autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: PC vs Flex

Post Thanks / Like

PC vs Flex

All,

I started detailing with a PC years ago and moved up to a rotary tool. I love the power of the rotary but find myself using the PC more just due to ease of use and the fact that it's hard to do damage. Do you guys think it's worth checking out the flex? Will I get much better results?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC vs Flex

Huge difference in the tools, power and less fatigue with the Flex. You already know the results you can get with the dual action orbital machine. So pick whatever tool fits within your budget and needs. I am assuming you are referring to the free spinning orbitals and not the forced rotation Beast by Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

My very first tool ever was an ancient heavy Milwaukee rotary. My second was a PC. The PC is great for most applications. My very next purchase was a Flex 3401. It made every job quicker and finished very well every time. I guess at this point we need to know which Flex you are looking at, and what rotary you have

Post Thanks / Like

Flex has more than a dozen models. Which one are you considering?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the replies already guys. I was thinking about the Flex 3401. I have Metabo rotary from around 10 years back. I used that thing all the time and got some great results. It's definitely easier to correct defects with the rotary than the PC. I did also mess a couple of small things up and since my cars tend to be pretty new, I've stuck with the PC and focused on gloss rather than full corrections. My typical polish combination is M105/205. I've been able to use the PC with either wool or foam pads and get great results. That being said, I can't help but think that should my cars acquire some swirls or defects, the Flex would probably help me maintain the safety and correct many of those scratches with the same products and routine. Thoughts?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post

Thoughts?

I do about 90% of my detail work with the BEAST. It's a, well.... a BEAST!

It's not for everyone, but if you invest some time behind the tool you can make it dance on paint.

The times I don't use the BEAST is when

Removing sanding marks - Rotary Buffer

Real serious or deep defects - Rotary Buffer

Tight areas or thin panels - deep defects - RUPES Nano Long Neck in Rotary Mode

Soft paints - any free spinning random orbital - usually I choose the tool by the panel size and match the tool/pad to the panel. By this I mean, if I'm working on a thin panel I'll use the FLEX PiXiE. If I'm working on a large flat panel I'll grab the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark III. If it's somewhere in the middle I'll grab the Griot's G9

7. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I own both machines. The Flex will cut your buffing time in half, at least. I now use my PC with 3" pads for tighter areas, great 1-2 combination.