Hey there guys,

I am relatively new to detailing, I do it one Saturday a month by word of mouth.

I agreed to do an electrician’s company truck in exchange for $250 worth of electrical work on my house, plus he kicks in $150 cash.

We agreed to a wash, AIO, wax, and dressings. During the wash, I discovered the undercarriage was caked with mud. I pulled out wheat stalks, mud clumps, etc. I wasn’t upset, it’s a work truck, but admittedly I didn’t budget this into my estimate. It took three hours to complete the wash.

Can you guys help with a few simple questions that crossed my mind... Am I crazy for cleaning this truck this thoroughly for an AIO job? There was no way I was going to leave it there once I discovered it, but I simply wasn’t expecting this big of a job.

Should I chalk this up as a lesson learned and do a better job estimating and budgeting my work?

Have you ever estimated a job, received the vehicle, and then you billed them a little more for the unexpected condition it was in, and the extra labor needed?

The customer will be over the moon when he sees this thing, it turned out very nice, but I’m left wondering where the line is for doing TOO much on a job that was requested I do a ‘quick buff on her’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk