autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's Ruined my Gauge Cluster (Photo in thread)

Edit: @jdgamble saved the day. After cleaning the lense with something harsher than glass cleaner (rubbing alcohol) it appears to be fixed.

So I recently bought some Meguiar's G16216 Ultimate Interior Detailer and used it on my dash, door panels, steering wheel, console, etc. Some of the overspray hit the gauge cluster and it permanently etched it. (Photo attached for reference). I'm very displeased with Meguiars because they specifically state on the bottle that it is safe for all interior surfaces, even "stereo/nav screens". I know Meguiars is pretty sub par but I needed something in a pinch because its been so hot here and I wanted something with UV protectant. I kind of want to remove it from every surface in the vehicle just to be safe.

Going forward, what is the recommended product for the interior that is proven safe and wont eat plastics in case of contact and provides UV protection? Should I use the same product on the door panels, knee guards, dash, console, etc., and then something separate for the seats which are a leather and alcantara mix? Is it better to use a multi stage system such as a cleaner, and then a protectant / conditioner?

Can someone please steer me in the right direction with a few product recommendations and how you guys recommend applying such products?

Meguiar's Ruined my Gauge Cluster (Photo in thread)-img-0231-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's Ruined my Gauge Cluster (Photo in thread)

I don’t think an interior detailer would etch plastic. It’s probably just dried on there. I’m sure someone can recommend something that would remove that. Did you try glass cleaner?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

3. Thanks derektm thanked for this post
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I strictly use ONR to clean gauge cluster, digital clock, stereo areas because of this....

Click on image to view work

5. Thanks derektm thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    I don’t think an interior detailer would etch plastic. It’s probably just dried on there. I’m sure someone can recommend something that would remove that. Did you try glass cleaner?

I thought the same thing myself. So far I've used some ammonia free glass cleaner on it. Scrubbed the crap out of it and nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailedByPrecision View Post
    I strictly use ONR to clean gauge cluster, digital clock, stereo areas because of this....
    Thanks for the tip.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post

Ok so your comment got me thinking. I used straight 91% Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol and cleaned the plastic lens. I then followed it up with some tint safe glass cleaner. It came out perfect. With a flashlight shined directly on it, it looks perfectly clear. Thanks!

Meguiar's Ruined my Gauge Cluster (Photo in thread)-img-0233-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Did you spray it directly onto the surface? Also did you follow up with another towel or a dry side of the towel in use after the initial wipe?

9. Thanks derektm thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Did you spray it directly onto the surface? Also did you follow up with another towel or a dry side of the towel in use after the initial wipe?
    Not sure what happened to the first post in the thread but for me its gone and post #1 of the thread is another members... strange.

Here is the original post

Quote Originally Posted by derektm
    So I recently bought some Meguiar's G16216 Ultimate Interior Detailer and used it on my dash, door panels, steering wheel, console, etc. Some of the overspray hit the gauge cluster and it permanently etched it. (Photo attached for reference). I'm very displeased with Meguiars because they specifically state on the bottle that it is safe for all interior surfaces, even "stereo/nav screens". I know Meguiars is pretty sub par but I needed something in a pinch because its been so hot here and I wanted something with UV protectant. I kind of want to remove it from every surface in the vehicle just to be safe.

Going forward, what is the recommended product for the interior that is proven safe and wont eat plastics in case of contact and provides UV protection? Should I use the same product on the door panels, knee guards, dash, console, etc., and then something separate for the seats which are a leather and alcantara mix? Is it better to use a multi stage system such as a cleaner, and then a protectant / conditioner?

Can someone please steer me in the right direction with a few product recommendations and how you guys recommend applying such products?
    I did not apply it directly to it, it was overspray from applying it to my dash. 91% Alcohol followed up by some tint safe glass cleaner has resolved the issue. Still wouldn't mind some input on what to use in the future (in reference to my questions in my quote above).

Post Thanks / Like

Next time just go over it with the same product. Like removes like. I have used it in the past before and never had an issue with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted out. I second the rinseless solution on a slightly damp microfiber. I use that on most interior surfaces.

13. Thanks derektm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First off:
    •I’ll begin by saying that I totally disagree
    with your assessment of Meguiar’s being
    pretty sub par. Quite the contrary, IMO.

Secondly:
    •The best way I’ve found to avoid overspray
    onto “sensitive areas” is to apply (spray)
    Meguiar’s Ultimate Interior Detailer, or any
    other interior cleaner, directly to the microfiber
    towel, not directly to the surface to be cleaned.

-Give that method a try.
    10/1 says you’ll be glad you did.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

15. Thanks derektm, Bobh59 thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, BillE, Bobh59 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast