autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots g9 broken?

I was a little apprehensive to order a G9 since some Youtubers were experiencing some problems with it but for Black Friday I ordered it from Autogeek, it arrived really fast and I was itching to use it but because I had an accident nearly 3 months ago the body shop recommended that I wait at least 90 days to let the paint cure. Last Saturday I set on polishing the car. When I ordered the G9 neither Griot's Garage nor Autogeek had the 5 " backing plate in stock so I used my old MaxShine one, it did work but stalled quite a lot even on the flat panels. I'll be heading to So. Florida this weekend so I'll stop by Autogeek to buy the recommended backing plate. It should work fine after this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Get a G6 put it on speed 6 on a flat panel and you won't be able to stall it using a lot of pressure. Get the same pad combo and do it on a curve and it will stall easily. Same applies to any free spinning DA including the G9. It depends one how sharp the curves are and how much pressure is being applied.
    Makes logical sense there. Same applies to the Porter Cable DA, Duetto, etc., any 'free wheeler". Reckon if one never wants to deal with possible stall with a DA, then a Flex 3401 or Rupes Mille is the ticket.

3. Likes Rsurfer, Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll weigh in in this again. My original G9 failed and was replaced. Haven’t used it as of yet but I have my fingers crossed. When I used the first one, I was kinda of impressed with the lack of stalling. This was with the 6” plate and 6.5” boss pads. While waiting for the replacement, I bought the G15. Using the 5.5” boss pads it stalled more frequently than the G9. Also have a maxshine M21 pro with a 6” plate it stalls slightly less than the G15 with Boss pads.
    Recently purchased the G8. For those of you following the G8 thread, you will see it needs to go back. Speed fluctuates wildly regardless of which cord I use. I own 92) 10’ and a 25’ cord. I replaced the brushes which were worn uneven. This didn’t make a noticeable difference. I ran it unloaded for about 10 minutes and used it today. No changes.
    2 common denominators here. First is all free wheeling DA’s I’ve used stall to some degree. Either a little technique change, pad change or matching the pad size to the panel will get you through. Secondly, I believe Griots unveiled both the G8and the G9 starting they had a new partner. It seems they might need to have a sit down before their reputation takes too big a hit

5. Likes Reuben Brumby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troda View Post
    I’ll weigh in in this again. My original G9 failed and was replaced. Haven’t used it as of yet but I have my fingers crossed. When I used the first one, I was kinda of impressed with the lack of stalling. This was with the 6” plate and 6.5” boss pads. While waiting for the replacement, I bought the G15. Using the 5.5” boss pads it stalled more frequently than the G9. Also have a maxshine M21 pro with a 6” plate it stalls slightly less than the G15 with Boss pads.
    Recently purchased the G8. For those of you following the G8 thread, you will see it needs to go back. Speed fluctuates wildly regardless of which cord I use. I own 92) 10’ and a 25’ cord. I replaced the brushes which were worn uneven. This didn’t make a noticeable difference. I ran it unloaded for about 10 minutes and used it today. No changes.
    2 common denominators here. First is all free wheeling DA’s I’ve used stall to some degree. Either a little technique change, pad change or matching the pad size to the panel will get you through. Secondly, I believe Griots unveiled both the G8and the G9 starting they had a new partner. It seems they might need to have a sit down before their reputation takes too big a hit
    Like with any new product, it will have some bugs that need to be worked out. This is why I won't buy a first new model car.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like with any new product, it will have some bugs that need to be worked out. This is why I won't buy a first new model car.
    Big time.

I was at another dealer on Tuesday. (Ford/Lincoln. We are only Ford).

He told me that the new Aviator's (built on the new 2020 Explorer platform) are FULL of problems/recalls.

And these are around 75-80k. Not 150 bucks.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes Rsurfer, Reuben Brumby, KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With more than 38 years in the industry now, my experience is that first-year new models are among the highest in build quality but experience more problems with purchased parts because suppliers are not in tune. At the assembly level, an almost-OCD level of attention is paid to new models, not to mention all the body-in-white, pre-pilot, pilot, pre-production, and other trials that are done prior to commencing full production. In the end, it's still pretty amazing to see 30,000+ parts go from part print to becoming a complete auto. Nothing else so complex is built in such a mass production quantity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    With more than 38 years in the industry now, my experience is that first-year new models are among the highest in build quality but experience more problems with purchased parts because suppliers are not in tune. At the assembly level, an almost-OCD level of attention is paid to new models, not to mention all the body-in-white, pre-pilot, pilot, pre-production, and other trials that are done prior to commencing full production. In the end, it's still pretty amazing to see 30,000+ parts go from part print to becoming a complete auto. Nothing else so complex is built in such a mass production quantity.
    Agreed.

And on a smaller note, I'm sure the G9 is the same. OCD as they may be, there will be some unforeseen bugs.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually just ordered a G9 from Autogeek. The product page says ships in 4-6 weeks, and I received an email saying that it is on a “manufacture back order”, yet if you go to griots website, the G9 says “in stock”. If it was on a manufacture backorder, wouldn’t that imply that the manufacture had none in stock? I was curious if there was in fact a revision in the works causing the delay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Agreed.

And on a smaller note, I'm sure the G9 is the same. OCD as they may be, there will be some unforeseen bugs.
    It's usually down to some chintzy supplier working out of a one-room shop who doesn't understand geometric tolerancing or "forgot" to read all the specs ...

P.S. - There is actually a product approval/certification process for all supplied parts. But you wouldn't believe how often parts get "signed off" by some moron, or worse, by a moron who got his pockets lined. That's why we have a (supposed) ban on engineers and purchasing people receiving gifts from suppliers.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzabl View Post
    I actually just ordered a G9 from Autogeek. The product page says ships in 4-6 weeks, and I received an email saying that it is on a “manufacture back order”, yet if you go to griots website, the G9 says “in stock”. If it was on a manufacture backorder, wouldn’t that imply that the manufacture had none in stock? I was curious if there was in fact a revision in the works causing the delay.
    Ever heard of retail and wholesale? The retailer (Griot) may have stock, but the wholesaler side of Griot that supplies AG may be out of stock.

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast