autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating help. Tips...tricks...advice?

I've spent the last week polishing up my black ram truck and prepping for ceramic coating. I coated it right after I bought it new and it came out looking like ass. It was streaked and had rainbows and really looked horrible. I really want ceramic coat to work for me so what's some tips and advice. I'm using pinnacle black label diamond paint coating v2. I've prepped as per the instructions so I'm ready to rock come morning. Any advice or help is appreciated. Even if that advice is to forget ceramic and just put on Wolfgang 2.0 sealant. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating help. Tips...tricks...advice?

Quote Originally Posted by twahl View Post
    I've spent the last week polishing up my black ram truck and prepping for ceramic coating. I coated it right after I bought it new and it came out looking like ass. It was streaked and had rainbows and really looked horrible. I really want ceramic coat to work for me so what's some tips and advice. I'm using pinnacle black label diamond paint coating v2. I've prepped as per the instructions so I'm ready to rock come morning. Any advice or help is appreciated. Even if that advice is to forget ceramic and just put on Wolfgang 2.0 sealant. Thanks

The best I got is, use a paint prep spray and a lot of microfibers to make sure the paint is clean of all polishing oils.

Did you polish the old ceramic streaky mess off? I am thinking you did.

I apply the coating in a 2x3 area, set my stuff down and grab a 16x16 microsuede to level and blend. With no waiting I wipe/buff with a 365GSM towel and start over.

I feel the waiting to flash is flirting with disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating help. Tips...tricks...advice?

If you were left with a rainbowish streaky mess that tells me that you didn't buff off the residue thoroughly last time. This can happen if the coating is left to dwell for too long before beginning to wipe off the residue. Also if you do too large of a section that can happen.

Whenever I'm applying a ceramic coating to paintwork I like to use a three towel method for wiping off the coating residue. The towels are used sequentially to remove the coating residue in each section so that you are leveling the coating with an initial wipe, then buffing the panel almost clear with a 2nd towel, and then a 3rd fresh towel to ensure all residue is successfully removed. The towels are folded/flipped to a fresh section after each panel. After I've flipped through all the sides of my "initial wipe" towel it gets tossed, towel 2 becomes towel 1, towel 3 becomes towel 2, and a new fresh towel becomes towel 3. I go through about 4-6 towels with this method depending on the size of the vehicle.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter