autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling to bring in business

Set up your business in the parking lot of a mall-- under a canopy
    Someone does that here and they are usually pretty busy
    its amazing the people i see going thru those automatic car washes
    they are building lots of new ones all the time here

2. Likes A-train liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So after looking at your website here are the services I would do instead:

I would personally change from offering waxes/sealants as an add-on to doing more of a straight up wash & wax starting at $99

Your signature detail is just a foam cannon wash with a full interior starting at $170. I noticed you go through a foam cannon wash with even the most basic details. If your going through all that work, might as well add in the wax/sealant and set your starting prices at $250

I would personally get rid of mini details, seems like every other guy around you is doing the same.

Where is your AIO exterior service? $199
    Where is your complete interior only service? $150

Your compound and polish should not start at $100. More like $399/$599 for 1-step / two-step

Don’t focus on the competition. Be bold and create the market if it doesn’t exist yet. When I moved to Maine, I was in the same boat. But I was not afraid to be higher priced. Eventually it didn’t take long before my prices became the norm. I became known for quality.

Looking around for detailers on Google in your area and I’ve determined it is not hard to complete.

Go after Google reviews. I feel that if you appear SO good for the area, it’s hard for people to ignore. Don’t forget to link your website to Google My Business.

4. Likes SWETM, PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack, tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am Truly Sorry for your loss Daughter & clientele.

I've been detailing off & on for 40+ years. I started in Auto Body, then to larger boats then cars & trucks smaller boats (trailing type) Now I still do all of that except the big boats (That is a young mans game lots of labor).

Here is what you need to know. There are always going to be someone to undercut you . YOU need to make yourself better than then for what ever reason. Price ,Quality find your niche & rock & roll with it.

I've made myself know as The Best Harley Detailer in South Florida's Treasure Coast ,Not the cheapest , Not the Fastest. I have worked very hard for that title & will not compromise MY standards for someone wanting a $150, Spit Shine. I don't do $150 Spit Shines, I fix $150 Spit Shines . The Motorcycle market being what it is I find the volume of customers diminishing.

That's OK with me I will put the Detailing back in the box until someone is looking for Quality not Quantity.

People are Fickle they don't know the difference between a Landscaper with all the right tools & experience + insurance , OR gram-pa with a push mower ,weed wacker & a hand held electric blower. All they see is their grass is cut. When Gramps runs over your wives prize Roses is when the difference reveals itself.

Its A cut Throat arena now , anyone with a few grand can take a class buy some tools & be a professional detailer.

If this is what you want GO FOR IT ,do not give up & find a way to earn your customers loyalty.

That is my humble opinion.

SlowRide66

Rob Harley Detailer
    Discriminating Detailing or Nothing at all!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your daughter.

Maybe look at becoming an authorized coating installer? A lot of them are really not that hard to apply and it will put your name on the map and give you more recognition. We pretty much completely went away from wash&seal services at my shop (unless it's a maintenance detail on an already corrected/coated car we've done in the past).

I know a few people personally who went out on their own, started a detailing company from scratch and basically relied on being a coating installer to build their image. What gets high paying customers through the door are the bigger services (paint correction and ceramic coatings). The stuff you and your wife are doing is great, but that's low paying work and on the bottom end of the spectrum where you deal with price shoppers and alot of customers that simply do not appreciate or see the value in higher end work. You need to do a ton of volume to make decent money washing and vacuuming cars.

I HIGHLY recommend learning paint correction and ceramic coatings. Start with some consumer based coatings to get the feel for it like 22PLE, or the consumer CQuartz products. Once you're past the "fear" of applying them, you'll LOVE coatings. Keep your head up, focus on QUALITY and great customer service. I hope it all works out for you.

7. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your story tugs at my heartstrings. I can only offer you best wishes in dealing with your loss and current situation. We ALL want it to work out for you.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't have advice past what was given, as I am a hobbyist. I wish you the best in furthering your business, and I believe you can do it. I am terribly sorry to hear about your daughter. Nobody should ever have to go through that.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Struggling to bring in business

I’m sorry to hear about your loss,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    As a parent, losing a child has to be the worst, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Based on the situation described (40,000 population, people "uneducated" on detailing, and 4 competing detailers, with one guy undercutting everyone at $100), I'd say :

First, investigate your competition, esp. the $100 guy and find out exactly what they are doing and for how much. Adjust your service/cost accordingly.

Drop the floor & seat shampooing/steaming and plastic dressing from your basic service and have them as "add on" charges.

Look for tools and/or process improvements that will allow you to do your job faster. Right now you are making ~$40/hr (divided by 2 people) and that's not cutting it. Pressure washer+foam cannon, blower for drying, etc., can be big time savers. Something as simple as using a flag tipped brush to apply tire dressing can knock a lot of time off a task ... probably one of the simplest/best tips I have gotten from this forum so far.

Trying to "educate" potential customers may help some, but most people really could care less and will go for cheaper vs. better. For now I think it's better for you to concentrate on how many cars you can get in and how fast you can turn them out.

Look for B2B opportunities with other local companies where you can refer customers to them and they can refer customers to you in exchange.

Ask your customers to do reviews to try to better establish your reputation, esp. online like Google Reviews, Angies List, etc.
    ^^^^Sound advice.

I am so sorry for the loss of your child. Building a successful business is a good diversion from the grief. As a fellow New Englander, I wish you all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Struggling to bring in business-mobile-car-wash-jpg
    This is set up in our chyntzie little "mall " here in town

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12