autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Am I OCD or this is acceptable for PPF results?

Hi there! I had Suntek PPF installed last weekend by a mobile installer guy who was recommended to me by a friend. I had full nose cover, door edges, door handle holes, rear bumper luggage lip and tint on a 19 black infiniti Q70.

The full nose looks pretty good except some areas that I pointed to installer and he said they will go away during the one week of cure time. however there are some random dust trapped and some bubles that I don't think that will go away by itself. He also told me to call him if I spot things that need fixing.

I guess my question is, specifically on a black car (and this is my first black car), how much tolerance of error is acceptable on dust and imperfections? I think I will call him for bubbles to be fixed but not sure that we should mess around dust stuff that it could make it worst than what it is? any little imperfection is visible on this black color, I am amazed how none forgiving none metallic black is, I am sure if this was a white or silver car I wouldn't even notice these.

On the picture 5 and 10 some ghosting is visible that seems something was going on with the film itself maybe?

Picture 8 is left side fender and most what you see is the road dust on the outside and not under the film, only couple are under.

Attachment 66596
    Attachment 66597
    Attachment 66598
    Attachment 66599
    Attachment 66600
    Attachment 66601
    Attachment 66602
    Attachment 66603
    Attachment 66604
    Attachment 66605
    Attachment 66606
    Attachment 66607

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I OCD or this is acceptable for PPF results?

Not good results or QC on his part. He should have removed those bubbles. They won't go away on their own.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Not good results or QC on his part. He should have removed those bubbles. They won't go away on their own.
    I will contact him for bubbles, so he can fix them, however I am not sure if anything can be done for the dust.

I guess my question is how much dust is acceptable, because unless you are under a super isolated chamber, dust is everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kamisn View Post
    I will contact him for bubbles, so he can fix them, however I am not sure if anything can be done for the dust.

I guess my question is how much dust is acceptable, because unless you are under a super isolated chamber, dust is everywhere.
    How long has it been since the install? Bubbles can be removed if it's still wet. All he has to do is use an ultra fine needle and syringe and vacuum them out. Should have done that prior to finishing the panel. Dust is easy enough to combat upon install too. Just spray more solution and wash it away prior to sealing it down to the surface.

Not meaning to knock the installer but I've worked on many with my installer who is a true artist and the above are more rookie errors. We do them in my garage so no, not a clean room.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

It was installed two days ago. and I did not pay cheap. I am very disappointed and worried any manipulation of the films cause more problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like poor install. Hopefully he didn't mess up your paint with the blade cutting edges like that. I see many spots with dust trapped under the film that he should have addressed during installation. Now it has to be done again, hopefully by someone who knows what he's doing.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I would say give the installer a chance to correct his work, and hear any feedback he might have about the install. Conditions vary, people have bad days, yada, yada. Also, we here are a particular bunch who demand near perfection, and we can be harsh in judging other's work.
    I just polished by brother-in-law's F150 while it was raining pollen, mostly overcast with intermittent rain sprinkling and it made the detail very, very difficult. I wasn't proud when he took the keys. So, give this guy at least a chance to explain, that's all I'm saying.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

8. Likes Bruno Soares, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I would say give the installer a chance to correct his work, and hear any feedback he might have about the install. Conditions vary, people have bad days, yada, yada. Also, we here are a particular bunch who demand near perfection, and we can be harsh in judging other's work.
    I just polished by brother-in-law's F150 while it was raining pollen, mostly overcast with intermittent rain sprinkling and it made the detail very, very difficult. I wasn't proud when he took the keys. So, give this guy at least a chance to explain, that's all I'm saying.
    I agree, I spoke to him and he is willing to come and replace the bumper one with new one as majority of the issues are on the bumper.

I just wanted to see how common is the dust issue. He also didn't use blade on the car as pre cut film was used. Also he said if I wasn't happy, he will give my money back. I will see this Friday how it will go.

10. Likes Bruno Soares, TTQ B4U, irvsmith liked this post