autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)

I have a 2012 Camaro in a metallic black coat. A few years ago someone backed into me and I have my rear bumper replaced/painted. Little did I know the body shop did a very bad job. The first couple of years, oddly, there were no noticeable issues. But about 2 years ago I started noticing heavy swirls on all the areas they repainted/replaced. After a while I polished and reset, only to find after just one single personal wash (which I've been doing forever with never any swirling to note), the bumper looked hideous immediately! All I can think is they used some very cheap clear coat that just broke down molecularly over time, and now it is so brittle that even the lightest nudge and it's a swirl fest.

Time passed though and eventually I decided to polish it again and put on Opti. Followed the instructions exactly. I would say I am above average detailer as I've done this stuff for over 10 years, so I feel confident I did not screw up the application. Fast forward to a week later and I washed my car for the first time. Optimum No Rinse, with the preferred mitt, followed by some Autogeek recommended MF towels. Backed my car into the sun right after and swirl city again! It's like the Opti did nothing! So is something wrong with it or is my clear coat just in such disarray that absolutely nothing can help/hide its pure crapness?

So now here I am with an almost 10 year old car with the only seeming option that will work is to spend 20% of the car's value on replacing a darn bumper, but surely there has to be an explanation why Opti couldn't even protect it a little bit after ONE SINGLE WASH! Any thoughts???

Here are some before polish, after polish/opti, and after one wash with opti a week after application for you to look at. Not the greatest week after picture but all I got. The ripples that look like reflections in bottom left of bumper are swirls, as are the ones by the license plate. It literally looks nearly as bad as the first picture after that single wash. Optimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)-before-polish-jpgOptimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)-after-polish-jpgOptimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)-wash-after-opti-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat - did not work on my car! (w pics)

Coatings are not impervious to swirls and scratches. They tend to take on the characteristics of the paint.

Sounds like you have soft paint in that area if it swirls that easily.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Coatings are not impervious to swirls and scratches. They tend to take on the characteristics of the paint.

Sounds like you have soft paint in that area if it swirls that easily.
    Oh I didn't know that; I thought the coating was another layer so to speak. I too would have thought soft paint, but as I pointed out this was not a problem whatsoever the initial 2 years or so after the paint job. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Do I have any other option than a repaint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    Correct the paint one more time then have PPF installed? PPF does protect from swirls and actually heals itself a bit if you manage to swirl that up. Coatings won't protect you from swirls.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever heard about this website where you buy a pre-painted OEM bumper?

EDIT: I actually just talked to the owner. This is what he said about the paint they use, and then I later asked about swirling and he had the 2nd response here:

"We use Axalta's premium waterborne line for the base coat and the corresponding clear coat."

"We have not heard of any issues like that from customers. I know we painted my personal car last year and have polished on restoration projects we have done and have not had issues with swirling"

Painted 2010-2013 Chevrolet Camaro Genuine OEM Rear Bumper Cover

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I didn't know that; I thought the coating was another layer so to speak. I too would have thought soft paint, but as I pointed out this was not a problem whatsoever the initial 2 years or so after the paint job. That just doesn't make sense to me.

That is a common misconception with coatings. It is a ridiculous claim by coating manufacturers.

This style camaro has medium to hard paint. The repaint is the soft paint. As mentioned PPF would be an idea so you don't have to pay for a repaint.

One thing that is notorious by body shops is they take a rotary to remove sanding marks. They then use a glaze that fills in the rotary holograms. After the first wash is when the defects are seen.

Check the price for a repaint vs PPF vs a pre-painted piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't use the same company you did, but I also replaced the rear bumper on my 2007 Lexus ES350. It came prepainted, was a perfect match, and was in great condition when I received it. I installed it, waited the required 30 days, polished and coated with Optimum Gloss Coat. Turned out just fine.

I mean not to question your polishing ability, but from your description, either the bumper wasn't polished well enough before the coating was applied, or the washing technique caused swirling.

It is a misconception that coatings prevent swirling. But the few times I've been asked my opinion on swirls in coatings before, it's been equally issues with the polishing and with washing after the coating is installed.

I have no experience directly with PPF, but it could be a great solution for your situation.

One more note - I checked your link, and can tell you that the bumper I bought was half what it looks like you paid. I got mine from a company in Michigan off e-bay. If you decide to replace the bumper, perhaps try that?

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    I didn't use the same company you did, but I also replaced the rear bumper on my 2007 Lexus ES350. It came prepainted, was a perfect match, and was in great condition when I received it. I installed it, waited the required 30 days, polished and coated with Optimum Gloss Coat. Turned out just fine.

I mean not to question your polishing ability, but from your description, either the bumper wasn't polished well enough before the coating was applied, or the washing technique caused swirling.

It is a misconception that coatings prevent swirling. But the few times I've been asked my opinion on swirls in coatings before, it's been equally issues with the polishing and with washing after the coating is installed.

I have no experience directly with PPF, but it could be a great solution for your situation.

One more note - I checked your link, and can tell you that the bumper I bought was half what it looks like you paid. I got mine from a company in Michigan off e-bay. If you decide to replace the bumper, perhaps try that?

Good luck!
    Thanks, but the link I provided is OEM that comes PAINTED already. All I have to do is install.

Now I just need to know if anyone can tell me the quality of "Axalta Premium Waterborne" paint as I have no clue.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was painted already also. But it was painted when I ordered it, so it needed to cure before I could do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

So now here I am with an almost 10 year old car with the only seeming option that will work is to spend 20% of the car's value on replacing a darn bumper, but surely there has to be an explanation why Opti couldn't even protect it a little bit after ONE SINGLE WASH! Any thoughts???

looks like you fell for mass disinformation called internet!
    ...and not everything is as "advertised"

opti does not have anything to do with your swirls! period!
    you , do have to do with the swirls , most likely your wash mitt or your hand pressure, and i see that all the time..people have same wash mitt or they have a heavy heand and not realize the pressure.
    nope , your coating does not suppose to prevent your swirls , here is an operator issue.
    something in your techniques or prep was not good , blaming the coating does not fix your issue.

Coating is just an extra tool in your maintenance tool box, helps to clean your car easier , makes the paint look good , and last couple years compared with regular wax or seal , so... you have the wrong info about what a coat does and does not....

nothing personal , but you asked for thoughts , that`s mine!
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

13. Likes Daviddear30 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast