autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rain got in the interior

Hey - l left my car window open and it rained. 2019 Camry. Only the right rear seat and right rear carpet area are wet. The carpet is very wet. Anything I need to do after it dries out? Besides closing the windows ? Not sure if mold could grow?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rain got in the interior

Was there standing water? If so then the worry is that the foam/padding under the carpet is soaked, and there will be pools of water under it all.

At the very least I’d vacuum it as much as you can with a wet/dry vac (set up for wet), and then set it up with a fan blowing on the area for a day.

If you’re mechanically inclined, you could pull the trim in the area to be able to lift the carpet and inspect under there.
    I work as a technician, when we get cars like this, we’ll prop the carpet up, vacuum both top and bottom sides of the carpet, then let a fan blow for as long as time allows.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Was there standing water? If so then the worry is that the foam/padding under the carpet is soaked, and there will be pools of water under it all.

At the very least I’d vacuum it as much as you can with a wet/dry vac (set up for wet), and then set it up with a fan blowing on the area for a day.

If you’re mechanically inclined, you could pull the trim in the area to be able to lift the carpet and inspect under there.
    I work as a technician, when we get cars like this, we’ll prop the carpet up, vacuum both top and bottom sides of the carpet, then let a fan blow for as long as time allows.

Hope this helps.
    I'd do this at a minimum. Also, get a couple of towels, place on the wet areas and stand/kneel then bounce to extract as much water as possible. Then when as much moisture is removed, let a fan blow on it for as long as it takes to dry. You do not want mold to build to grow in those areas that remain wet and damp.

4. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The padding is definitely pretty wet. The good news is that the area is limited to the rear right carpet well. Now I am concerned that it will take days to dry out with possible mold. Ideally I wish I could get the carpet & padding lifted up so that it will dry quicker. But I really do not know how to dismantle the interior. Seems like I would also have to remove the front passenger seat. Suggestions? Will it dry on its own or do I need to get an auto shop to pull the carpet/padding up to speed up the drying. My main concern is mold build up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenreasy View Post
    The padding is definitely pretty wet. The good news is that the area is limited to the rear right carpet well. Now I am concerned that it will take days to dry out with possible mold. Ideally I wish I could get the carpet & padding lifted up so that it will dry quicker. But I really do not know how to dismantle the interior. Seems like I would also have to remove the front passenger seat. Suggestions? Will it dry on its own or do I need to get an auto shop to pull the carpet/padding up to speed up the drying. My main concern is mold build up.
    Get the carpet and padding up and dried ASAP!!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Get the carpet and padding up and dried ASAP!!!!
    It's Sunday not much I can do. Will take it to a shop tomorrow. Maybe they can cut out the wet pad & replace.

Post Thanks / Like

It's Sunday not much I can do. Will take it to a shop tomorrow. Maybe they can cut out the wet pad & replace.
    Call some mobil detailers in your area and see if they can remove your seat and dry out the carpet.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Call some mobil detailers in your area and see if they can remove your seat and dry out the carpet.
    ok I went ahead and was able to remove the front passenger seat. I lifted up the carpet from the cutout under the front seat to help it air out & dry. Optimally it would be great to pull the carpet and pad back from the right rear but I don't know how to do the disassembly (wish they had a youtube vid ). You think the pad will be ok once it dries out?

Post Thanks / Like

ok I went ahead and was able to remove the front passenger seat. I lifted up the carpet from the cutout under the front seat to help it air out & dry. Optimally it would be great to pull the carpet and pad back from the right rear but I don't know how to do the disassembly. You think the pad will be ok once it dries out?
    Yes, it's only water. Stick a small bottle between the floor pan and then stick another bottle between the carpet and padding to allow air to circulate. Get a small fan in there and leave the door open if possible. You want maximum air movement.