autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about cleaning carpet

Ive done some searching and found a few posts that were informative but I still need a little more.

Basically, I want to know if there is such a method to clean carpeting to the equivalent of extraction without using an extractor. I detail part time on the side as a hobby in the summer so buying a $600-$1000 extractor is just out of the question for me...on the other hand, being able to restore carpets to a like-new condition is a very important part of detailing an auto. Not to mention, I dont want to pass up the business.

From the posts I have read, I gathered that with some lexol or equivalent, a carpet brush and a good shop vac, good results can be had. But can you REALLY get them that clean without an extractor? If so, can someone point me to a step by step guide or pass along some pointers? Perhaps I missed a good post in my searches?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about cleaning carpet

I don't think you'll find anything that will do the same job as an extractor, but you can do a really good job without one. I use the Bissell Little Green Machine w/Heat which can be found for less than $100.00. It takes longer and, like I said, I doubt you can do everything you could with an extractor but for the weekend warrior that can't justify the expense, it's a very good alternative.

Also, if you have a PC, check out the carpet brushes for it for really scrubbing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    I don't think you'll find anything that will do the same job as an extractor, but you can do a really good job without one. I use the Bissell Little Green Machine w/Heat which can be found for less than $100.00. It takes longer and, like I said, I doubt you can do everything you could with an extractor but for the weekend warrior that can't justify the expense, it's a very good alternative.

Also, if you have a PC, check out the carpet brushes for it for really scrubbing.
    Ok, so it is possible to get darn good results without a pro extractor? I have access to a Hoover upright steamvac that does a decent job on house carpets. I can just use that combined with some good carpet brushes, the right product and a little time and put out some nice work huh?

I guess I just never seen anyone on here talk much about using a home carpet extractor for cleaning automotive carpeting.

Thanks Mak!

Post Thanks / Like

The Little Green Machine by Bissell is about the size of a breadbox and is easy to use on cars and such, not sure how easy an upright would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Look for Folex at Target or Lowe's. It's a great carpet cleaner that doesn't foam up. Spray on the carpets and brush by hand or with a PC. Next you can extract with a Little Green machine or use a wet/dry shop vac to remove the cleaner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gentlemen!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Little Green Machine by Bissell is about the size of a breadbox and is easy to use on cars and such, not sure how easy an upright would be.

Mak, what is the cleaning performance like with one of those bissells? Some of those smaller machines can leave alot to be desired in an extractor.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great... Here's a link to a show-n-shine where the used the LGM (Little Green Machine) with very good results.

Mercedes S430 full massage.. black paint and with a twist! (long story, lots of pics)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great... Here's a link to a show-n-shine where the used the LGM (Little Green Machine) with very good results.

Mercedes S430 full massage.. black paint and with a twist! (long story, lots of pics)
    Very nice! Im sold! Thanks for the link. Oh and what I meant by using an upright was, the upholstery attachment. I tried it oh my old truck a while back and it didnt seem to do a good job. I think alot had to do with the wrong product and procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to help, hope it works out well for you and don't forget, TAKE PICS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast