autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots vs. Rupes Pneumatics and air compressor question

Hello folks,

New here and first post.

I'm setting up a garage shop and considering stepping up to pneumatic air polishers. I would also appreciate concrete opinions on air compressor requirements. Note that I am planning on buying more compressor than many here would suggest I need. Just a philosophy I follow for certain tools so that I can mitigate unknown future needs. So here goes:

Air polishers I'm considering

• Rupes:
      LHR75, TA50, and LTA125
    • Griots:
      G10, BOSS micro rotary air

Oddly enough I can't find many reviews online on the Griots air polishers. However, looking at spec sheet alone, the CFM requirements for GG polishers are very low at 2 and 3 CFM@90 (respectively). Not sure how this translates to performance. But obviously that will play a major role in compressor selection. On the other hand, industry consensus says the Rupes air polishers are amazing. BUT, with much higher CFM requirements ranging from 11.7 to 14.1 CFM. Also plays a major role in compressor selection.

So, anyone have any feedback on the GG air polishers vs. Rupes?

Air compressor

I'm looking at either a Kobalt 80 gallon, 5hp two stage air compressor rated at 15.8 CFM@90PSI from Lowes. Not sure if this is still the case, but my understanding is these are Campbell Hausfeld units rebranded for Lowes. So, that's a plus as I like the CH brand. The other option is a Puma 60 gallon, 6.5 hp single stage pumping out 18 CFM@90 PSI. Both are comparably priced.

But, as you can see, one is a two-stage compressor with larger tank. The other is single stage but with higher CFM ratings. If it were you, how do you evaluate this decision? Go for higher CFM and smaller tank? Or the Kobalt with the larger tank, which I presume will give me more continuous working time.

Just want to get a compressor that's not going to disappoint me because I didn't shell out more for a higher CFM capacity.

Mike Phillips

Re: Griots vs. Rupes Pneumatics and air compressor question

Hi Cmac1275

Apologies for the delay in getting to your thread. You posted this on Tuesday, May 7th and I was off yesterday after teaching my 3-day class and then on Monday, May 6th I conducted IDA Skills Validation Testing..

Hands-on!

It's Wednesday and I'm back into the office and a part of my job duties is I approve all pending forum accounts and remove all spammers. (there's a lot of spammers always trying to join this forum), and while doing this I found your THREAD was marked for moderation.

I'm not sure why it was marked for moderation except perhaps because it had the @ sign, this one,

@

In the copy. This sets off an automatic moderating action since this was your first post. When spammers get through they tend to use URLS and @ signs in their spam posts so this is one way we prevent spam from getting onto the forum.

Because your post is not spam I approved it just now. (Wednesday is meeting day)

So I apologies for the delay in finding and then approving your thread, no harm intended.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac1275 View Post

Oddly enough I can't find many reviews online on the Griots air polishers.
    I believe I have reviews on these tools. I can look them up and share them here but I'm a tick busy playing catch-up after being offline for about 7 days to conduct the 3-day class plus IDA SV testing.

However, looking at spec sheet alone, the CFM requirements for GG polishers are very low at 2 and 3 CFM@90 (respectively). Not sure how this translates to performance. But obviously that will play a major role in compressor selection. On the other hand, industry consensus says the Rupes air polishers are amazing. BUT, with much higher CFM requirements ranging from 11.7 to 14.1 CFM. Also plays a major role in compressor selection.

From experience....

All air tools are AIR HOGS - even micro tools.

So, anyone have any feedback on the GG air polishers vs. Rupes?
    I would have to re-visit both brands of air tools but I remember them all working as described.

The bigger picture is this, the reason you don't see a lot of reviews on air tools is because generally speaking electric tools are more popular due to the fact that you don't need a LARGE air compressor.

In my experience, when it comes to any free spinning orbital polishers, electric tools work just as good or better.

The RUPES LHR75 does from what I read appear to be popular for a small footprint free spinning pneumatic polisher. I think the high OPM is like 1,1000 OPM

Air compressor

I'm looking at either a Kobalt 80 gallon, 5hp two stage air compressor rated at 15.8 CFM@90PSI from Lowes. Not sure if this is still the case, but my understanding is these are Campbell Hausfeld units rebranded for Lowes. So, that's a plus as I like the CH brand. The other option is a Puma 60 gallon, 6.5 hp single stage pumping out 18 CFM@90 PSI. Both are comparably priced.

But, as you can see, one is a two-stage compressor with larger tank. The other is single stage but with higher CFM ratings. If it were you, how do you evaluate this decision? Go for higher CFM and smaller tank? Or the Kobalt with the larger tank, which I presume will give me more continuous working time.

Just want to get a compressor that's not going to disappoint me because I didn't shell out more for a higher CFM capacity.

I have a section about air compressors in my RUPES how-to book, what I wrote in it is that if you want to use air tools you want a minimum of a 60 gallon capacity air storage tank and in most cases any reputable brand of air compressor with this size tank will have the power to fill it and keep it filled.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks for your feedback. Although this is my firs post on Autogeek, I've actually been following you since I ordered my first batch of Klasse products from you guys back in 2008. I did get to play around with the Rupes pneumatic tools when I trained at Majestic Solutions here in Raleigh, NC. That LTA125 was smooth but with a little FLEX 3401 in it. Pretty solid tool.

Anyway, my main concern is with the air compressor. I've buying one regardless so I can use air tools, including the Tornador Black. I figure I'd go ahead and invest a little more and buy a compressor that will allow me to accommodate these air polishers as I buy them as well as some wood-working stuff. Looks like 80 gallons is good start. Now I just need to figure out how long that Kobalt unit will let me run the tool continuously. It's a got a 75% duty cycle which is nice. The compressor's CFM rating exceeds the minimum requirements for the Rupes polishers. But I suspect I'd want to run the tool for 3-5 minutes per crosshatch pass (depending on speed or correction stage). Wondering if this unit can allow for that uninterrupted.

Mike Phillips

Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.

Although this is my firs post on Autogeek, I've actually been following you since I ordered my first batch of Klasse products from you guys back in 2008.

I hope I have not disappointed.

Anyway, my main concern is with the air compressor. I've buying one regardless so I can use air tools, including the Tornador Black. I figure I'd go ahead and invest a little more and buy a compressor that will allow me to accommodate these air polishers as I buy them as well as some wood-working stuff. Looks like 80 gallons is good start.

Now I just need to figure out how long that Kobalt unit will let me run the tool continuously. It's a got a 75% duty cycle which is nice. The compressor's CFM rating exceeds the minimum requirements for the Rupes polishers. But I suspect I'd want to run the tool for 3-5 minutes per crosshatch pass (depending on speed or correction stage).

Wondering if this unit can allow for that uninterrupted.

I think you'll be fine. I'm just glad to have someone on the forum that has done their research and completely understands the high volume needs for air tools and is planning and budgeting correctly.

Usually guys that want to purchase and use air tools are asking if a Pancake Compressor from Harbor Freight will work?

Time to leave the forum, have paperwork to process and a garage to clean.

Pictures: May 2019 Detailing Bootcamp Class at Autogeek with Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI...

The LHR75 is every person on the RUPES' USA teams' favorite BigFoot Polisher. It is quite easily the most powerful polisher in the BigFoot line up, and given the class leading torque of the BigFoot series, I dare say it is the most powerful random orbital available, maybe. It is certainly the most powerful I have ever used.

With a random orbital, the smaller the pad, the more aggressive the tool becomes. The LHR75 is pushing all of it's energy thru a four-inch face diameter pad. Factor in a massive 15mm throw and 11,000 RPM (in free air, although on paint RPM/OPM can exceed 9K!!!!) It is simply insane, and when we instruct proper use of the tool (WOT and manage rotation with pressure) the cutting power is absolutely crazy.

The fact that it is super light and very ergonomic are just bonuses.

As far as your air compressor question, my personal preference would be to go with the larger tank.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@RUPES View Post
    Just an FYI...

The LHR75 is every person on the RUPES' USA teams' favorite BigFoot Polisher. It is quite easily the most powerful polisher in the BigFoot line up, and given the class leading torque of the BigFoot series, I dare say it is the most powerful random orbital available, maybe. It is certainly the most powerful I have ever used.

With a random orbital, the smaller the pad, the more aggressive the tool becomes. The LHR75 is pushing all of it's energy thru a four-inch face diameter pad. Factor in a massive 15mm throw and 11,000 RPM (in free air, although on paint RPM/OPM can exceed 9K!!!!) It is simply insane, and when we instruct proper use of the tool (WOT and manage rotation with pressure) the cutting power is absolutely crazy.

Yeah, but you actually are affiliated/work for Rupes. Of course you would tout your own product line. So this post just kind of comes off as "advertising". At least that's the way I see it.

No offense intended.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI...

As far as your air compressor question, my personal preference would be to go with the larger tank.

Cheers
    You understand the greatness and power that holdGriots vs. Rupes Pneumatics and air compressor question

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. And, BTW, your detailing class is on my bucket list. I've committed to a Continuing Ed mindset. So every year, I plan to take at least 1 training workshop/class.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers
    I think I'm right there with you. I suspect I'll be using my FLEX 3401 electric for large panel work. But, I'm stoked to move up from Griot's 3" to a Rupes LHR75 when I'm in my shop. I'll keep the Griot's for mobile work when I don't have access to the compressor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast