autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My review of Fg400 paint correcting a low mileage audi, and a follow up question.

Good morning AG community. Just wanted to provide my take on a recent paint correction to my 2018 audi TT in grey. The vehicle only had 4k miles on it but had some hard water spots, some swirling, and some random scratches that I'll contribute to dealer/tunnel washes. I began with a wash, clay, and IPA wash beforehand.

- I started assuming (new-ish car) that I could get away with a Lake Country green on my griots garage 5" DA and Menzerna 3500...boy was I wrong.

-pretty quickly moved to Fg400 and an orange pad. This corrected 90% of the defects on the car and honestly finished LSP ready. I feel like the term "heavy cut" on the label is a bit of a misnomer as I found it to be pretty moderate in its cut.. And most panels required a minimum of 2 passes on the orange.

- in the most affected areas I switched to the yellow pad, and again was able to finish to a high gloss without changing pad/product. I did make one good of the car on the side skirt while I was chasing a random scratch... I was so focused eyeing the defect I failed to notice the pad was spinning on a creaee on the side skirt and got some slight burn through. Probably 1mm by 10mm. It will need to be professionally repaired. But hey, live and learn.

-a lot of people seem to be bothered by the dusting of Fg400. I polished the car over 3-4 days, just a few hours a day, and constantly rotated pads and used blackfire pad conditioner before priming. I never found the dusting to be troublesome. Sure there was some, but nothing that would deter me from using.

- my question for the community. Now that I have a base that I am happy with, and assuming good washing habits, what should I consider for my "routine" polish? Considering using the menzerna 3500 I have with a finishing pad. But also looking at some of the hot one pass products like Sonax and 3dOne are offering on a uro-fiber finishing pad. I work from home, and don't drive a lot, so the vehicle will probably only see one polish a year. Would love your insight.

-

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My review of Fg400 paint correcting a low mileage audi, and a follow up question.

Update with some photos... Cause everyone loves pictures.

Nardo grey detail - Album on Imgur

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My review of Fg400 paint correcting a low mileage audi, and a follow up question.

Nice job, nice ride. If your pleased with the finish and considering that you don't drive much and you use proper washing and drying procedures..why are you even looking for a finishing polish? It will be a minimum of a year before you need a polish. Remember don't take off clear coat if you don't have to.

There are a lot of one step polishes that are good. I believe Mike P. favors Blackfire.

In regards to 400, two passes with an orange pad is not out of the ordinary. Not many compounds will work with one pass.

I agree that 400 is an awesome compound. I did my Infiniti (grey/graphite shadow) with 400 and no finishing polish.