autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are my wheels damaged or anyone knows what these marks are in the barrel?

I was doing my out of storage cleaning on my wheels before bringing them to tire shop and noticed one has all this kind of wear or lines in it? This is how it looks like fully cleaned. It seems like it's stained and something rubbed around or what? Talking about all the "dotting" rather than the scuffs and marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are my wheels damaged or anyone knows what these marks are in the barrel?

The inside of the barrels usually do not receive as much paint/clear as the faces. That looks to be the case on the inside. Do you have an ePTG to take readings?

If its not that, it may be staining of some sort. Perhaps the barrel on this wheel was not completely dry when you stored it. Maybe try polishing it with a polish and polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^I will agree. Looks like staining to me as well...brake cleaner/heavy solvent of some type maybe. And, yes, try to polish them and see what results you get.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Could also be oxidation of the aluminum beneath the coating. If that's the case what you are seeing is actually a series of minor blisters in the coating caused by the oxidation underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    The inside of the barrels usually do not receive as much paint/clear as the faces. That looks to be the case on the inside. Do you have an ePTG to take readings?

If its not that, it may be staining of some sort. Perhaps the barrel on this wheel was not completely dry when you stored it. Maybe try polishing it with a polish and polishing pad.
    Nah no ePTG.

Should I still polish if it's a matte/satin wheels? There is no clear coat on these I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Could also be oxidation of the aluminum beneath the coating. If that's the case what you are seeing is actually a series of minor blisters in the coating caused by the oxidation underneath.
    Oh ok, and that would've just happened like that or caused by something? I'm just surprised all my wheels appear fine except this one. I'll have to double check them and see if same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    ^^^I will agree. Looks like staining to me as well...brake cleaner/heavy solvent of some type maybe. And, yes, try to polish them and see what results you get.
    I've only ever used Griot's wheel cleaner and PS Brake buster diluted really I can recall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Oh ok, and that would've just happened like that or caused by something? I'm just surprised all my wheels appear fine except this one. I'll have to double check them and see if same.
    Was this wheel dirtier than the others when they were put into storage? That could be an explanation.

Any contamination on the wheels when they were stored could act as a corrosive and as an accelerant to corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Was this wheel dirtier than the others when they were put into storage? That could be an explanation.

Any contamination on the wheels when they were stored could act as a corrosive and as an accelerant to corrosion.
    IIRC I didn' really clean them this year before storage. I guess that was a mistake! Thankfully the faces of all my wheels look perfect. I didn't know brake dust could've done something like this, like I could've expect it to be stuck on but not baked in or staining since no heat was cycled through while stored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Nah no ePTG.

Should I still polish if it's a matte/satin wheels? There is no clear coat on these I think.
    If you do they will no longer be a matte finish. Are you planning to ceramic coat them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast