autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do for this scratch on new truck??

I got a deep scratch about 1.5” on my new tundra, help on what & how to make it better... What do for this scratch on new truck??.. I attached pic of scratch and I got touch up paint. It’s on the middle of door, and truck is only 3 months old..

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do for this scratch on new truck??

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't wet sanded before, don't do it. Use the OEM touch up paint and be patient. By that I mean, don't try to fill the scratch in one application. Do multiple coats waiting days between coats. The paint will shrink and that's the reason to wait before the next coat.

Do a practice run by filling and then wiping it off with alcohol/paint thinner. You will get the hang of how much paint to use and the stroke.

Post Thanks / Like

Go get some dr colorchip and toss out the OEM stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll concur about the Dr Colorchip as being the best "amateur" bet. Now I'm sure pros who do this sort of thing would maybe disagree, but how many of us are pros and can get perfect results with factory-type touch up paints? I can't and I've tried and tried if not many years, for literal decades. Just don't have it in me I guess.

The problem with factory-duplicolor type touch up paints is they're going to take forever and a day to dry. And then what?

On vertical panels such as doors-fenders-rear quarters-pillars and because they dry so slow, they have a tendency to sag. You have to use such small amounts, maybe apply with a toothpick. And fill and fill, but now comes even a harder part.....how do you level?

Some will say wet sand, or you can try a product like Langka Blob Remover, which I have in the past with fairly poor results.

And as for wet sanding. Yep, tried that too a few years back on my beater Kia Spectra, and went right through the clear coat on a couple places on the hood.

Dr. Colorchip while I'll admit is not going to be 100% perfect, and although is not ideally claimed to be a scratch-fix product but rather a road rash and rock chip product can and will work for such minor scratches pretty good too.

One beauty with Dr. C-Chip, is that if you don't get desired results the first time out due to not getting the hang of a bit of a learning curve, you can remove a previous attempt completely without damage to the factory paint finish.

This paint dries in just a few mere minutes, like 5-10 or so, and then when it is set-dry enough, you can begin to level, smooth, and remove excess paint outside of the damage area, and in the damage area to level the paint.

With factory touch up, you'll wait days, even weeks it seems, the paint is too soft still, and often the finished end results look absolutely horrible.

While Dr. C-Chip is not an inexpensive product, and has gotten a bit more expensive to buy at current day, it's still worth the expense IMO.

The simple Road Rash Kit, with 1/2oz Paint, and 2oz of Sealact Solution should hold you for a good while, in the event you possibly get future rock chips on the front, or hood, etc.

In fact right now, they have their 4th of July Sale, good till 7-7 by entering the word FREEDOM in the coupon area when you check out for 15% off.

(I myself just ordered a small touch up kit for my Father's VW Touareg yesterday, as he has a couple chips, and just a few days ago, side swiped the garage door and put a light scrape in his front fender lip. Not bad thankfully, I got most the damage out with some Wolfgang Uber Compound and an Applicator, and will use the Dr C-Chip to fill a couple of the deeper sleeks. )

7. Likes TTQ B4U, spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the pictures a simple compound and polish should fix that. No need for wet sanding or Dr. Colorchip. Just my opinion. I have compound and polished worse scratch marks
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to add, after using Dr. Colorchip, and getting the desired end results, do not wax or seal that area for a good week to let the paint fully dry and cure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Based on the pictures a simple compound and polish should fix that. No need for wet sanding or Dr. Colorchip. Just my opinion. I have compound and polished worse scratch marks
    Yes, it is very possible that you might be correct. I'd certainly be trying that first and see where that gets me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Unless that's paint transfer (white mark) the dark base coat is gone. No amount of compound and polish will bring it back.

To the OP, is you can feel the scratch with your finer nail you will need paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I feel the scratch. It’s deep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast