autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rupes Mille

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mille

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's something I say to people all the time, it's in a tone of joking -->

But all good humor is based in truth. Here's what I tell people and I believe it, live it and practice it,

I'm an equal opportunity exploiter. It if works, I'll show it. If it doesn't, I simply wont' show it. -Mike Phillips

Here's the context of the above,

In my classes, I will not show products that I would not use on my own car. I will not show products that I would not use on a black car. I will not show products I know can cause damage.

The first rule of professional car detailing,

First do no harm to the car

The second rule is ethics and it's,

Match your services to your customer and their car.

That simply means, don't oversell people services they don't need. I recommend my Package 1 more than my Package 2 for most of my customers. But if they want or insisit on a ceramic coting then I hope it's Package 2 as I hate doing Package 3.

Back to my saying, if it works, I'll show the hell out of it. That doesn't mean I like it, but it's not about me, it's about you. I like the people that attend my class to get the FULLEST experience and that means THEY get to use everything I show in the class. Because I only show products, tools, pads and TECHNIQUES that I know work I have NO FEAR in any situation. None. Zero. I'm always dialed-in and confident in my presentation and training.

I don't really like using the Mille OR the Makita PO5000C, but I'll show them all day long because they work. Just to note, when I do use any brand of 5mm gear-driven tool, I will tend to use thicker foam pads than thin foam pads, the tools seems to buff smoother this way. My caveat is I need to re-visit and spend more time with the Mille and the larger 150mm backing plate, (that's a 6" backing plate to us knuckle draggers), and the larger Mille 165mm pads, (that's 6.5" to us knuckle draggers) as I think these actually buff smoother than the smaller pads. And just to add, I prefer the 6" backing plate on the BEAST and the SUPA BEAST with the 6.5" pads versus the 5" backing plate with 5.5" and 6" pads. Now I'm going deep but I want to be fair and transparent as my way of helping others looking for information before spending money.

I would choose the Mille, in most cases, over any free spinning tool simply because my buffing style is to get the job done as fast as I can and for this reason I don't have time for pad stalling. I love buffing with the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark III when I'm doing finishing work because it's so smooth but more important because it leaves such a dang-near perfect finish. There's something to be said for long-stroke on the finishing side of the equation. Much so more than short stroke and much so more than short stroke gear-driven.

But most of the time, when I'm buffing out cars professionally, that means I'm getting paid to buff out someone's toy, I will grab the SUPA BEAST for power, speed, correction and finishing. If I were not so lazy I would start with the SUPA BEAST and finish with the FINISHER or the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark III, but this would mean grabbing another tool off the shelf, yada yada yada.... I'm way to in a hurry or way to fast for that, I grab one tool and GO!

Also - at all my classes at MTE this year I'm going to share my own secret technique for knocking out cars fast. I use it and I share it. It works.

But to Mark's comment,

I'm a fair person, also honest when presenting information on the AG forum and any social media touch point.

Thanks for all the info Mike! Was close to buying the new supa beast but all I have is 5.5" LC force hybrid pads and I see you like the 6.5" pads better. Might just buy it anyways and then grab some 6.5" pads at a later time. Got to be better than my HF polisher.

2. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

It IS a smooth machine, in that there's very little vibration.
    I agree too - on a flat panel, with your pad centered, both 5mm tools are very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

HOWEVER, I still feel it will try to walk on you MORE than the 8mm 3401.
    I only notice this when moving from one plane to another. Once you get to the next plane, it's back to being smooth - assuming you're holding the pad flat to the surface and this holds true for the BEAST also.

Quote Originally Posted by PEAD19 View Post

Thanks for all the info Mike! Was close to buying the new supa beast but all I have is 5.5" LC force hybrid pads and I see you like the 6.5" pads better.
    The corded BEASTS - both the original 3401 and the Supa Beast have the power to turn and churn the larger size pads. My prefence is to cover real-estate and as much of it as I can. Thus this article,

Why I call the FLEX 3401 the BEAST! by Mike Phillips

It does help to have some upper body strength and I've always belonged to a gym and worked out and recommended the same to anyone that wants to detail cars or boats. There's just something to be said for a little muscle to show any tool who's the boss.

Might just buy it anyways and then grab some 6.5" pads at a later time. Got to be better than my HF polisher.

Dan Tran added this,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post

It’s true what they say,

“Different strokes for different folks.”

And it's accurate. The thing is, you really don't know if you're going to like one of the really cool tools on the market now days until you spend some time behind it. Not to beat a living horse, but that's what people like about my classes. You get LOTS of hands-on time with all the tools, you don't sit in a chair or watch the instructor use the tools - it's all about you.

I've seen so many people at the start of one of my classes talk about how their excited to test out a specific brand and model, but after testing out all the brands and models they found they didn't like what they thought they would like and ended up really liking what they didn't think they would like.

You just don't know until you spend some hours with any tools. Hours. Buffing out flat panels and curves. Using compounds, polishes and AIOs.

4. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I agree too - on a flat panel, with your pad centered, both 5mm tools are very smooth.

I only notice this when moving from one plane to another. Once you get to the next plane, it's back to being smooth - assuming you're holding the pad flat to the surface and this holds true for the BEAST also.

The corded BEASTS - both the original 3401 and the Supa Beast have the power to turn and churn the larger size pads. My prefence is to cover real-estate and as much of it as I can. Thus this article,

Why I call the FLEX 3401 the BEAST! by Mike Phillips

It does help to have some upper body strength and I've always belonged to a gym and worked out and recommended the same to anyone that wants to detail cars or boats. There's just something to be said for a little muscle to show any tool who's the boss.

Dan Tran added this,

And it's accurate. The thing is, you really don't know if you're going to like one of the really cool tools on the market now days until you spend some time behind it. Not to beat a living horse, but that's what people like about my classes. You get LOTS of hands-on time with all the tools, you don't sit in a chair or watch the instructor use the tools - it's all about you.

I've seen so many people at the start of one of my classes talk about how their excited to test out a specific brand and model, but after testing out all the brands and models they found they didn't like what they thought they would like and ended up really liking what they didn't think they would like.

You just don't know until you spend some hours with any tools. Hours. Buffing out flat panels and curves. Using compounds, polishes and AIOs.

Would he nice to try the new tools out at one of your classes but I am working 60+ hrs at my day job and raising a family. I know its a gamble buying a nice new tool without trying it out, but really dont have a choice. Thats why i have been researching all i can atm. Have you ever held any classes in central IL, or plan too?

Mike Phillips

Have you ever held any classes in central IL, or plan too?
    I've held classes in Illinois twice.

When we talk specific cities, I always figure if I've shipped 1300 pounds of tools to an offsite location (no one else in the industry does this), then I'm close enough.

It's always going to be closer than driving to South Florida.

7. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234