autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with this spot?

Not realizing what I was doing I burned the crap out of my paint job trying to remove some vehicle lettering with a drill and an eraser wheel.

What to do with this spot?-cab-rub-spot-jpg

The bad spot is the round patch right in the middle. The upper right is just a reflection of clouds. This was once a police car that got a cheap paint job when it was converted into a cab. It`s been dinged a little bit so I`m not looking for anything close to perfection.

My plan is to do a DIY ceramic treatment, but before I do I`d like to see what I can do about this spot. As I don`t have a buffer is there any kind of hand treatment I can do to improve this spot that`s compatible with a ceramic coating? From what little I`ve read so far wax might not agree too well with a ceramic coating.

Second question is .. what`s a good DIY ceramic product? I don`t want the cheapest, but I`m not into spending a lot of money either.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with this spot?

Burned like scuffed?

Did the wheel turn blue?

If you didn't go through the clear you could just pick up some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a couple microfiber applicator pads just about anywhere.

This would bring it to finishing polish level. This simple approach would tell you were you are at with damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's scuffed. A good soap and scrub doesn't effect this spot at all. The wheel didn't get into the blue so at least i've got that on my side.

Really good to know there's a relatively simple treatment for this. Could you recommend any of the DIY ceramic products?

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to assume you are looking for products over the counter. If so get yourself some foam applicators, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, IPA to make your prep solution and either Mothers CMX or Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

I would recommend you get yourself a polisher. You can pick up a Griot's Garage 6" DA at local autoparts stores these days. A good thread

Man versus Machine

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post