autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Long lasting ceramic coating conflicting info

For this winter I plan to coat my car with a sealant for some immediate protection, but as the weather breaks I plan to have a professional detail shop ceramic coat the car. I spoke with a reputable shop in the area and they mentioned that they have options that will last between 4-5 years. I did mention to them that this was a daily driver that would be parked outside, but washed at least once a week.

I did some research and it seems like there are varied opinions on how long ceramic coating actually lasts. Many believe it will not last over a year. If it will only last a year or so I don't believe the cost is justified, but if i can get 4-5 years out of the coating than I think it is worth doing.
    Can anyone comment on there experiences with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long lasting ceramic coating conflicting info

Did they provide names/brands of the coating options? Without knowing this it’s impossible to guess. All brands have different claims and different real world testimonies. And different environments, washing techniques, etc. are what will ultimately impact the longevity, especially for a daily driver.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience CQ U.K. 2.0 lasted 26 months on my old Ram, CQ U.K. 3.0 is going strong at 15 months on my current ride and wife's car has a non Autogeek product that is going strong at 9 months. All cars are washed at least weekly and I use CarPro Reload and Ech20 as soap, my opinion is that the consumer level products do last a good amount of time when maintained properly.

Now I wouldn't be interested in a claimed 4-5 year coating at all, by that time the car will need to be polished. Swirls,scratches,water spots,bird bombs and every other environmental hazard along with wear and tear that goes with my cars being used as a daily driver will impact the coating. Does the installer offer a warranty? If so ask specifically what is covered and the required maintenance that needs to be done to maintain the warranty.

I love the coatings as it makes clean up easier especially during winter and I'll always use them but I do spend the time maintaining them. If you aren't the type that at least does minimal maintenance,run the car thru tunnel washes or believe the coating is some sort of magical force field then any coating will not perform to its full capacity

4. Likes bofh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get to caught up in the longevity claims. There are too many factors to consider such the environment it is exposed to and overall care. Not to mention the drop in gloss over time as well as defects (ie swirls, scratches) developing again. You will enjoy the ease of cleaning and the fact that the vehicle will appear cleaner for as long as the coating is on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Temple90 View Post
    For this winter I plan to coat my car with a sealant for some immediate protection, but as the weather breaks I plan to have a professional detail shop ceramic coat the car. I spoke with a reputable shop in the area and they mentioned that they have options that will last between 4-5 years. I did mention to them that this was a daily driver that would be parked outside, but washed at least once a week.

I did some research and it seems like there are varied opinions on how long ceramic coating actually lasts. Many believe it will not last over a year. If it will only last a year or so I don't believe the cost is justified, but if i can get 4-5 years out of the coating than I think it is worth doing.
    Can anyone comment on there experiences with this?
    You'll never know for sure how durability will really turn out until you actually try it in your climate and your situation. Some things can be estimated by finding others experiences in similar conditions and usage but that's still just an educated guess.

We have 2 cars with considerably different usage patterns; both protected with same set of products and getting the same maintenance.

Car 1 was at 3 years and coating performance was probably 85% 'like new' when I removed and redid it. Likely easily coulda gone another 2 years barring any changes to usage patterns. About 17k miles at time of redo.

Car 2 wass at 2 years and was recently redone as coating had reached it's functional endpoint with regards to hydrophobic/self cleaning performance. About 43k miles at time of redo.

Car 1 is about 5500 miles a year, no freeway, sits outside from April thru November but only really driven daily November thru April, short trips, no freeway.

For 1st 2 years it sat outside 24/7, 365 days a year. We live on a wooded lot so it would spend weeks in Spring and Fall covered in debris from Maple, Oak, Cottonwood and all manner of other trees, mixed with frequent rain, snow and frost.

Car 2 is year round daily driver, generally always garaged, 20k miles a year, 95% freeway.

All are in NE Ohio.

Same protection, varying usage far different likely outcomes. Freeway use, especially during winter, is very, very hard on a vehicles finish. Merely sitting static outside as Car 1 has done most of its life seemed to have relatively little detrimental effect on coating.

However, I once had an exchange with a coating user in Arizona who pretty much observed the exact opposite; cars that sat stationary in Arizona had coatings that degraded quicker than cars that were frequently driven...effects of the nuclear sun in AZ, I'd guess. Last time I was in AZ I couldn't believe how toasted the hoods, roofs and trunks of cars were.

Point being, no claims listed on a box can even begin to adequately predict longevity.

It's the ultimate YMMV scenario.

7. Likes bofh, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, It depends on the product, how many coats are applied, Too many variables. Find out what product and do your research.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your maintenance habits. My wife’s car has Modesta BC08, a 3 year coating. It has been maintained by washing every 3 weeks and I’ve used the Modesta maintenance products. I coated it 3 years plus ago and it’s outside 24/7. It’s got a couple bird stains in it and some minor water spots, but it still sheds the water and looks great. Don’t fall for a written warranty or the more coats the better stuff.