autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)

Just my 2 cents on this issue...

I dont think the coating is the issue.

A little while back I saw a vid from Kevin Brown and Larry from Ammo discussing how excessive heat can cause damage on a paint system. It goes something like this... the paint system consist of 3 layers (primer, base coat, and clear). Each layer bonds to the previous layer in the order I stated. When heat is introduced to a paint system, all layers has a tendency to expand vertically and horizontally. When heat is introduce to the system too quickly then follow by quick cooling (like a novice using a rotary in a body shop), the movement from the polisher could cause the bonds between the layers to detach and when it cools down.. it might not align back up to the original position. Kevin described as buffer trails/swirls that keeps coming back over time. The damage might not be noticeable right away but it most likely will over time.

I am not an expert on paint but what kevin was describing seems to be very similar to your current issue. I hope I am wrong on this and you get to resolve this in an economical way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Mine was painted already also. But it was painted when I ordered it, so it needed to cure before I could do anything.
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the information. Is your bumper OEM? My only concern is if I buy a painted bumper, since my car is almost 10 years old won't the paint on it have faded, and the new bumper won't actually match the color of the bumper with new, non-10 year old paint on it? Is that really a concern with paint these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    looks like you fell for mass disinformation called internet!
    ...and not everything is as "advertised"

opti does not have anything to do with your swirls! period!
    you , do have to do with the swirls , most likely your wash mitt or your hand pressure, and i see that all the time..people have same wash mitt or they have a heavy heand and not realize the pressure.
    nope , your coating does not suppose to prevent your swirls , here is an operator issue.
    something in your techniques or prep was not good , blaming the coating does not fix your issue.

Coating is just an extra tool in your maintenance tool box, helps to clean your car easier , makes the paint look good , and last couple years compared with regular wax or seal , so... you have the wrong info about what a coat does and does not....

nothing personal , but you asked for thoughts , that`s mine!
    It's fine if people want to say that, but the rest of my car does not get swirls being washed in exactly the same manner (can't you see in the picture above the swirled bumper the quarter panel looks fine?). My wash technique may not be perfect, but there is an inherently different problem altogether with this particular bumper vs. the rest of my car and I can't emphasize this enough.

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Just my 2 cents on this issue...

I dont think the coating is the issue.

A little while back I saw a vid from Kevin Brown and Larry from Ammo discussing how excessive heat can cause damage on a paint system. It goes something like this... the paint system consist of 3 layers (primer, base coat, and clear). Each layer bonds to the previous layer in the order I stated. When heat is introduced to a paint system, all layers has a tendency to expand vertically and horizontally. When heat is introduce to the system too quickly then follow by quick cooling (like a novice using a rotary in a body shop), the movement from the polisher could cause the bonds between the layers to detach and when it cools down.. it might not align back up to the original position. Kevin described as buffer trails/swirls that keeps coming back over time. The damage might not be noticeable right away but it most likely will over time.

I am not an expert on paint but what kevin was describing seems to be very similar to your current issue. I hope I am wrong on this and you get to resolve this in an economical way.
    This sounds very much like what I am likely experiencing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpers especially if plastic are usually always a slightly different color in certain lights. In most cases even brand new cars. The flex agent they put into paint for bumpers changes it slightly. Honestly i wouldnt worry it being a big difference. Only other thing u could do is buy primed bumper and have body shop blend it in to other panels when they paint it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Kiteman,

My bumper was NOT OEM. But it matched as perfectly as I could ever discern.

I work in the color industry full time. My company makes liquid pigment dispersions and actual paint, including automotive paint. That doesn't make me an expert, but I do know more than the average person might. Today's color matching technology is unbelievable. My car was 13 years old when I needed to replace the bumper (2007 and I was rear ended in 2019), and the match was as spot on as I could have hoped. I was VERY satisfied.

Again, I repeat, good luck to you.

5. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    Kiteman,

My bumper was NOT OEM. But it matched as perfectly as I could ever discern.

I work in the color industry full time. My company makes liquid pigment dispersions and actual paint, including automotive paint. That doesn't make me an expert, but I do know more than the average person might. Today's color matching technology is unbelievable. My car was 13 years old when I needed to replace the bumper (2007 and I was rear ended in 2019), and the match was as spot on as I could have hoped. I was VERY satisfied.

Again, I repeat, good luck to you.
    Thanks for all of the responses. I think I found the Michigan seller on eBay you may have used, I spoke to him and he relieved me of the concerns I had. Looks like my bumper shipped will run under $500 (although in this time the link I provided you of the OEM bumper has reduced to $800). Not sure the additional $300 is worth the OEM bumper or not...I don't know if I mentioned it but the current bumper I have is not OEM and it does not fit right. Not sure if they manufacturer of this bumper is just poor quality or if I should expect all non-OEM bumpers to have a poor fit. Regardless, something I need to consider.

FYI to the other folks who mentioned the Opti Seal doesn't keep swirls away--what the heck is the point of it at all then?? Is it just a more permanent sealant so you aren't applying regular sealant a couple of times a year?

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't answer your Opti Seal question, but I do have one suggestion, although you might have experienced this already. I found it much easier to buy new parking sensors than to try to re-use my old ones. I'm going from memory, but I think it was about $60.00 to buy the four sensors I needed, and it was money well spent. I know at least one did not work, but I couldn't find a way to tell which one. In addition, the way they mount made installing new ones easier than reusing the old ones.

Post Thanks / Like

You want to learn more about coatings then watch these videos.

Also are you using Gloss Coat or Opti-Seal? Gloss Coat is a coating and Opti-Seal is a sealant.

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You want to learn more about coatings then watch these videos.

Also are you using Gloss Coat or Opti-Seal? Gloss Coat is a coating and Opti-Seal is a sealant.

gloss coat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdjas View Post
    Bumpers especially if plastic are usually always a slightly different color in certain lights. In most cases even brand new cars. The flex agent they put into paint for bumpers changes it slightly. Honestly i wouldnt worry it being a big difference. Only other thing u could do is buy primed bumper and have body shop blend it in to other panels when they paint it.

Most of the plastic bumper parts are not even painted in the same factory or at the same time as the main body of the car. They get bolted on pre-painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Most of the plastic bumper parts are not even painted in the same factory or at the same time as the main body of the car. They get bolted on pre-painted.
    Didnt know that. Good to learn something new. I know any vehicle ive had the bumpers have all been ever so slightly different shades then the body. Granted most of those have been red which i feel is even more noticeable

13. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast