autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ceramic Coating Prevents Rust?

Hey guys,

Noticed a IGL detailer & somebody who promotes them saying that this IGL Coating - ecocoat eclipse - high chemical resistance ceramic coating - IGL Coatings Is a replacement for Rust proofing on a car. They will spray the full underside of a car.

Now unless im wrong, coatings are not going to prevent rust, I could see maybe it preventing corrosion maybe? Am I wrong?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Prevents Rust?

I think that it can prevent rust. As corrosion on bare metall is rust. So as long as it can seal the metall from getting wet it's going to be preventing rust. I have a synthetic wax that's really great at prevent rust and even stop the rust if it's not to far gone as it has rust inhibitors in it. So any protection really can prevent rust from starting. The problem with some products is how long they can hold up. And in some places where you have a massive wear on the place it is at. As a wheel house where you have the tire sling up directly on the inner fender. These is usually made in a material that's not metall though. But you have the edge up to the fender where you have a often some kind of undercarriage bodyspray and sometimes just a thick layer of paint. If the industrial IGL coating is durable to that kind of wear it could be a great benefit to get some extra protection on such a part. And what I have seen IGL Industrial Coating is applyied with air brush or something like that. Think that they can build up a thicker layer in that kind of application. And you can see SiO2 in other kind of sealers that's use to protect moisture to get in to what you are sealing in. TiO2 you can see in some paints even and mostly in white paints. So the IGL Industrial Coating can be designed to have the ability to both being very durable to mechanical wear and keep moisture out from what it's protecting. Then it's also how long it lasts on a undercarriage and if it's seals bare metall enough or seals the protection that's already there. As in paint and plastic and rubber and the undercarriage protection that's already there. Also these kind of technology is used to seal bare metall on machines in for an example manufacturing plants. So absolutely it's possible for it to being able to prevent rust.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that could be true, it kinda makes sense but its true how long does it last and so on.

Also where can I buy one of these Ceramic Coating Air Bush tools? Something that does not need to be connected to a compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I think that it can prevent rust. As corrosion on bare metall is rust. So as long as it can seal the metall from getting wet it's going to be preventing rust. I have a synthetic wax that's really great at prevent rust and even stop the rust if it's not to far gone as it has rust inhibitors in it. So any protection really can prevent rust from starting. The problem with some products is how long they can hold up. And in some places where you have a massive wear on the place it is at. As a wheel house where you have the tire sling up directly on the inner fender. These is usually made in a material that's not metall though. But you have the edge up to the fender where you have a often some kind of undercarriage bodyspray and sometimes just a thick layer of paint. If the industrial IGL coating is durable to that kind of wear it could be a great benefit to get some extra protection on such a part. And what I have seen IGL Industrial Coating is applyied with air brush or something like that. Think that they can build up a thicker layer in that kind of application. And you can see SiO2 in other kind of sealers that's use to protect moisture to get in to what you are sealing in. TiO2 you can see in some paints even and mostly in white paints. So the IGL Industrial Coating can be designed to have the ability to both being very durable to mechanical wear and keep moisture out from what it's protecting. Then it's also how long it lasts on a undercarriage and if it's seals bare metall enough or seals the protection that's already there. As in paint and plastic and rubber and the undercarriage protection that's already there. Also these kind of technology is used to seal bare metall on machines in for an example manufacturing plants. So absolutely it's possible for it to being able to prevent rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    I guess that could be true, it kinda makes sense but its true how long does it last and so on.

Also where can I buy one of these Ceramic Coating Air Bush tools? Something that does not need to be connected to a compressor?
    PM Justin at Final Inspection and ask him what you can use with IGL Eclipse. He's an authorised installer for IGL.

You will need some kind of air compressor to use these air brush. But it usually comes in a kit these. Also IGL Eclipse is authorised only coating I think. Little strange with IGL that the paint ceramic coatings and some other is authorised only coatings. While the glass and wheels and fabric coatings and those are not. They have coatings both 1 year and 2 years for paint that could be consumer coatings but nope.

Post Thanks / Like

seems ceramic coatings are very thin. have a tire throw a rock and it would chip through it,the paint,and the primer leaving a place for rust to start. theres many times the rust starts from inside. ford tuarus' were notorious for wheel wells rotting from the inside out. ive replaced lower door skins where the rust start on the inside. wasnt noticed until a bubble appeared in the paint.

woolwax or fluid film would work better than a ceramic coating,imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    Now unless im wrong,
    coatings are not going to prevent rust,

I could see maybe it preventing corrosion
    maybe? Am I wrong?
    •IMO:
    -“Nano”-Coatings that are specifically designed/
    formulated to perform as anti-corrosion and
    rust-preventing films, would be preferable to
    “Nano”-Coatings that are specifically designed/
    formulated to perform as paint protection films.

•Rust(ing) is just one type of corrosion.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

so Eclipse is not meant to be leveled either, spray on, let dry and be done. its for most any industrial application but of course as most things people find what else they can use it on. it does do well at preventing corrosion/rust, ive been looking for the pics that some of the other installers posted of 50/50 on bare metal but there are a lot of images to go through.

Post Thanks / Like

Any LSP can prevent rust as long as it's going strong and protecting the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me a cynic, but unless the steel or metal is treated I don’t think anything you smear on it will do you any good... sorry just my pessimistic view.

Source: living in a place where salt and chemical brines are used 5-6+ months out of the year.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin