autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Sonax Nano Polish redundant?

I was scanning over the "what's new" area of the Autogeek store and I stumbled across the new Sonax Profiline Nano Polish 3/6. After reading the description, I'm not sure where it fits in the Sonax line or if it offers anything different from their existing line.

Right now Sonax offers two finishing polishes with the Perfect Finish 4/6 and the Profiline Polish 4/6. I understand the difference between those and it makes sense. They also offer Cut and Finish which is a 5/5 on their scale and Cutmax which is a X/X on their scale.

According to the product description, this new Nano polish is a medium polish with a cut rating of 3 on a 6 point scale where 6 is the highest and 1 is the lowest. If this product is a medium polish with a cut of 3, why does their finishing polish have a cut of 4 and their two compound offerings have a cut rating of 5 and 6? They are saying their medium polish has less cut than their finishing polishes. Also, I used Profiline 4/6 this weekend on our Toyota and while it produced a great shine, I found the cut barely usable for event light polishing work on soft paint. If this new polish

That confusion leads to my next question of where it fits in their lineup. If you already have finishing polishes, Cut and Finish which sits in the middle, and CutMax which handles the compounding duty, where does the new Nano Polish go in the lineup?

Am I missing something
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Sonax Nano Polish redundant?

I'm also confused by their line up.

From what I gather Cutmax and Perfect Finish are the only two anyone would need.

The problem for me is that there is no polish for a situation where you need to clean up extremely light towel marks. There is no fine polish, just a medium cut that finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Expect less cut than Perfect Finish and EX 04-06. See it like a fine finishing polish. I think that this is from a line before the Cutmax and the Cut & Finish and EX 04-06. Think it was their first attempt to get a DA polish. But with not the results they wanted when they had Perfect Finish already. This 03-06 and 05-04 got a middle place between PF and the Cutmax range if that makes sense. Also think that one of them is a polish that are rebranded from one of their OTC polishes. So it's actually older than the Cutmax range if we could call it that. I don't think that they expected that they hit the homerun with the Cutmax range which they did.

So yes if you have the Sonax EX04-06 this would be redundant to get IMO. If going with a medium cut polish get the Cut and Finish if you go with Sonax. If you would need like a less aggressive finishing polish than the EX 04-06 this could be an option to try out. But too small of a difference to have both. Also think it's higher quality of the abrasives in the Cutmax range as it's developed later than the Nano Polish range.

4. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The problem for me is that there is no polish for a situation where you need to clean up extremely light towel marks. There is no fine polish, just a medium cut that finishes.
    I have the EX 04/06 which is essentially the DA version of Perfect Finish. After using EX 04/06 this weekend on very soft Toyota paint, I would argue EX 04/06 is a finishing polish and no where near a medium polish. I was trying to do exactly what you describe, and it barely did the job. It produced great gloss, but the cut was less than any other finishing polish I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Expect less cut than Perfect Finish and EX 04-06. See it like a fine finishing polish.
    I agree with you after looking at the numbering scale on the bottle, but the product information posted here calls it a medium polish. I have a feeling it is nothing like a medium cut polish.

I think that this is from a line before the Cutmax and the Cut & Finish and EX 04-06. Think it was their first attempt to get a DA polish. But with not the results they wanted when they had Perfect Finish already. This 03-06 and 05-04 got a middle place between PF and the Cutmax range if that makes sense. Also think that one of them is a polish that are rebranded from one of their OTC polishes. So it's actually older than the Cutmax range if we could call it that. I don't think that they expected that they hit the homerun with the Cutmax range which they did.
    Interesting since this is being marketed as a "new" product. Has it been on sale in Europe for a while and is just now reaching the US? It sounds like they need to consolidate their polishing products.

So yes if you have the Sonax EX04-06 this would be redundant to get IMO. If going with a medium cut polish get the Cut and Finish if you go with Sonax. If you would need like a less aggressive finishing polish than the EX 04-06 this could be an option to try out. But too small of a difference to have both. Also think it's higher quality of the abrasives in the Cutmax range as it's developed later than the Nano Polish range.
    After having a good trial with EX 04/06 recently, I can't imagine a less aggressive polish being of much use. My understanding of the Sonax line matches yours, so I'm glad I wasn't missing some obvious detail.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog