autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: 12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?

I wrote this in 2012 and it's just as accurate today as the day I wrote it

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

2. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    This video is the best or at least one of the best videos Yancy and I ever churned out.

It's complete and does 2 things,

1. Shows you what to do.
    2. Explains WHY to do it.

Most videos like this one just show you what to do. It's the part that explains WHY you're doing something PLUS the "what to do part", that makes the mental connection in your brain to enable you to do something successfully.

That’s the video I found when I was searching earlier Mike and it was extremely helpful !

Just seems that I need to pick up a few more pads before I start to make life a little bit easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your tips and help guys. I definitely need need a few more cutting pads for the next job I do - I spent all my money on polishing pads which I didn't end up using.

For the amateurs out there, I have included the time I spent doing this as this is a proper reflection of how long it really takes to do the job properly at home, in the garage, with kids and wife yelling at me

1) Full decontamination wash and masking up (4 hours)
    2) Correction done with Menzerna polish products and DA (9.5 hours)
    3) 2 layers of Gyeon Mohs + 1 layer of Gyeon CanCoat (7 hours including curing time between coats)
    4) Gyeon Cure the next morning 45 minutes

There really isn't much time to stop and take photos, when you're in the groove. Only enough time to stop for water breaks and lunch. 20+ hours of back breaking work (and that's not doing the wheels and B pillars).

Respect for the pros out there ! Will I do this again ? Probably not .. I think I said this the last time I worked on one of my cars...

12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-front-jpg12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-side-jpg12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-rear-jpg

5. Likes SWETM, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    Thanks for all your tips and help guys. I definitely need need a few more cutting pads for the next job I do - I spent all my money on polishing pads which I didn't end up using.

For the amateurs out there, I have included the time I spent doing this as this is a proper reflection of how long it really takes to do the job properly at home, in the garage, with kids and wife yelling at me

1) Full decontamination wash and masking up (4 hours)
    2) Correction done with Menzerna polish products and DA (9.5 hours)
    3) 2 layers of Gyeon Mohs + 1 layer of Gyeon CanCoat (7 hours including curing time between coats)
    4) Gyeon Cure the next morning 45 minutes

There really isn't much time to stop and take photos, when you're in the groove. Only enough time to stop for water breaks and lunch. 20+ hours of back breaking work (and that's not doing the wheels and B pillars).

Respect for the pros out there ! Will I do this again ? Probably not .. I think I said this the last time I worked on one of my cars...

12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-front-jpg12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-side-jpg12 month old car with good paint - what correction steps ?-rear-jpg
    Looks good though. Nice color. I said the same but after comments I get I’m ok with once every 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes stylo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work and write up and pictures Stylo!

Now if you have a great maintance washes and decon wash when needed and topped again if the performance degrade a little with CanCoat again. And you don't need to be polishing it again for 2-3 years. Yeah it's a hard physical work to detailing and I also have the fullest respect for those that does this full time and more!

/ Tony

9. Likes stylo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Car looks great. Something to think about down the road when you feel you may want to touch up any marring or swirls is to look into CarPro Essence +. Would save a lot of time by not having to completely strip and re polish your car.

11. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Car looks great. Something to think about down the road when you feel you may want to touch up any marring or swirls is to look into CarPro Essence +. Would save a lot of time by not having to completely strip and re polish your car.
    Have looked into essence + and will definitely get some for when the time comes to renew the coating, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all an update

Not happy with the bonnet and going to polish and redo. Went to the shop and I managed to pick up some Gyeon Skin with some other stuff.

Now the rest of the car is perfect but has 2xMohs and 1x layer CanCoat (and cure) applied about a month ago.

What’s the process to lay down the skin on the rest of the car where the Mohs has cured ? (Or should I not put skin over cured Mohs ?)

Can I just apply it over the top of the cured Mohs and CanCoat after a decontamination wash with Gyeon Bathe and IPA wipe ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    Hi all an update

Not happy with the bonnet and going to polish and redo. Went to the shop and I managed to pick up some Gyeon Skin with some other stuff.

Now the rest of the car is perfect but has 2xMohs and 1x layer CanCoat (and cure) applied about a month ago.

What’s the process to lay down the skin on the rest of the car where the Mohs has cured ? (Or should I not put skin over cured Mohs ?)

Can I just apply it over the top of the cured Mohs and CanCoat after a decontamination wash with Gyeon Bathe and IPA wipe ?
    This should help

Applying Skin Down the Road

15. Likes stylo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked Gyeon ... they said Skin is redundant on top of cancoat and cure.

I’ll just leave the rest of the car alone and just use it on the bonnet after I polish and mohs it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12