autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Car attracts dust more now

Hi guys. I’m new to detailing and am learning a ton here. Thanks

I DA compounded then polished and then waxed my car with Maguires ultimate wax. I followed it up with Bead Maker. Love the shine!!! But now and as soon as I hit a dirt road the road dust just instantly covers the car.

Is there a better topper for this situation or is this just a side affect of a polished car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car attracts dust more now

BeadMaker can attract dust for sure, as can carnauba products. For your situation, coatings or SiO2 sprays may repel better... but on a dusty road you will always get some dust. Some sealants are decent at not attracting dust as well, but BeadMaker doesn’t seem to be one of them from my experience.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    BeadMaker can attract dust for sure, as can carnauba products. For your situation, coatings or SiO2 sprays may repel better... but on a dusty road you will always get some dust. Some sealants are decent at not attracting dust as well, but BeadMaker doesn’t seem to be one of them from my experience.
    Hmmm I could try that. Have you or anyone tried putting a Sio2 on top of Bead Maker?

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I think you had the order of operations in reverse...

BM is qualified as a sealant:
    Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant is simple to use spray on, wipe off paint sealant

Directions:
    Wash your vehicle before applying Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant. Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant can be applied to a wet or dry surface, but overall performance and results will be improved if applied to dry paint. Simply spray Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant onto your paint, then wipe it off with a clean, dry microfiber towel. Once the entirety of the Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant is wiped off of your vehicle, give the product 8-10 hours to full cure.
    Because the product is a sealant & is calling for a 8=10 hour cure time, others can correct me, but my order would have been to apply BM first.. allow the proper cure time and do not get the vehicle wet, even morning dew for the cure time.

Then, if you wanted to top... You could have done a second coat of BM, or a QD (hybrid polymer/carrinuba) such as Pinnacle Chrystal Mist.

Waxing first, is not allowing BM to bond with the paint. Secondly carrinuba will attract dust as it's a bit sticky... That's a given of physics.

Hmmm I could try that. Have you or anyone tried putting a Sio2 on top of Bead Maker?
    Without this post turning into the size of "War & Peace" my suggestion is to go to the how-to's section and start going through Mike Phillips 9 part video series "How to Detail a vehicle".

In short, NO. You would probably have to repolish the vehicle, do a wipe down with IPA mix or CarPro Erasure and then apply a ceramic coating. NOTHING can come between the coating and the paint. And again there is a 24-48 hour cure time for coatings.

hope all this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t, most do opposite as SiO2’s prefer cleaner paint than polymer’d paint to sit on... but it should only impact longevity. But... some SiO2 sprays like BF are said to do fairly well on top of sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
    But now and as soon as I hit a dirt road the road dust just instantly covers the car.

Is there a better topper for this situation or is this just a side affect of a polished car.

Keep in mind that it is pollen season right now in U.S. The pollen is especially heavy in my area this year as we have had quite a bit of rain. Your chosen products are fine. Just give it some time and don’t worry about it. There is no product solution that solves the issue of pollen landing on your car.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sabbath View Post
    I DA compounded then polished
    and then waxed my car with
    Maguires ultimate wax.

I followed it up with Bead Maker.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Sadly I think you had the order
    of operations in reverse...

BM is qualified as a sealant:
    Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax is also
    qualified as a Sealant.

It shouldn’t make any difference in
    the order that these two Sealants
    are initially applied, IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Keep in mind that it is pollen season right now in U.S. The pollen is especially heavy in my area this year as we have had quite a bit of rain. Your chosen products are fine. Just give it some time and don’t worry about it. There is no product solution that solves the issue of pollen landing on your car.
    Al, OP is complaining about dust from a dirt road and not pollen.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bead Maker should be renamed to Static Maker. I also found it to make the paint more static and dust attracting than any other drying aid I've used until now.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Al, OP is complaining about dust from a dirt road and not pollen.
    True, I guess I overlooked the dirt road statement.

I would also say that there is no LSP or spray-on topper silver bullets that are going to solve this issue if you’re driving on dirt roads.

Best advice is to stick to synthetic products and stay away from products that contain natural waxes.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

13. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast