autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Durability??? Collinite Vs Sealant

So what do you think - if looking for price effective durablility for my daily driver which is an 2005 NISSAN that I want the most protection possible from scratching/chipping/road contaminants/rain/ect.... would you go with COLLINITE or a SEALANT?

I have never used collinite, almost EVERYONE tells me how great it is, how under-rated it is, and how DURABLE it is. For you seasoned junkies - would you say that collinite would hold up more than a paint sealant, and if so how much more or less? I was going to use either Klasse KG sealant or most likely the new NXT 2.0 for cost purposes. The reason I ask this question is that I know collinite is a carnuba and from what I understand is that a good paint sealant are better for durability/protection. So why so many suggestions and comments on colllinite?

I am eager to see what you think!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability??? Collinite Vs Sealant

Why not both?
    Dave

"Dave's not here man"

07 Lexus RX350 Sports Luxury.
    1977 Porsche 924 (Project Car)

Previous:

2003 Lexus RX330
    1999 Lexus IS200 (Gone but not forgotten)
    1991 Audi 90 Sports

Post Thanks / Like

You could do both, or just two layers of Collinite of whatever version you get (I have 915 and 845). I'll put either Collinite up against Zaino or DG 105 (which IMO are the most durable, though Zaino is multi step) any day of the week. You get the looks of a good carnauba, and durability of top sealants. DG 105 and Collinite 915 is bullet proof and great looking combo.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Well a sealant and wax will not protect much from chipping and scratches...but it will from the rest of the worries you had listed....

now the best of both worlds is to do a sealant to seal the paint as it bonds to a molecular level on paint..then top it with a collinite wax...I like 915 and 885 as a wax....the 845 is good..but the paste is a little more durable...

the sealant will protect the paint..and the wax will be your sacrificial barrier..let the wax take a beating while the sealant is protecting..plus a good durable sealant will provide better UV protection then a wax...

collinite pastes go all winter for me here and still ticking when I do a spring clean up..its very durable...

AL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, the DG105 and collinite 845 both sound very good after reading up on them. But why would I do both of these, they are both paint sealants? I apologize, it may be a stupid question. And if you would recommend both, do I still need a pre-wax cleaner before using the DG105 then the 845 for topcoat?

Post Thanks / Like

collinite is a wax. dg 105 is a sealant.
    Never lie if your memory stinks...

Post Thanks / Like

I've currently have Collinite 476S on my truck since November. It's seen snow, rain, and multiple car washes at my local carwash self-serve bays
    Hardly any QD used at all
    I still see some beading on the hood; they're a bit larger now, but is even across the hood
    I think I still easily have at least another month of protection
    I plan on putting another coat in a few weeks to see how it will hold up thru the Summmer
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 03-24-2008 at 12:13 AM.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

I used two layers of Collinite #476 topped on a freshly polished car via Menzerna PO106FF this past winter. (07 Nissan) Applied #476 2x's first week of November. The car went through about 3 touchless car washes (heavy detergent usage in those), MULTIPLE snow/ice storms (very rough winter), and about 3-5 personal car washes. I finally topped the car off with some DG AW about 3 weeks ago after a wash to give it a little extra protection until I could full re-detail it for spring. The car had salt on the it for weeks at a time at some points.

3 days ago I finally gave it a good detail and stripped everything off so I could apply Souveran.

Overall I would rate my winter protection 9/10. I was very very happy.

Only thing I'm doing different next year is applying WG deep gloss sealant before 2x layers of #476.

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss #601 followed by 2 coats of #105 (12 hours apart), topped with 2 coats of Collinite 476S will give you a very durable protection!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Durability??? Collinite Vs Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Duragloss #601 followed by 2 coats of #105 (12 hours apart), topped with 2 coats of Collinite 476S will give you a very durable protection!
    Just curious, #105 is a cleaner-polish-sealant.

Won't the 2nd coat 'clean' the first coat away?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast