autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What do I need to start my paint correction??

I have the whole 2 bucket system lots of MF towels as well as an assortment of waffle towels from a few suppliers to get my washing done but havent done any paint correction in 20+ years. I was given a PC 7335 to add to my collection but havent thought about digging it out until now. I have a black 12 ridgeline and dark blue 17 Odessey that both need some love. I have no pads, compounds, clay or anything specific for paint correction. I am also looking for a good wheel cleaner as well.
    The Ridgeline was a recent purchase and the shop that sold it did a for the lot detail and while it does look nice it does have a lot of fine scratches and swirls.

I appreciate everyone's assistance in getting me going.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do I need to start my paint correction??

Hello, and welcome. Since both of your vehicles are Hondas, the paint is on the softer side, easy to correct. If you are looking for a true 1 step product, Blackfire One Step gets amazing results on Asian cars. As for pads, I like Lake Country HDO blue and orange pads for most jobs. If you want excellent results, and want to add your own wax/sealant/coating, HD ONE nets you amazing results with the same pads, just no protection like the Blackfire. Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my suggestions:

Lake Country 5.5 thin pro Orange pads (4-6qty) I would use the THIN because of the machine you have isnt really powerful.

AIO - I like HD Speed but really pick any AIO from the vast selection here at AG and you wont go wrong. AIO=All In One which polishes and leaves protection behind

I would get one of the many clay towels/mitts cause it is easier than clay - use VERY light pressure these arent meant to scrub with pressure

As for wheel cleaner I really really love the Meguiars D143 Non-Acid Wheel and Tire cleaner because it does an awesome job on the tires and wheels, no need for 2 separate products.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I assume the PC 7335 is basically the same machine as the older PC7424. Nothing wrong with either.
    Do you have a Backing Plate for it? What size? Ideally the largest Pad size for this machine with be 5.5", thus you should have on hand a 5" Backing Plate to pair with such Pads.

Either the Lake Country 5" Yellow Urethane Backing Plate, or better yet, the Griots Garage 5" Ventilated Backing Plate with be the choices, and either are sold here. I'd opt for the latter GG Ventilated Plate.

Pads, a good choice would be the Lake Country Thinpro Flat Pads in 5.5" size. A couple of Orange, and 4 White should suffice to start. If you wish to buy more than this quantity, then perhaps a 1/2 dozen of each the Orange, and White Pads.

Not to take business from here, unless you wish to get in on a good sale here, which I think there is one currently, but Clay Bar Kits are easy to get at Auto Parts Stores. Nothing wrong with Mothers, or Meguiars Clay Bar Kits, usually come with a bottle of Spray, and a simple Meg's Red Bottle Spray Detailer works well if you run out of the Spray Lube that comes with the Kits.

Chemicals, yes, I'd reckon Blackfire One Step should be fine. Megs #205, another very good Polish, can be used by Hand, D/A, or Rotary.

Wax if needed, Collinite #845 Insulator wax is always a good choice. Fairly inexpensive, a little goes a long way, commonly about an ounce to do a vehicle, and it offers fairly long lasting protection, looks very nice, and beads like crazy. Figure 3-4 months protection on a daily driver.

Wheel-Tire Cleaners, that can be as simple as LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner from places like Dollar Tree, for a $1 a quart. Works very well and is very cheap. Can be diluted, or used full strength as needed.