thanks! Would I need more than a single MF Cutting pad to do the whole hood?
    My hood in those pics is on a Cadillac Deville, so basically that’s an extra large hood and in that condition it required 2 microfiber pads for the cutting stage.

Could you possibly do it with just 1? Yea.
    Worst case scenario you’d have to stop and wash the pad, allow it to dry and use it again... Certainly not impossible if you don’t want to spend extra money.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’d say jump straight to the LC Microfiber pads using your M105. But 1st make sure to thoroughly claybar the paint 1st until it’s completely smooth and clean.

I transformed my hood using LC Microfiber pads using Megs D300 & Megs M205 w/Griots Boss G21 polisher.

Before:

After:

Great job! can't wait to get home and start polishing! What is the year and mileage on your car?

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Great job! can't wait to get home and start polishing! What is the year and mileage on your car?
    Thanks! The car in those pics was my 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS with 128,000 miles.

Unfortunately that car was totaled in a car accident last year...

I replaced it with a 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS. This 1 currently has 133,000 miles on it. I purchased it from the original owner about 7 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first did our 2004 Corvette w some etched waterspots, Megs D300 w their microfiber cutting discs outdid (quicker and more effective) M101 w LC Yellow flat pad using Griots 6" DA.

Never used LC yellow foam again, microfiber always does better for me. Dunno about using 105 with it though, have only used 105 for about 2 minutes before I chucked the (new) bottle right in the garbage. What a PITA. Many folks can work magic with that stuff...I ain't one of them. LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    When I first did our 2004 Corvette w some etched waterspots, Megs D300 w their microfiber cutting discs outdid (quicker and more effective) M101 w LC Yellow flat pad using Griots 6" DA.

Never used LC yellow foam again, microfiber always does better for me. Dunno about using 105 with it though, have only used 105 for about 2 minutes before I chucked the (new) bottle right in the garbage. What a PITA. Many folks can work magic with that stuff...I ain't one of them. LC Yellow pads or LC MF Cutting pads?
    I just went with sonax cutmax and perfect finish . hopefully all I need for a compounds.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast