autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do for this scratch on new truck??

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If you haven't wet sanded before, don't do it. Use the OEM touch up paint and be patient. By that I mean, don't try to fill the scratch in one application. Do multiple coats waiting days between coats. The paint will shrink and that's the reason to wait before the next coat.

Do a practice run by filling and then wiping it off with alcohol/paint thinner. You will get the hang of how much paint to use and the stroke.
    I agree with Rsurfer on best method and this will take time and patience. I have done this many times on my older Camry with the same type of OEM paint. Do not use that brush from the device, it puts down too much product. Go to your local arts/craft store and pickup some tiny art brushes perhaps 5/0 I think is all you need. I would take the paint stick from the tube and place a drop in a water bottle cap (easy to clean or pitch). I then took the artist brush and applied to the scratch in very thin coats. That paint dries quickly but you might try once in the morning and then later in the day. That will slowly build up the color in the scratch until you are about to the top. Then apply the clear coat from the tube in one or two touches. If a bit high you can then either hand polish or use 3000-grit automotive sandpaper IF YOU are going to compound/polish the section. Done with patience you will then have it ready for almost a perfect job when viewing it at the 3-foot rule. You as the owner will always know where they are but most will never see or appreciate your efforts to do this!

Good luck, it is only a scratch, one of many that will come as you enjoy that Tundra.

Post Thanks / Like

I use sewing needles to carefully add in my OEM paint to small scratches like that. Very minute amounts and several over 2-3 days.

Wetsand, again carefully, to smooth it all down then compound and polish. I wait about a month to then use an LSP.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So just need wash the area for prep before I start slowly added layers of paint? No need use anything else right.. just want make sure good bond of paint in the scratch

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the Dr. Colorchip and save some frustration.
    If you do use the touchup pen use the brush to put a blob on a piece of plastic and use a 0 artist paint brush to fill.

I am glad I bought my Dr Colorchip kit

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what kind of touch up paint, I would always use something like 70% Isopropyl Alcohol fully remove any possible waxes-sealants-etc to insure a good paint bond.

Post Thanks / Like

That is very true.
    I use Kleenstrip prep-all for those duties.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mineral spirits but, yes, a thorough clean out first!

Post Thanks / Like

New paint is wayyyy too thin to risk wet sanding when stuff like Langka and Dr Colorchip exist. There is even a youtube on how to make your own Langka.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been doing professional touch up for 20 years. From the picture you posted it’s a clear coat scratch that has not penetrated the base coat. A simple test is to swipe the scratch with a solvent like a tar remover or sap remover. If the scratch disappears before the solvent evaporates. All you need is to paint a small thin bead of clear coat. I like to use 2k clear because it is a durable repair. Leveling it down requires some knowledge and skill not to remove to much surrounding clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could find someone in my area fix it, when to body shop and he said they would have to take whole door off and paint it, and told me it wouldn’t be worth it and just get touch up paint and do it like you guy said, but I never done this before

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast