autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some advise, if you please

Hello all..

I am a new member.. I have been doing a lot of reading and am hoping to get some guidance if I am on the right track to make my cars look better.

I have:
    Dark Red 2004 Ford F150
    Dark Red 1997 Saturn SL2
    Silver 2004 Hyundai Elantra.

I live in MA, so winter is a factor, and I do not have a garage yet...so everything lives outside.

The two dark red vehicles have a lot of swirls and the works.. I thought I have been doing a good job so far but it seems I am way off.

Last year I started using Menzerna stuff, but I don't think I was working it long enough to make any of if work.

I have
    - Intense Polish
    - Final Polish
    - Finishing Glaze
    - FMJ
    - Menzerna Car wash
    - Gold Class Car Wash
    - A selection of Lake County pads to run on my Porter Cable 7424.
    - White Pads, Red, Black, Orange, Yellow..
    - An old selection of Zaino stuff, Z1, Z2, Z5, plastic, wheel stuff, glass polisher, and detail spray ~6-7 years old...

According to other posts, the FMJ is really not a very long lasting product, so I need to find a finishing sealer/wax. Here is what I was thinking of starting with, I welcome any advice.

I want to order:

->Menzerna Nano Polish PO106FF -- or should I stick with what I have?
    -> Blue and Grey Pads, with the Pad cleaner and Pad prep stuff.-- they seem to be suggested.
    -> Pinnacle Signature Series II Paste Wax
    ->Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Selant.
    --- I need something to finish the Menzerna steps, Each seems to have its strengths, and one is carnuba with the other synthetic.
    -> Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special - my clay has reached the end of its life.
    -> Ultimate Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra -- So I can stop using towels.

For the interior, it seems that Folex and the LGCM seem a good combination for carpets and the Aerospace 303 for plastic.

Does this seem logical? Are there better choices? Did I miss anything important? I think I am going to go easy with wheels and glass for now besides the stoner glass cleaner... One step at a time...

Thanks in Advance
    Don F.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some advise, if you please

Hi Don,
    The Nano 106FF is a polish that will fit in between your Intensive Polish and Final Polish. That being said you most likely could get by without ordering it until you use up your current finishing polish. That being said, I personally have had better luck working with the 106ff compared to the IP and FP. You'll still need a strong polish to remove the swirls (not sure if IP can cut it) because 106FF only has light abrasives but the finish it leaves is very nice. Just be sure to turn the PC up to speed 5 or 6 and do slow overlapping passes. Don't use too much polish either, a few pea size drops will do.

I'm not sure what you mean 'to finish the Menzerna steps' ... after you are done polishing (with either 106FF or FP) you can begin applying protection. You have a few choices here. You can use your Zaino beginning with Z1 and then topping that with Z2 or Z5. Or you can use your Finishing Glaze with your new SSII wax. Or you can simply go to the Wolfgang DGPS. I would caution you applying the Finishing Glaze before a sealant (Wolfgang or Zaino). I personally haven't used this product but the glaze may cause bonding issues with sealants.

So you really should be good to go after this though. It seems like you have all of the bases covered. I always say that one can never have too many pads, MF towels or clay ... no matter what they all will get used . Good luck and lets hope for some warm weather soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I want to order:

->Menzerna Nano Polish PO106FF -- or should I stick with what I have?
    -> Blue and Grey Pads, with the Pad cleaner and Pad prep stuff.-- they seem to be suggested.
    -> Pinnacle Signature Series II Paste Wax
    ->Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Selant.
    --- I need something to finish the Menzerna steps, Each seems to have its strengths, and one is carnuba with the other synthetic.
    -> Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special - my clay has reached the end of its life.
    -> Ultimate Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra -- So I can stop using towels.

For the interior, it seems that Folex and the LGCM seem a good combination for carpets and the Aerospace 303 for plastic.

nice order, only suggest adding a couple white pads as needed since the ones you are getting are finishing (light) pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far.. you guys are all great help.

Sorry, I worded the section " I need something to finish the Menzerna steps, Each seems to have its strengths, and one is carnuba with the other synthetic." incorrectly.

From what I have learned the FMJ is not a top notch sealer/wax to finish all the polishing off with. I am not sure if the Wolfgang or the SSII will get me the most protection being outside.

Post Thanks / Like

FMJ is rebottled and overpriced, not even a true Menzerna product. We will leave it at that. Klasse Twins, Zaino, and Collonite will provide longest protection for outside vehicles. That said some waxes are fast, easy and look good so whats 15-20 minutes once a month.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

excellent... this is the advice I was looking for.

There are a lot of Collonite selections. The Fleet Wax, Sapphire Auto Wax, oh boy they have quite a selection.

The Klasse Twins, is that the Kit, with the All in One and High Gloss Sealant Glaze?

Should those replace the SSII, and the Wolfgang, or be other options for winter? I am open to any/all opinions... I don't want to keep trying to make my cars shine and screw it up.

Thanks again in advance.

Don F.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

EDIT:

I guess since there seem to be only two Klasse products, the twins would have to be them...

Additionally, I am interpreting the response that some waxes are easy 15-20 minutes a month means to do a touch up type application once a month to make sure I am protected.
    Last edited by don04; 03-13-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don04 View Post
    EDIT:

I guess since there seem to be only two Klasse products, the twins would have to be them...

Additionally, I am interpreting the response that some waxes are easy 15-20 minutes a month means to do a touch up type application once a month to make sure I am protected.

you got it ~~

One note Klasse SG is a bit finicky but when used properly its darn near bulletproof. I suggest a spray fine spray bottle and the WOWO (Wipe On Wipe Off) method.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, more learning for me.. Looking at the application guides, it seems the SG is rather watery, and use the spray bottle to apply it. I will find the WOWO method with my new friend the search button.

Lastly, I am assuming you are suggesting not using the Wolfgang, nor the SSII, but go with the Klasse due to its protection for outside cars.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

WOWO -- wipe on, wipe off immediately , dont allow to dry/cure.

Klasse Twins are best for outside protection. You can add wax as wanted as topper for additional wetness. Wolfgang and SSII are great products, and work fine also, just need to be applied more often. And yes Klasse SG is quite watery.