autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car - Nubie detailer -what do I need?

Hi all.
    I'm from Central New York and took delivery of a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Limited-trim package last week. The car is silver metalic with "chrome" and black plastic trim and the wheels are silver and black alloy.

This is our first ever new car (always bought used before) and I want to keep this show room perfect. I've been lurking in the forums here and have assembled a "kit" for taking care of the car. I was hoping to get some feedback on what I've already bought and what else I might need.

We have an attached, unheated garage to keep the car in, and our area doesn't have any problem with water restrictions - just plenty of "problems" with heavy salt and sand applied to the roads in the winter (we get over 100 inches of snow a year.

This is what I have so far:
    32 oz bottle of ONR wash and wax (expecting to use to wash, use as a detailer and a clay lube)
    Turtle Wax Seal and Shine
    Black Magic Tire and Wet
    Sprayway Glass Cleaner
    Meguier's Rich Leather 3 in 1 for the heated seats and steering wheel
    Mother's Speed Clay 2
    4 new empty spray bottles
    2 buckets
    3 Rag Co Standard Blue Waffle Weave microfiber towels (for the glass and screens)
    1 Chemical Guy premium drying towel with silk edges
    A five finger microfiber noodle wash mitt for the tires
    A dozen microfiber towels for washing the interior and exterior that I'm comfortable with ( not asking for guidance on these, seems like a topic that provokes flames)
    Various small, soft brushes
    Magic Eraser
    ArmourAll 2.5 gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum

My Questions
    1. What else should I get? Should I reconsider anything I did get?
    2. What should I use to protect/condition the very matte, black interior, textured finishes? I don't want to use anything that will add any degree of gloss.
    3. How do I care for the exterior black and chrome trim? Do I treat it just like the paint -- ONR, clay, Seal and Shine?
    4 What do I need to care for the silver and black alloy wheels?
    5. Is there any special kind of wiper fluid I should use other than the standard blue stuff with antifreeze?
    6. Is smearing shaving cream on the inside of the windows to prevent fogging really a recommended thing?
    7 Is Rain-X or similar needed for the exterior windshield.
    8 Do I need a dedicated carpet cleaning product or is wiping it down with microfiber and ONR OK?

Am I relying on ONR too much?

I am new to this but eager to learn from all of you and to benefit from the impressive real world experiences of the forum membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car - Nubie detailer -what do I need?

Most of your products are over the counter products and they are good to start with. Some products like Black Magic and Turtle Wax are not the best quality. Invisible Glass would be a better choice for a glass cleaner. All purpose cleaners will work on carpets but you should really use a cleaner that is specifically formulated for fabrics. Go ahead and begin your journey into detailing. Eventually you will want to up your game and try different, higher quality products.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car! You’ve got a decent array of products to start with. Skip the clay unless you are thinking of buying a polisher. I would buy some Iron-X and decontaminate before applying the TWSS. Even new cars get iron contamination.

Read lots of threads here on the “best” products. There will be many different “best” products, but the ones that are discussed the most are usually good bets. The TWSS should be fine for the wheels. Skip the shaving cream. I’ve never heard of this tip and can’t see it helping. I’ve never found any product that really helps with fog and I’ve tried a few.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can swing it, take Mike,s class in NE Pennsylvania by Bethlehem in Oct. you will learn tons. There are so many great products available, do you homework n dive in. Collinite makes a number of products to protect he vehicle in winter(but do follow the application directions, thin,thin,thin
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UncleDavy
    The Black Magic is something my husband had stashed away and I wasn't certain about it, so thanks for confirming my suspicions.

6. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000 The shaving cream thing is all over YouTube, apparently, it is supposed to work on bathroom mirrors as well. I sounded to me like it would be a streaky mess on a windshield, so I'm glad to know that this is not in fact a "pro" tip. Also thanks for the Iron-X suggestion.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Markymapo I had not looked at Collinite products before your suggestion. Is Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax what you were referring to? Have you found this type of wax to be better than the "ceramic" wax and sealants for winter protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Most of your products are over the counter products and they are good to start with. Some products like Black Magic and Turtle Wax are not the best quality. Invisible Glass would be a better choice for a glass cleaner. All purpose cleaners will work on carpets but you should really use a cleaner that is specifically formulated for fabrics. Go ahead and begin your journey into detailing. Eventually you will want to up your game and try different, higher quality products.
    Have you read the reviews on Turtle Wax Seal and Shine? Turtle Wax has finally come up with a winner imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use that magic erasure on your new car unless you're sure you know what you're doing. Melamine is like a fine sandpaper, Everything on your new car has some type of protectant/sealant on it. Leave it new as long as you can.

Nothing on your list shows any inclination to polish. Do what you need to protect from the salt (I don't live in a salted area). When the weather is clear, I would try some Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Wipe it on at least once a month as you're drying after washing. It's easy and really good stuff if you're just maintaining. It maybe called a detailer. But, it holds up well for a month as a sealant. And like I said, super easy to apply. Which is big, since easy means it gets used.

Oh, and the ONR, you can use it to clean/wipe down the inside. It works well. I would get some Optimum Protectant to go with it. Optimum products work best when only used with other Optimum products - in my experience. Maybe some Optimum Power Clean when a little more umph is needed. You can use it diluted by itself or throw a little into the ONR. Three very good products.

I just noticed, you have the ONR with wax. I would get some regular ONR to go with it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't love the drying towel I'd recommend griots PFM. Basically if your drying car lightly and towel is not removing water in one wipe get these.... f'ing magical.

Agreed get some iron X or similar. Meguiars Ultimate wheel cleaner will do same if you want OTC.

For protection TW seal and shine is nice product for price. I personally prefer sealants over wax for protection. A coating would be better. Look into car pros Lite or Gyeon Cancoat for a easy to use starter coating.

I'd toss the black magic my self and recommend a tire coating with your winters. Car pros perl is another good product for Plastics, Rubbers and trim.

I'd recommend good tools.
    By some wheel woolies for rims,
    tuff shine tire brush for tires,
    good wash media to touch car ( I like one bucket with soap and 10 MF chenille mitts. Do a section top to bottom and then get new mitt)
    Good MF glass towels for windows (I like griots)
    A must for interiors is meguiars interior quick detailer

And most of all enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast