autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda lost...

Hey all, new here and new to the world of detailing. I've always just washed, dried and quick waxed my truck... I didnt really know any better due to not knowing anybody that did detailing. Which might explain the reason my Tacomas in the shape it is now... well that and all the laurel thickets around here.... My trucks a 06 Toyota Tacoma 4 door in Speed Way Blue (8p1).... Shes scratched and skint and a little bruised......

I have a few questions about paint restoration. At what point does a scratch become so sever that buffing and polishing wont do anygood? If there is alot scratches in a small area does that make it more difficult to repair? What would be the correct repair process for say a paint chip thats down to bare metal??

Im just trying to find some general direction of where to start, how to do it right, and how to end up with the best possible results i can.
    Thank you for your time and knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm kinda lost...

Quick rule of thumb is that if you feel the scratch with your finger nail it is too deep to remove. As far as chips to bare metal alot of members have used

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair with success. Good luck
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Mike Phillips

Here's my normal protocol,

First - Is this a show car? Or a daily driver?

For decades now, I see people getting into detailing and actually "been into detailing" that use the wrong perspective. They try to create a show car finish on a car that's a daily driver and it IS going to see more an wear-n-tear the next day after you detail it. So keep things in perspective as far as how much paint correction to do.

Second - It's all about the Test Spot.

Have you read or do you know what a Test Spot is, how to do one and WHY to do one?

Mike Phillips