autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help and guidance - New to detailing

Ok, so I am trying to get more knowledge so I can do better at keeping my vehicles clean and well maintained. I have always washed and waxed my cars, waxing every couple months or whenever I would notice the paint not beading up like it use to. I've used MF towels for a long time but never got into the fine details of how to BEST care for my vehicles.

I recently traded in my truck and bought a 2019 Ram 1500. After the test drive and I decided I wanted the truck they dropped it off at their other lot for inspection. Little did I know they were going to give it a 'full detail and make it show room ready' while it was at the other lot being inspected. I was going to let them know I didn't want a detail.

Either this weekend or the next opportunity I have I plan to correct the swirls that were put in and want to coat it. Overall I want to step up my detailing game.

It IS a truck and is used as such often. We have a small farm so I haul stuff frequently, it will see mud and dirt. I do not have a garage. So managing expectations, I want to keep it in as good of condition as I can knowing that it will not be perfect condition.

Up to this point I normally use Meguiar's products, most recently their 'Ultimate' line. I haven't found a soap I REALLY like, so I normally get something different every time I need some. I'd like to hone in on good products to keep on the shelf.

My dad has and loves the Adams kit with their 'Swirl Killer'. If needed I usually run over to his house and borrow his. He's all in on the polishes and compounds so unless I bring my own pads he doesn't want me using another brand compound or polish with his pads. So normally I just use his kit and give him money to replace what was used. I'd like to get my own at some point, possibly the porter cable.

So that's what I've used, and I know that what products to use is a highly opinionated subject.

For the use my truck will see, are there any products I should get/try? Is Meguiar's ultimate line fine to use? Something better? Good go-to soaps? I know once I coat it most of these wouldn't be used but I do have other vehicles that probably will not get coated. And then for keeping a clean interior, I usually use a cleaning wipe. Any advice there?

As for the ceramic coating, living in NC right now temps are in mid 80's to 90's during the day and without a garage I think I've settled on Cquarts classic. I'm going to get the 50mL to hopefully get 2 coats on the hood and roof and 1 coat everywhere else. If I have enough left I'll do the second coat on more panels. I plan to top with Gliss. I do have ample shade both in morning and afternoon so I was thinking I'd do the paint correction, wash, wipedown on one day and the next day do another wipedown to remove any dust and then coat in the morning when its still in the 70's.

So here's my plan:
    Day 1:
    Wash - Was thinking of using dawn + car soap to remove any oils/residue on the paint
    Rinse
    IronX
    Rinse
    Claybar
    Rinse
    Dry and wipedown with IPA (what ratio should I go here, possibly test an area with a higher ratio first and go from there?) Want to make sure to remove anything that dealership may have put on it

Day 2:
    Wipedown again
    Coat with cquartz classic x 2
    Coat with cquartz gliss

The truck is a dark blue with metallic flake, Ram calls it Patriot Blue
    Need some help and guidance - New to detailing-20190523_164000-jpg

Sorry for such a long first post! I've lurked the forums for a while and have already gained a lot of knowledge. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks in advance!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help and guidance - New to detailing

Too much to ask in a single post?

Let me elaborate on what I'm wanting to gain from the ceramic coating. I know it's not going to make my truck impervious to scratches or damage. But I want to make the maintenance as easy and quick as possible so I can keep up with it a bit easier.

As for asking for products to look into, I have read about a lot of products that people on this forum have used and like. I'm just asking for a narrowed down list of a handful of car care/maintenance products that you would use if you were asked to thin out your arsenal to what could fit in a backpack or bucket that you would be happy with the results. There are a lot of products out there, and a lot of good products at that from what I gather. Some may be more marketing than performance, some are essentially the same but a different label for a different use. I'm trying to discern and avoid those types from the outset if possible.

Again, thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jcalton View Post

As for the ceramic coating, living in NC right now temps are in mid 80's to 90's during the day and without a garage I think I've settled on Cquarts classic. I'm going to get the 50mL to hopefully get 2 coats on the hood and roof and 1 coat everywhere else. If I have enough left I'll do the second coat on more panels. I plan to top with Gliss. I do have ample shade both in morning and afternoon so I was thinking I'd do the paint correction, wash, wipedown on one day and the next day do another wipedown to remove any dust and then coat in the morning when its still in the 70's.

So here's my plan:
    Day 1:
    Wash - Was thinking of using dawn + car soap to remove any oils/residue on the paint
    Rinse
    IronX
    Rinse
    Claybar
    Rinse
    Dry and wipedown with IPA (what ratio should I go here, possibly test an area with a higher ratio first and go from there?) Want to make sure to remove anything that dealership may have put on it

Day 2:
    Wipedown again
    Coat with cquartz classic x 2
    Coat with cquartz gliss
    Cquartz is a good coating choice. You could definitely do 2 coats on the entire truck with a 50ml bottle. You will probably have some left over. Possibly enough to coat the faces of the wheels.

I would at a minimum recommend a polishing step. You will have to do a test spot and see whether you need to do more or if you are happy with what the test spot reveals. I am not familiar in using the Adams polishes but those would be fine. Just be sure to do a prep wipe or two prior to applying the coating.

With regards to your plan, no need to use dawn. It won't really buy you anything. Stick with car soap. Essentially wash, chemical decon, mechanical decon, dry, polish, prep wipe, coat.

Follow the directions for cquartz and you will be just fine. A second coat can be applied 45 min to 1 hour after the first. Wait a minimum of 4 hours prior to applying gliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcalton View Post
    Too much to ask in a single post?

Let me elaborate on what I'm wanting to gain from the ceramic coating. I know it's not going to make my truck impervious to scratches or damage. But I want to make the maintenance as easy and quick as possible so I can keep up with it a bit easier.

As for asking for products to look into, I have read about a lot of products that people on this forum have used and like. I'm just asking for a narrowed down list of a handful of car care/maintenance products that you would use if you were asked to thin out your arsenal to what could fit in a backpack or bucket that you would be happy with the results. There are a lot of products out there, and a lot of good products at that from what I gather. Some may be more marketing than performance, some are essentially the same but a different label for a different use. I'm trying to discern and avoid those types from the outset if possible.

Again, thanks in advance!

Are you looking for maintenance products for cquartz? If you are I would recommend you pick up the following CarPro Reset, CarPro Elixir and CarPro Ech20. Those will be all you need to maintain the coating.

4. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey The Guz! Thanks for the reply. So I mentioned it in the paragraph but forgot to include it in the Day 1 & Day 2 steps. I do intend to do any paint correction/polish that is needed to remove the swirls added by the dealer. I am hopeful a polish will do the job because there aren't many and they are very light.

As for the products, I'm speaking in a more general...non ceramic coated sense. Products that you would use to detail a friends car that hasn't been coated. I am on the fence about coating my other vehicles and if I do it will most likely be later in the year when temperatures go down. So looking for suggestions on good products, a handful of products that you would throw in a bucket to rely on to detail a car that hasn't been coated. Also interested in good products for the exterior AND interior. I see a lot of posts about products for the exterior of cars, but are there any good products to clean/protect the interior as well?

Also, if there is a 'line' of products that work well from start to finish. Example being, above I mentioned I have been using the Meguiar's Ultimate line of products. If those are good, if there are better products that have better results/longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote against Dawn. Stick with products made for car care. You can’t go wrong with Meguires products. Meguires has something to work everywhere on your vehicle, except a coating. Once you get used to Meguires products you might want to look around to try to find something you like better, but to start with you can’t go wrong with Meguires.

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a DA to polish?

I would buy Essence Extreme Gloss if using CQuartz as the final polish before coating.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Another vote against Dawn. Stick with products made for car care. You can’t go wrong with Meguires products. Meguires has something to work everywhere on your vehicle, except a coating. Once you get used to Meguires products you might want to look around to try to find something you like better, but to start with you can’t go wrong with Meguires.
    I've always used Meguiar's and I do like it, but I am limited in exposure to other products, especially products you can't find on the shelf at the local auto parts store.

The only reason I was thinking of Dawn was to make sure all oil's and anything the dealership may have applied would be removed from the paint prior to coating. In absence of using that, will the rest of the steps, including the IPA, remove anything added previously?
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Are you using a DA to polish?

I would buy Essence Extreme Gloss if using CQuartz as the final polish before coating.
    I will be using a DA, specifically the Adam's Long Throw Swirl Killer. That's the model my Dad has, I will swing by and borrow it from him because I do not have one myself right now. I have looked at Essense, what's the benefit of using it over another polish? I think I read that it acts as a primer for cquartz so you don't have to do a final wipedown before applying cquartz?

Post Thanks / Like

It is a primer with a supposed year of protection by itself minus the hydrophobic properties of the coating. That is a good thing for a last step polish/primer.

You could just get the 8 ounce bottle.

Carpro says they have not noticed any difference without an Eraser wipe but just to be sure I think most do a wipedown.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get some and test it. I dont think it'll take much to get to a pretty good finish.

Just checked the weather, when I get my truck back I'm in for a solid 4-5 days of rain so coating will be put off until next weekend at the earliest.

Any suggestions on good interior cleaners that can put a dent in the mess 5 kids can make in a minivan?

Post Thanks / Like

I would just add that you may want to look into the GG 6” rather than a Porter Cable when you’re ready for your own DA. And if you like Meguiars and don’t have a favorite car wash yet, go with a gallon of Meg’s Hyper Wash. I don’t have it yet but everyone loves it. You can try a coating soap like Reset down the road if you want.

Don’t rush, leave enough time for polishing/decon and remember to enjoy the experience... I was always rushed and stressed during my early polishing experiences. Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast