autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 845 over PNS?

If you want to combo the PNS and Collinite 845. I would do a base of 845 and maintain with the BSD which has the same kind of protection chemicals that PNS has. If you are after a more slickness on your PNS and don't want to degrade the hydrophobic caractics of it. 50/50 of BSD and Chemical Guys V07 spray sealant is a well liked combo to get you there. Otherwise I would go one or the other. But I see what you trying to do by chasing the perfect finish. The secret is actually in the finishing polish step. Take the extra time to use a great finishing polish and finishing pad to get that last of gloss out of your finish.

If you like the more carnuaba glow look on your finish. I would consider going with Collinite 915 wax. That's a very durable high content carnuaba wax. And if you live in a winter environment you could go with apply a layer of 845 or even better 476s in the fall. Or use a paint cleaner and apply PNS for winter protection.

As you see there are a lot of options available. But I like the idea of useing a test panel as your hood and mix the LSP products of choice. And go with PNS and BSD on the other parts. Even some of the SiO2 toppers and sealants will have a less hydrophobic and self cleaning ability from it. So a wax hybrid that is as good in these cararictics is hard to find. Maybe something like the Polish Angel Rapidwaxx or PA Cosmic Spritz that has carnuaba flakes in it could get you the PNS to have a carnuaba glow look over it. Or if you hybrid ceramic wax that's actually have carnuaba or other wax in it could be topped over the PNS. If you let the PNS cure for a day at least and then apply 845. I don't think that you would remove much if anything of the PNS. If you use an aggressive applicator and aggitate aggressivly it could effect the PNS. And they are not so far between the longevity from them. So when the 845 wears down you may not have more than a couple of months left from the PNS. Cause it's not so you ad their both longevity on their own together to what you get from them in combo with each other. As long as you don't are looking for the most hydrophobic caractics of your LSP. It's no wrong in trying the PNS and 845 combo and see how you like it. To get the hydrophobic caractics back you could start top with BSD until the next application from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Frankly, I just wanted to continue
    to use both since I have them and

I was also interested in the 3d look
    I read about.

Can't wait to get perfect finish going on
    my hood. I think I will continue to use
    colonite on the hood, I like the depth.
    •IMO:
    -“The 3D look” (depth?) =
    “residual oils”/short life-span

-3D products =
    3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

^^^use these for an actual 3D look

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5 mths during the winter is great. However, wouldn't a spray wax also be considering layering? Even BSD, i have read is much like a wax. I'm not totally sure what QD's are made of.
    The spray waxes/sealants I used, like most, really don't offer more than a week or two of protection on their own. QD's may have a little wax or sealant in them, but they offer little to no protection at all. BSD from what I heard is better than most, but still won't last anywhere near what a product like PNS or 845 offers. They are simply used a light boost of the shine and a means to eliminate water spots after drying. I would never count on them as my main protection for the car. They are the detailing version of sprinkles on your ice cream.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most everything Collinite 845 does well, Sonax PNS does better. More durable, better resistance to water, contaminates, long lasting shine. By using BSD over it once a month and washing once a week, 6 months is easy, even in winter.

7. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    If you want to combo the PNS and Collinite 845. I would do a base of 845 and maintain with the BSD which has the same kind of protection chemicals that PNS has. If you are after a more slickness on your PNS and don't want to degrade the hydrophobic caractics of it. 50/50 of BSD and Chemical Guys V07 spray sealant is a well liked combo to get you there. Otherwise I would go one or the other. But I see what you trying to do by chasing the perfect finish. The secret is actually in the finishing polish step. Take the extra time to use a great finishing polish and finishing pad to get that last of gloss out of your finish.

If you like the more carnuaba glow look on your finish. I would consider going with Collinite 915 wax. That's a very durable high content carnuaba wax. And if you live in a winter environment you could go with apply a layer of 845 or even better 476s in the fall. Or use a paint cleaner and apply PNS for winter protection.

As you see there are a lot of options available. But I like the idea of useing a test panel as your hood and mix the LSP products of choice. And go with PNS and BSD on the other parts. Even some of the SiO2 toppers and sealants will have a less hydrophobic and self cleaning ability from it. So a wax hybrid that is as good in these cararictics is hard to find. Maybe something like the Polish Angel Rapidwaxx or PA Cosmic Spritz that has carnuaba flakes in it could get you the PNS to have a carnuaba glow look over it. Or if you hybrid ceramic wax that's actually have carnuaba or other wax in it could be topped over the PNS. If you let the PNS cure for a day at least and then apply 845. I don't think that you would remove much if anything of the PNS. If you use an aggressive applicator and aggitate aggressivly it could effect the PNS. And they are not so far between the longevity from them. So when the 845 wears down you may not have more than a couple of months left from the PNS. Cause it's not so you ad their both longevity on their own together to what you get from them in combo with each other. As long as you don't are looking for the most hydrophobic caractics of your LSP. It's no wrong in trying the PNS and 845 combo and see how you like it. To get the hydrophobic caractics back you could start top with BSD until the next application from scratch.
    I should of made it more clear. I have sonax perfect finished ordered. I'm going to start on my hood.

I read about the 50/50 mix with BSD and V07.

Yeah the options are endless. I might just do 2 test spots on my trunk to see if i prefer one over the other. Right now i like both, PNS slightly more. PNS is easy to apply and i don't have to worry about the trim.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO:
    -“The 3D look” (depth?) =
    “residual oils”/short life-span

-3D products =
    3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

^^^use these for an actual 3D look

Bob
    lol don't quit your day job dude.

If 3D look means a short life span i guess its not for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I've been watching many sealant & wax chemical torture tests carried out by Apex Detailing on YT, and when he breaks out the solvents to abuse the contestants, they usually break down pretty quickly. So, I am left wondering when we are trying to layer a wax on top of a sealant, particularly a wax loaded with heavy solvents, how much of the sealant is being removed/dissolved while trying to apply the wax?
    Layering products IME is a fantasy and likely creates poorer results than using individual products alone. Product #1 is degraded by whatever is in product #2 that makes it useable. Product #2 isn’t being applied to clean paint so likely it has a diminished lifespan.

Honestly if you ever plan on washing your car you’d be hard pressed to find anything better than Sonax BSD as an LSP by itself. Simply use it as a drying aid every other wash or so and that’s it. Cheap and easy.

Most of these things seems to degrade comparably after an exposure to significant road film, water, and dirt on lower panels anyway - so for me it’s about the easiest and quickest thing to apply.

12. Likes PaulMys, acuRAS82 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Layering products IME is a fantasy and likely creates poorer results than using individual products alone. Product #1 is degraded by whatever is in product #2 that makes it useable. Product #2 isn’t being applied to clean paint so likely it has a diminished lifespan.

Honestly if you ever plan on washing your car you’d be hard pressed to find anything better than Sonax BSD as an LSP by itself. Simply use it as a drying aid every other wash or so and that’s it. Cheap and easy.

Most of these things seems to degrade comparably after an exposure to significant road film, water, and dirt on lower panels anyway - so for me it’s about the easiest and quickest thing to apply.
    Yeah, i will be using PNS and BSD. Easy products to use and have a great rep for protection it seems, ~ 6mths

I have to look up using it has a drying aid, i assume after using a drying towel you just spray the water spots and buff off...

This detailing business is addicting!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPPM View Post
    Most everything Collinite 845 does well, Sonax PNS does better. More durable, better resistance to water, contaminates, long lasting shine. By using BSD over it once a month and washing once a week, 6 months is easy, even in winter.
    So do you prefer the PNS?

Do you find 845 more wax like and deep so to speak?

Honestly, i only applied PNS a few days before i came back to work - haven't seen the car since - but i kinda thought my hood had more depth but that could just be confirmation bias.

Be back home in 4 days!

Post Thanks / Like

So do you prefer the PNS?

Do you find 845 more wax like and deep so to speak?

Honestly, i only applied PNS a few days before i came back to work - haven't seen the car since - but i kinda thought my hood had more depth but that could just be confirmation bias.

Be back home in 4 days!
    Collinite is more glassy, PNS/BSD is more silky looking.
    I use both quite a bit.

Setec isn't joking about BSD being very stout by itself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast