autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick help with Uber Ceramic please!

Hello. Ive used Uber Ceramic(Syringe) before, unfortunately it's been over 2 years. As embarrassing as it is, I have to admit that I have forgotten the process. Today I washed my car, then used Uber Compound. Now here's where my memory gets foggy. Do I need to use a polish next such as TSR or WG Finish Glaze? Or do I just move on to the Perfekt Finish Paint Prep spray, and then the Syringe of the Coating? So..

Option 1:
    Use TSR or Finish Glaze
    Then Paint Prep Pray
    Then Coating

or

Option 2:
    Paint Prep Spray
    Then Coating

Already used Uber Compound today and plan to finish the car tomorrow(Tuesday). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick help with Uber Ceramic please!

Depends on how the paint finished out with Uber. If you have any signs of marring or DA haze then for sure polish away, prep wipe and coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Depends on how the paint finished out with Uber. If you have any signs of marring or DA haze then for sure polish away, prep wipe and coat.
    Thanks! There was a lot of dusting from the compound, but it did look very good and I couldnt see any marring or haze when the sun would shine on it. Reflections looked pretty clear as well. I do have slight orange peel but the reflections look pretty sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

What pad was used for the Compound, and was it soft or hard paint?

You can certainly get away with only polishing with WG Compound using a somewhat less aggressive pad (like not a heavy cutting pad) on hard paint. But you might want to do a test spot with Finishing Glaze just yo see if it brings out more gloss to make the extra effort worth it.

With that said, if you just want the job to be done and you’re happy with current looks, do your thing. I generally do a finishing polish after heavy compound for whatever it’s worth. It doesn’t take long since just a few passes should remove any haze or marring on most paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot with the finishing polish and see how it looks next to a section that is only compounded.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post

Do I need to use a polish next such as TSR or WG Finish Glaze? Or do I just move on to the Perfekt Finish Paint Prep spray, and then the Syringe of the Coating? So..

What or how you follow-up depends on the results from the Uber Compound. The Uber Compound actually finishes down really nice and on harder paints you can use it as a compound/polish.

On softer paints you'll want to re-polish with a less aggressive product and pad. The follow-up to a product that uses great abrasive technology is fast as you only need to make about 5-6 section passes. These can be using a faster arm speed and less downward pressure as all you're really trying to do is remove any pad haze or marring from the more aggressive first step.

Color of paint and your expectations for the level of quality are also factors.

One thing you can do is chemically strip a section of paint and insect the results with bright overhead sunlight or a good swirl finder light.

Mike Phillips

More...

For anyone reading this into the future, I have a very in-depth how-to article with lots of pictures here where I installed the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating to an old 2-door Mercury that was on fire.

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating