autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR on salty cars - Question about drying

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I feel ya on the stains after washing.
    That is the one big downer about ONR. I want my towels clean, clean, clean, not stained.

I soak my rinseless towels with a splash of Zep industrial orange degreaser in a bucket for a day or two before a hot wash/extra rinse. This helps them wash clean.
    I am trying Zep 505 for the soak now, which seems to draw the dirt out better....jury is out on that one for awhile.

I use Eagles for the rinseless and dry. The car isn't wet enough to use my PFMs which would just soak up the Merlins mix anyway.

The problem being Canadian, I would guess is product availability and prices. I feel for ya, but your rich, you drive a BMW!!
    Ok I wasn't sure if I could soak them in degreaser, MFs are so precious but I might give that a try. I have some super clean though it might be a bit to strong. I can get some orange zep though locally here so I might try that first! I was soaking my MFs in the ONR bucket but I guess it's not strong enough.

Haha yes definitely, and trust me I am not rich at all lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    Don't even waste your time with doing ONR on a salty car. What a nightmare process that is. You're literally just wiping salt around and not removing it from the areas that really matter and might cause rust on your vehicle (undercarriage/wheel wells/door jambs/ hood jamb). I did ONR once on my car when it barely had any salt and lets just say I don't ever plan to do that again. I love ONR for what it is and I use it daily, it's one of my favorite products, but I only foam cannon/pressure wash in the winter these days. If you don't have that kinda luxury just pay the 5 bucks and go through a touchless wash. MUCH better than ONR which is useless if your car is seriously nasty and completely salt covered.
    I would have to disagree as most people I read on the subject say it works well for them and no marring. And after using it myself with just a pre-soak, I couldn't feel any grit via the towle being rubbed against. If I go at a car wash I don't want to strip my LSPs. Rust isn't an issue on my car really.

I will do a pre rinse though at the manual wash with water one day or 2 before. And then ONR pre soak before touching, just the pre-soak seems to lift all of the salt and dirt and calcium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Assuming the towel is clean (ie. free of any abrasive particulate), technique may have biggest effect on whether or not you marr already-perfected paint. Blotting (vs. wiping) will always be the safest mode.

If your towels pass the Mike Phillips towel test - How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars - then they should be fine despite the staining.

You could always use some of these Carbon Black Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth 12 Pack towels. They're inexpensive, excellent quality, and you likely will not notice staining anymore. They advertise them for wax/polish removal but they are versatile and work fine for rinseless. Grab a dozen or two when they go on sale.
    Always wanted to blot but it's just so innefective every time I try. And since I am applying a LSP I don't think blotting would work well. I'll look at that link thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Ok I wasn't sure if I could soak them in degreaser, MFs are so precious but I might give that a try. I have some super clean though it might be a bit to strong. I can get some orange zep though locally here so I might try that first! I was soaking my MFs in the ONR bucket but I guess it's not strong enough.

Haha yes definitely, and trust me I am not rich at all lol.

I would have to disagree as most people I read on the subject say it works well for them and no marring. And after using it myself with just a pre-soak, I couldn't feel any grit via the towle being rubbed against. If I go at a car wash I don't want to strip my LSPs. Rust isn't an issue on my car really.

I will do a pre rinse though at the manual wash with water one day or 2 before. And then ONR pre soak before touching, just the pre-soak seems to lift all of the salt and dirt and calcium.
    Go ahead bud, the ONR wash process sounds like a PERFECT fit for you! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Been using it for at least 4 years on Canadian salted car.
    My method works both winter and summer.
    2 buckets, sponge wash, rinse sponge in second bucket, drying towel to dry.
    I then wash my drying towels after and repeat.
    Car is 2001 and no rust issues on body. I think ONR is better than hose down as the salt doesn't follow the water and sit in the hard spots.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Been using it for at least 4 years on Canadian salted car.
    My method works both winter and summer.
    2 buckets, sponge wash, rinse sponge in second bucket, drying towel to dry.
    I then wash my drying towels after and repeat.
    Car is 2001 and no rust issues on body. I think ONR is better than hose down as the salt doesn't follow the water and sit in the hard spots.
    Thanks for your input. I'm not really cleaning the car to avoid rust I just want it clean really. Rust isn't an issue on my car honnestly with these models.

Just you know, don't want to put swirls since I polished last year.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If my truck is dirtier than usual (or more salt covered) I will tend to use the ONR towel "wetter" - in other words I don't wring it out as much so that as I wipe the excess fluid flows over the panel to help loosen the next pass. For my four-door pickup I sometimes will dump and refill the bucket with fresh ONR for the second half of the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
    If my truck is dirtier than usual (or more salt covered) I will tend to use the ONR towel "wetter" - in other words I don't wring it out as much so that as I wipe the excess fluid flows over the panel to help loosen the next pass. For my four-door pickup I sometimes will dump and refill the bucket with fresh ONR for the second half of the truck.
    No spray on pre-soak or foam?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    I'm slowly warming up to ONR but quickly
    got scared a little bit in the drying process.

Now with ONR, my towel is dry but I spray
    about 5 sprays of beadmaker on it then 2-3
    on the pannel.

One thing I kinda didn't like was that in some
    cases I could see still a bit of dirt inside of
    bubbles or like some dirty water, I wasn't to
    sure if it was ok to go over it or not, I did but
    I'm sure I probably shouldn't have.

Instead should've done a another pass with a
    cleaning microfiber that I used before but oh well.

That said, my question is, should I maybe opt
    for a plushier drying towel for cases like these
    where they could safely remove that dirt or what
    you all recommend I do differently.
    I feel that you touched on the answer when you
    said that you: ’should’ve done a another pass with
    a cleaning microfiber’
    (ie: ‘when you could see still a
    bit of dirt inside of bubbles or like some dirty water...’)

IMO:
    •By going that route, you would have eliminated
    the anxiety of, then, using your usual drying
    towels to complete the task at hand.

-That way: There’d be no need to switch
    horses in the middle of the stream.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12