autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Last Step Finish for a "Non-Detailer"?

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. My recent college graduate son, who lives 5-hours away from me, just purchased his first nice vehicle, a new Hyundai Tucson with cobalt blue paint. I assisted him at the car dealer and the paint is in great shape and is very sharp. My son is not into detailing (like his father) but is willing to follow some basic care steps. This car will not be hand washed very often. Most washes will take place in a touch free car wash. I have, at least, trained him to never take his vehicle to any "soft touch" car wash.

He will, however, be willing to put some paint protection on the vehicle from time to time. Since he isn't a detailer, I want the process to be goof proof and and easy as possible. The product must also be resistant to being stripped away by the spray car wash. I was thinking about buying him one of the newer spray-on-wipe-off products such as

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray or
    McKee's 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant.

I have a large inventory of stuff that I need to use up so I've never used either, but the McKee's appeals to me because of it's 6-month advertised life.

So, what do you guys think? What would be the best product to use in this case? One of the two I mentioned or something else altogether? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steve

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which Last Step Finish for a "Non-Detailer"?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. My recent college graduate son, who lives 5-hours away from me, just purchased his first nice vehicle, a new Hyundai Tucson with cobalt blue paint. I assisted him at the car dealer and the paint is in great shape and is very sharp. My son is not into detailing (like his father) but is willing to follow some basic care steps. This car will not be hand washed very often. Most washes will take place in a touch free car wash. I have, at least, trained him to never take his vehicle to any "soft touch" car wash.

He will, however, be willing to put some paint protection on the vehicle from time to time. Since he isn't a detailer, I want the process to be goof proof and and easy as possible. The product must also be resistant to being stripped away by the spray car wash. I was thinking about buying him one of the newer spray-on-wipe-off products such as

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Silica Spray or
    McKee's 37 10 Minute Paint Sealant.

I have a large inventory of stuff that I need to use up so I've never used either, but the McKee's appeals to me because of it's 6-month advertised life.

So, what do you guys think? What would be the best product to use in this case? One of the two I mentioned or something else altogether? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steve
    I would go with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax topped with Meguiar's Fast Finish. Both are available locally. Protection and looks are great for retail products.

If I had to choose one, Fast Finish for how quick it is to use.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike reviewed a spray on wipe off a few months ago and recommended it very highly but I can't remember what it was. Might have been more like 6 months ago...I would find that and send it to him.

If he isn't hand washing it then it is not likely he will hand wax it either...spray on wipe off is definitely your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    I would go with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax topped with Meguiar's Fast Finish. Both are available locally. Protection and looks are great for retail products.

If I had to choose one, Fast Finish for how quick it is to use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like your idea but want to avoid a two step finish process. The process needs to be as simple as:

1. Take the car through the spray wash.
    2. Give it a little better cleaning using something like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus or Optimum No Rinse.
    3. Use the spray on wipe off wax and be done with it.

Any suggestions on just one last step product for this scenario?

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I like your idea but want to avoid a two step finish process. The process needs to be as simple as:

1. Take the car through the spray wash.
    2. Give it a little better cleaning using something like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus or Optimum No Rinse.
    3. Use the spray on wipe off wax and be done with it.

Any suggestions on just one last step product for this scenario?
    If you only want one step, use Meguiar's Fast Finish. It's super quick and easy for some good protection.