autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swap out backing plates or get multiple polishers?

In any case, you'd have to buy a variety of Pad Sizes. It depends on "how many sizes" you choose to have to be able to use?

Let's say with the purchase of an older model GG6 (which there's nothing at all wrong with, and I believe still available from Griots Garage at a discount), or a Porter Cable 7424XP, with these two, you can outfit either with 3", 3-7/8", and 5" Backing Plates, and use 3", 4", and 5.5" Pads respectively.

The 3" and 3-7/8" Backing Plates will have to be Yellow Urethane Lake Country Backing Plates, and for the 5" Backing Plate, then get the Griots Garage Ventilated Plate, nicer than the LC 5" Yellow.

Takes 2 minutes at most to swap a Plate. Numerous makers in the Pad Sizes I mention above.

Yes, two Tools are more convenient, and for tight spots, something like the Griots G8 will work better than either tool I mention above outfitted with 3" Pads.

Either tool I mention above is capable of good correction on paint, even though they are not forced rotation machines, or long throws.

just some food for thought, all depends what you personally wish to do, and how much you're willing to invest?

Post Thanks / Like

I think for the home user a G9 is plenty good. No need for a 15mm polisher if you're not doing higher volume of cars. I have a G15 but only because the G9 wasn't available then. I think if I were to get new ones now I'd go G8 and G9 combo (which together probably cost the same or less than the G15 alone).
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reason I say "willing to invest", it does get expensive in any case, whether choosing one tool with multiple Plates and Pads, or a variety of a number of separate tools.

Factor the Pads. One should have at least a 1/2 dozen of any size and type. At $6-$9 a pop, Pad investments become pricey, running into multiple hundreds of dollars. Factor as well buying a decent Pad Cleaner to clean those Pads, APC's work poorly and harm Pads.

The Various Plates. And then the various Polish Chemicals. Figure Towels, Clay, various other accessories, one can easily invest $500 with just one machine and various Pads, Plates, Chemicals.

Consider though such an investment is for 4 vehicles, not 1, and as well not a "one time use", you'll have this equipment on hand for years if cared for.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelude1 View Post
    I am sure it's been covered before, but with the given selection of vehicles I am working with, am I really going to notice a huge difference in working speed going with a 15mm over the G9?
    On the dually for sure. Sienna probably.... other teo probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12